Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my fenders rolled and for the life of me I cannot find anyone in Chicago who 1) knows what I am talking about and 2) has the tool to do it... So I was looking on the net and saw this:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=3511&page_number=1

Anyone has tried this? Looks like the easiest way to get the fender rolled... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Aaagh! I'd never do that to my baby! I'd just get one of the rollers that mount onto your rotor. I dont know where to locate them though, but I'm sure other people here know what I am talking about
 

·
Registered
03 CTS
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
He must be experiencing some rubbing with his aftermarket rims... U roll your fenders to prevent rubbing and premature tire wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
WOW!!!!!
I'd never EVER consider doing that to my car! I'm seriously shocked nbtesq that you may even fathem the idea of taking a baseball bat for some body work on an 05' CTS. No No No is all I have to say, and I hope you didn't already try it.

I don't see why you'd have any rubbing, especially since myself and many other members are rollin' 20's and don't have any problems
 

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
http://www.rollyourfender.com/

I rented the tool from them... Rolled my fenders and returned it. It was very easy and the price to rent it was much cheaper than buying it or having a shop do it.
 

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
SDMarine was the member who was looking into buying this and renting it to members for a small fee to help pay for the tool. The issue is not wheel diameter (i.e., 20's), but rather tire width and wheel offset. Marine put some very wide wheels and tires on the rear of his CTS (20x10's with something like 285/35R20's). With that wide of tire and certain offsets, it will rub on the fender, especially when you have three of your football player buddies in the back seat. I think Marine used the non-load leveling shocks when he put his Eibach lowering springs on (per Eibachs recommendation), which exacerbates the problem.

I'm running 18" wheels with 40mm offset and 245 tires, using Eibachs and WildWhl modified Nivomats in the rear. I don't have any rubbing issues what so ever, so don't need to roll the fenders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haute_heir said:
WOW!!!!!
I'd never EVER consider doing that to my car! I'm seriously shocked nbtesq that you may even fathem the idea of taking a baseball bat for some body work on an 05' CTS. No No No is all I have to say, and I hope you didn't already try it.

I don't see why you'd have any rubbing, especially since myself and many other members are rollin' 20's and don't have any problems
lol... no no no... I am just curious. I have an appointment tomorrow with a body shop... $50 a fender or 2 fenders for $75...

I must reckon that the idea of putting a bat between the tires and the fender appears to be simple enough... at first brush. But when you think about it a bit more...

At least here is something we can all agree... nixing this idea...lol!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
odysseus said:
SDMarine was the member who was looking into buying this and renting it to members for a small fee to help pay for the tool. The issue is not wheel diameter (i.e., 20's), but rather tire width and wheel offset. Marine put some very wide wheels and tires on the rear of his CTS (20x10's with something like 285/35R20's). With that wide of tire and certain offsets, it will rub on the fender, especially when you have three of your football player buddies in the back seat. I think Marine used the non-load leveling shocks when he put his Eibach lowering springs on (per Eibachs recommendation), which exacerbates the problem.

I'm running 18" wheels with 40mm offset and 245 tires, using Eibachs and WildWhl modified Nivomats in the rear. I don't have any rubbing issues what so ever, so don't need to roll the fenders.
I have the same tires and only experience rubbing when I hit a bump at more than 60 mph... or a deeper bump at about 40-45 mph...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,187 Posts
odysseus said:
SDMarine was the member who was looking into buying this and renting it to members for a small fee to help pay for the tool. The issue is not wheel diameter (i.e., 20's), but rather tire width and wheel offset. Marine put some very wide wheels and tires on the rear of his CTS (20x10's with something like 285/35R20's). With that wide of tire and certain offsets, it will rub on the fender, especially when you have three of your football player buddies in the back seat. I think Marine used the non-load leveling shocks when he put his Eibach lowering springs on (per Eibachs recommendation), which exacerbates the problem.

I'm running 18" wheels with 40mm offset and 245 tires, using Eibachs and WildWhl modified Nivomats in the rear. I don't have any rubbing issues what so ever, so don't need to roll the fenders.
The tires are 275/30/20 in the rear and I dont rub at all. I have the eibach springs with non load leveling shocks. I put a 300 pound guy on each side of my back seat and flew across a railroad track to make sure I was good to go.
 

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
Marine, did you end up rolling the fenders or did you find that your rear wheels have an offset that keeps them from rubbing?

I know that PJ had his done at a shop when he lowered his CTS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,187 Posts
odysseus said:
Marine, did you end up rolling the fenders or did you find that your rear wheels have an offset that keeps them from rubbing?

I know that PJ had his done at a shop when he lowered his CTS.
I got my rear fenders cut because they were taking chunks off from my tires after I lowered it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I have 245-35-20's on mine I think its a 40mm offset, and I have never rubbed. I have had well over 800 lbs in the backseat and trunk of my car and cruised at about 100mph over really heaved and bump roads, which I have bottomed the suspension out of most cars and SUV's I drive through there. Never had rubbing issues with this car, thats why I'm curious as to why you guys on 18's have such a problem?

I do notice when I park and have the steering wheel slightly turned that the front tires come less than a quarter inch from rubbing the edge of the side part of the bumper...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
Haute, is your ride lowered? If not, maybe that's why. In my case, I never had any rubbing issues at all with my 20s until I lowered it....Then my friend who was running the same exact wheels and lowering springs had no rubbing issues:hmm: ....so I had my front fender flared a little...Eventually my dealer replaced my Eibach springs for free since apparently there was an issue with the springs....otherwise, I would have not rubbed and have not rubbed since
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I used the baseball bat method on my previous car after I put on aftermarket rims & tires. It was a 1999 Honda Accord but the bat did the trick. I found that certain rim & tire combinations were worse than others for offset & width. It really depends on how much you want to change the look of your baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok.. .done. I had both rear fenders rolled. Cost me $75 and 2 hours of waiting in the customer service. They did a great job-no paint damage :)

I drove the CTS on Lake Shore Drive (known for its bad surface) and no rubbing at all... feels good to be able to drive fast without caring :)

Thanks for all the advice!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top