Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm closing in on 50,000 miles with a set of Conti DWS and the time for replacement is approaching. Although I've been pleased with them, I have noticed that in the years since I bought them, Cooper has come out with the Zeon RS3-A which has many of the same design features and is quite a bit less expensive. Durability is 20% less with only a 40,000 mile warranty, but traction is rated higher and reviews are good.

Tire life may not be quite as big a factor for me as it was 5 years ago (or whatever) since soon my STS will be 10-years old and I suppose my eye could start to wander. I still love driving my STS and everything works, but I'm driving in that 'sweet-spot' after the CPO & warranty extension have expired and nothing much has gone wrong.

Anyway, by both age & wear, the time for new tires is near and I wondered if anyone had tried Cooper's Zeon in 235 or 255 widths on 18" wheels?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
FWIW, I have Cooper M+S on my Ford Ranger and they get as hard as bakelite when the sun goes down. They are the most useless tire on ice I've ever seen.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the feedback.

Koz - When did you put the M+S on your Ranger? Although all rubber products are harder in your climate than for most of the rest of us, you do not get the direct sunlight that does the most to age the rest of the world's tires.

Sapien - I know what you mean about Michelin. I used to be a major devote' but beginning about 10 years ago, I became sorely disillusioned by how hard their tires had become in the quest for durability and mileage. Do you remember how hard it was for Fred Flintstone to stop? It seemed even harder on the Michelin MXM's that came on my '06 STS when I bought it in December of 2008! The only harder tire was the Michelin Energy on my wife's '07 STS! Those are titanium!

I may just give Chris Heath a call at Rippy's and see what he recommends, too.

·
Premium Member
28,963 Posts
Thank you both for the feedback.

Koz - When did you put the M+S on your Ranger? Although all rubber products are harder in your climate than for most of the rest of us, you do not get the direct sunlight that does the most to age the rest of the world's tires.

Sapien - I know what you mean about Michelin. I used to be a major devote' but beginning about 10 years ago, I became sorely disillusioned by how hard their tires had become in the quest for durability and mileage. Do you remember how hard it was for Fred Flintstone to stop? It seemed even harder on the Michelin MXM's that came on my '06 STS when I bought it in December of 2008! The only harder tire was the Michelin Energy on my wife's '07 STS! Those are titanium!

I may just give Chris Heath a call at Rippy's and see what he recommends, too.
Chris Heath has left Rippy Cadillac.

---------------------------------------------

As strange as it may seem, mid-summer, we have 24hr. sunlight with temps sometimes into the ninties.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand the basics of Anchorage's climate. Without any intent to offend, I really don't think you'd equate the affects of your May-July Summer with the Sunbelt's unrelenting furnace & the subsequent damage to soft materials of all sorts. I would appreciate your insight & experience with your Ranger's tires. How long have you had them?

I think I did read about Chris' change. I wish him success, but it will be his. He cared about his customers. That's far too rare.

·
Registered
2006 sts
26 Posts
Put a set on my '06 STS4 about a month ago. At the time I didn't know they came from China. Had to glue one on the rim, would not seal.
I know, should have sent them back. Company would have replaced the questionable one or a different brand, not worth the hassle.
Well they are still holding air and they hold the road very well. Excellent cornering
I don't drive crazy in wet or snow conditions so I find them more them adequate.
They do transmit surface texture noise above 75MPH. It's not tire noise, on smooth surface. you can't hear a thing.
As I said to the sales rep, I measure tread depth every time I rotate tires (every time I change the oil). So I'll watch the wear rate.
One other thing, they run at a low TP, like 30psi, too low for me. I keep them at 35psi, which may contribute to the road noise.

·
Premium Member
28,963 Posts
I understand the basics of Anchorage's climate. Without any intent to offend, I really don't think you'd equate the affects of your May-July Summer with the Sunbelt's unrelenting furnace & the subsequent damage to soft materials of all sorts. I would appreciate your insight & experience with your Ranger's tires. How long have you had them?

I think I did read about Chris' change. I wish him success, but it will be his. He cared about his customers. That's far too rare.
Our climate is very different from Anchorage with much greater extremes. They had to abandon winter sports this year for lack of snow. I've had two sets of the Cooper M+S and both were hard as a rock from new.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
EChas3 said:
I'm closing in on 50,000 miles with a set of Conti DWS and the time for replacement is approaching. Although I've been pleased with them, I have noticed that in the years since I bought them, Cooper has come out with the Zeon RS3-A which has many of the same design features and is quite a bit less expensive. Durability is 20% less with only a 40,000 mile warranty, but traction is rated higher and reviews are good. Tire life may not be quite as big a factor for me as it was 5 years ago (or whatever) since soon my STS will be 10-years old and I suppose my eye could start to wander. I still love driving my STS and everything works, but I'm driving in that 'sweet-spot' after the CPO & warranty extension have expired and nothing much has gone wrong. Anyway, by both age & wear, the time for new tires is near and I wondered if anyone had tried Cooper's Zeon in 235 or 255 widths on 18" wheels?
Just put a set on the 03 STS replacing good year assurances.

Seem like a quality tire. Haven't tested them in snow yet but I have a set of front rims and snow tires for that for the old FWD.

I personally would stick with the DWSs as it's proven itself in snow and looking at th tread pattern it appears it's asymmetric tread has a better bite pattern than the RS3s

·
Registered
2006 sts
26 Posts
I put the Cooper RS3-A, 235/17 on my STS4. I was disappointed with them being made in china since Cooper has plants in the US, UK and China.
The sales dept for the supplier says their QC is just as good over there as here. We will see. I do like the ride and traction, plus I did get the warranty.
It's listed as a M&S tire, it works very well in rain and lite snow 2"-3". Anymore than that and I have a Jeep and Chev dually to get around in.

·
Registered
2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry
390 Posts
Thnx palehorse, i am getting close to buying a set of new ones myself, its good to get every opinion, yours is great.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update - I decided to stick with Continentals, but found a good deal on the 255/45ZR18 103Y XL, which has a bit higher load range & treadlife rating than the 235/50R18's that served me well. My local guy only uses Hunter Road-Force Balancing; any other method is second choice in my 'book'. So far. so good.

Tire Rack was a bit lower than TiresDirect.net, but the shipping was a lot less and I got them the next day via UPS!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts