Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DTS / 1973 fleetwood
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i find my self thinking of getting a new DTS now and again,, anyone else??

the more i see them on the road the more i'm starting to like them.

but at first the new design didnt quite appeal to me...seemed so much smaller - not unlike the C6 vette.

anyone done a 'back-to-back' ride with their '00-'04 deville and a new DTS?

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
I would like to do the side to side comparison. I read in an old Consumer Reports that the handling in the new DTS has diminished from the older generation Deville DTS, although the interior of the new DTS is much nicer and lacks the typical GM "cheapo-lux" to it (Think late 90's Escalade)"

·
Registered
2002 DTS - Mystic Bronze
28 Posts
I have. I've owned an '02 DeVille DTS for about 6 weeks, driven it 2K miles, and I just rented a well equipped '07 for 1 week / 600 miles.

My impressions are:

I prefer the '02's inside styling. The '02 seemed to me more refined, more elegant, and more American. The '07 is very muted, less plush and more Germanic. I prefer the dash of the '02 with almost 3-D like analog gages and a bright green digital compliment, while the '07 is just flat with a black on white digital view. The door arms of the '02 slope up comfortably, while the '07 tilt down. The dash of the '02 is closer to the driver at the top and has a nice Zambrano wood accent, while the '07 slants away. The dash of the '02 is padded, the '07 hard, non-reflective plastic. And the buttons / dials on the '02 are bigger and more logical, while the '07 are smaller and use international icons for identication. The center console on the '02 has two levels for storage, while the '07 has one, and the '02 gas tank is lock released from the inside, the '07 does not lock.

I did prefer the interior lights of the '07 (halogen or neon, not incandescent, very nice glow), and I loved the air conditioned front seats on the '07, very nice feature.

The view out the front of the '02 is all hood and all good, the '07 seems to rake the hood lower so all you see is road. Nice, but I get that same view from a bus thank you. I'm driving a Cadillac, let there be plenty of glorious hood in my view constantly reminding me how lucky I am.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bouncy.gif
:bouncy:

Exterior changes to me are just what you prefer, both the 00-05 and the 06, 07 look good to my eye. I did notice the '02 has rubber stripping under the hood along the front fenders, and the '07 did not. Trunks were the same.

Both cars have sweet, comfortable rides, and accelerate effortlessly, however the '07 rental had ~ 25K hard miles on it, and the Continental tires were worn and a bit shaky at highway cruising speed; the Michelins on my '02 are better.

Lastly, my two teenager kids told me they preferred the '02 inside to the '07, so hello Cadillac, you might have taken a step backwards by abandoning the American style to look more like a Euro-Lux.

All above is in my humble opinion, which is worth about 2 cents adjusted for inflation.:bigroll:

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 03 DTS and I've driven a bare bones 07 DTS. I prefer the interior of the 02. Its much more artistic and luxurious. I prefer the exterior of the 07. The sheet metal on the sides is identical to the 03, which is shocking, but the grill and trunk are different enough to make it look like a whole new car. Much more glitzy.

Its important to note that the new DTS is several hundred pounds lighter. I think its all in the interior.

·
Registered
Custom 2005 Cadillac Deville, Pimp Edition
275 Posts
i find my self thinking of getting a new DTS now and again,, anyone else??

the more i see them on the road the more i'm starting to like them.

but at first the new design didnt quite appeal to me...seemed so much smaller - not unlike the C6 vette.

anyone done a 'back-to-back' ride with their '00-'04 deville and a new DTS?
I like the lights which are all bluish and hightec, the air conditioned seats, although they need to better those (make them blow more air), also they used a new kind of plastic on the dash so it wouldn't crack like the older models, also has an ipod hookup. its a nice car, but not that different from the 2000-05 deville.

·
Registered
96 Concours, 2002 DHS, 2004 SRX
172 Posts
Also my 02 releases the parking brake when I put the car in drive and the 07 doesn't. Back to the 50s!

·
Registered
2001 DTS / 1973 fleetwood
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll have to drive one. i'm getting the feeling the new DTS is no upgrade from the 00-05's.

i love the ride of my '01 DTS, and the interior is stunning, and still smells like rich leather.

guess i should hold off, and enjoy what i have !!

·
Registered
Custom 2005 Cadillac Deville, Pimp Edition
275 Posts
i'll have to drive one. i'm getting the feeling the new DTS is no upgrade from the 00-05's.

i love the ride of my '01 DTS, and the interior is stunning, and still smells like rich leather.

guess i should hold off, and enjoy what i have !!
Mine as well I guess. We just got an 06 for my mom, it was a good deal. it was a GM exec's car from Hawaii, so he had it for 6 months or however long and then the dealership bought it at auction, and we got it for around $30,000. Interesting story behind the car, I kind of wish mine was from Hawaii. XD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts