Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a clutch and can get a great price on a new spec stage 3 & flywheel. Wanted to see if anyone else has this and if you like it.

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
I have a Spec Stage 3+ clutch, but have McLeod flywheel-one year, no problems.
Make sure if you go with this set-up you have the exact measurements for the spacer.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Probably the best set-up for the money...Mine is brand new less than 150 miles and it's tight as a drum...still getting used to it coming from the mush...

So far it's great:thumbsup:

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
182 Posts
I have been running that setup since January with no problems.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
not with all the horror stories Ive heard about Spec. I considered them, could even get em at distributor cost, but passed for Textralia. Better clutch, more clamping power.... IMHO.

F

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
No on the Spec, guys over at LS1tech can atest to that. If you are going to spend the money, go Mcleod twin disk. I have it in the Trans Am.
It broke 2 Moser 12 bolts, 1 driveshaft, 1 torque arm. The clutch wasn't even sweating...
It is hands down the best clutch for a LSX car.
I have a 228 230 .571. 592 Cam, headers, exhaust LS6 intake, a 100 shot and some other crap. Well over 400 RWHP.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! What if this setup was only $550 new? Would you do it then?

·
Registered
2004 CTSV in Silver/Blk
9 Posts
I just put a new Z06 clutch disk and pressure plate in my car today with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. You'll need a spacer if you go with a good fllywheel (with the exception of the nice UUC alum one.) I ordred the aluminum spacer from Katech (they didn't include the longer bolts (you'll need a pair of 40mm M6-1.0 metric bolts) which aren't common at all stores. OReiley's had 'em. When putting in the spacer, the hydraulic line is moved out, and will no longer sit in the notched recess in the tranny, so I trimmed a notch in the bellhousing, basically just extending the existing notch for the T/O bleeder another 1" toward the driver's side. (It's obvious when you have the bellhousing out).
I say all this assuming you'll go with a lighter flywheel, as it's almost a sin to leave that dual mass flywheel on there if you've got the tranny out to do the clutch.
If I had a spare $1500 then I would also opt for the McLeod twin disk setup too. Then the next weak link is the diff, or the driveshaft...take your pick. It's hard to imagine any single disk setup being better than a multi-disk setup, and McLeod makes good stuff.
You can see it at: http://www.mcleodind.com/downloads/prod_guide_PDFs/Page_6.pdf
or just go to mcleod's website.
Jeg's has it here: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...win&N=1010529&langId=-1&storeId=10001&Ntk=all

I must admit, it makes me a bit bitter to see that McLeod will sell essentially the same clutch setup for roughly $300-600 LESS for everything else, but for the LSX powered cars with the T56...chaching, it's $1500. Ouch. Oh well, quality costs, and I'm not making big power yet anyway, so the budget Z06 setup and alum. flywheel were good enough for me. Engine revs quicker too, and it's a noticable seat-of-the-pants increase in acceleration in 1st gear, and feels a bit better in 2nd too. By 3rd it feels about the same, but deep down it makes me happy knowing the car weighs almost 40# less without spinning the stock flywheel. Common sense says zinging the motor up there and dumping a 51# flywheel worth of KE into the drivetrain...well that energy's gotta go somewhere or something's gotta give. A lighter flywheel is more drivetrain friendly, but can add a bit of NVH. I can't beleive Caddy compromised and went with the dualmass unit because of of that.

Sorry to be so long winded by throwing some rants in there.

Anyone want a fair deal on an almost new Z06 steel flywheel? Or an even better deal on a boat anch...err..stock dual mass flywheel? :)

·
Registered
04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT
623 Posts
I just put a new Z06 clutch disk and pressure plate in my car today with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. You'll need a spacer if you go with a good fllywheel (with the exception of the nice UUC alum one.) :)
So if I understand this, a ZO6 Clutch pressure plate and clutch disk work out of the box with the UUC flywheel. Is that correct?

Thanks,

rgd

threadjacking :thepan: sorry

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
I just put a new Z06 clutch disk and pressure plate in my car today with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. You'll need a spacer if you go with a good fllywheel (with the exception of the nice UUC alum one.) I ordred the aluminum spacer from Katech (they didn't include the longer bolts (you'll need a pair of 40mm M6-1.0 metric bolts) which aren't common at all stores. OReiley's had 'em. When putting in the spacer, the hydraulic line is moved out, and will no longer sit in the notched recess in the tranny, so I trimmed a notch in the bellhousing, basically just extending the existing notch for the T/O bleeder another 1" toward the driver's side. (It's obvious when you have the bellhousing out).
I say all this assuming you'll go with a lighter flywheel, as it's almost a sin to leave that dual mass flywheel on there if you've got the tranny out to do the clutch.
If I had a spare $1500 then I would also opt for the McLeod twin disk setup too. Then the next weak link is the diff, or the driveshaft...take your pick. It's hard to imagine any single disk setup being better than a multi-disk setup, and McLeod makes good stuff.
You can see it at: http://www.mcleodind.com/downloads/prod_guide_PDFs/Page_6.pdf
or just go to mcleod's website.
Jeg's has it here: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...win&N=1010529&langId=-1&storeId=10001&Ntk=all

I must admit, it makes me a bit bitter to see that McLeod will sell essentially the same clutch setup for roughly $300-600 LESS for everything else, but for the LSX powered cars with the T56...chaching, it's $1500. Ouch. Oh well, quality costs, and I'm not making big power yet anyway, so the budget Z06 setup and alum. flywheel were good enough for me. Engine revs quicker too, and it's a noticable seat-of-the-pants increase in acceleration in 1st gear, and feels a bit better in 2nd too. By 3rd it feels about the same, but deep down it makes me happy knowing the car weighs almost 40# less without spinning the stock flywheel. Common sense says zinging the motor up there and dumping a 51# flywheel worth of KE into the drivetrain...well that energy's gotta go somewhere or something's gotta give. A lighter flywheel is more drivetrain friendly, but can add a bit of NVH. I can't beleive Caddy compromised and went with the dualmass unit because of of that.

Sorry to be so long winded by throwing some rants in there.

Anyone want a fair deal on an almost new Z06 steel flywheel? Or an even better deal on a boat anch...err..stock dual mass flywheel? :)
I concur. I spend lots of time at the track. If you are not going to the track the Z06 clutch is fine. The 01 and up F-body came with it stock. My 01 lasted 40,000 miles with a bunch of track abuse. In adddition to that I don't need to mention what else use the Z06 flywheel and clutch...:thumbsup:
I didn't get a lighter flywheel though becuase I needed the durability of the steel one. I just got the Mcleod steel flywheel and I have been real happy with it.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV in Silver/Blk
9 Posts
So if I understand this, a ZO6 Clutch pressure plate and clutch disk work out of the box with the UUC flywheel. Is that correct?

Thanks,

rgd

threadjacking :thepan: sorry
I can't speak with certainty since I haven't handled a UUC flywheel myself, but I'd say that NO, it won't work with a Z06 pplate and disk. The picture of the UUC alum. flywheel I saw appeared to have a recess machined into it (or standoffs for the stock dualmass type pplate, but either way was you look at it the dual mass flywheel is very different from a Z06 flywheel. The Z06 flywheel and all the other lightweight flywheels for the LS1/LS6 engines is about one inch thinner in profile and the entire friction face is flush with the mounting surface. The dualmass has a recessed friction surface, that's part of what makes it "unique" imho. I'll post a pic later to show my dualmass next to a stock Z06 flywheel.

The short answer I beleive is to use your stock pressure plate & disk if you go with the UUC flywheel. I'd say that that'd be a grabby mofo since the the stock disk does NOT have a sprung hub (another new "unique" thing I've never seen OEM on a car....not that it's bad, but just not common). With the huge rubber biscuit on the tranny output and the rubber band driveshaft I'd think solid hub disk oughta be fine.

I hope the Fidanza flywheel holds up....they have a good rep and certainly use quality materials in their stuff.

As a side note, I have nothing against SPEC, and have a stage 3 disk and pplate in my mustang street/strip car, which has been in the 10's for almost 10 years and 40 thousand miles now with no problems....well..not that many miles on the disk. I put a new 26spline disk in when I put a tremec 3550 in the car 4 years ago, and have another 50 or so passes on that with no problems. The car only weighs 2700 pounds, so it's clutch friendly. :)

Does anyone have any info/experience with the light weight aluminum pressure plates for the LS1/LS6 ??? If so I'd love to hear it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went ahead and bought it for $550 so it will be here this week and installed on the weekend. I will report back and let everyone know. This will be my first ever aftermarket clutch on any car.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought it for $550 so it will be here this week and installed on the weekend. I will report back and let everyone know. This will be my first ever aftermarket clutch on any car.
Good for you. I have been following this thread and had conluded that the Spec 3 clutch is likely quite serviceable altough it may not be the equal of clutches costing twice as much.

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
not with all the horror stories Ive heard about Spec. I considered them, could even get em at distributor cost, but passed for Textralia. Better clutch, more clamping power.... IMHO.
F
I went through this too, and ended up with Exedy. Two years and repeated track use and I'm still happy.

Good luck with the Spec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts