Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how did it come out...how did you do it? is it worth it? im at 114k miles right now...just wanna keep my car running good

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
If you want to keep it running good, lose the Seafoam and drive it like you stole it. The North* motor depends on spirited use to keep its insides in good order.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,455 Posts
Follow the posted advice - keep it clean, well-maintained and don't be afraid to intelligently exercise the car to its limits on occasion.

Spend the time and money on running a Top Tier gasoline. Google it.

I work part-time behind the parts counter at a local Western Auto. I try to sell TONS of Seafoam and other snake oils. Google "spiff".

(I, personally, would not run the stuff in my worst enemy's Briggs & Stratton blown-up lawnmower engine.)

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
165 Posts
if they are dirty you can clean the throttle body and plate with top engine cleaner or similar. it's a recommended service on this car after 50K miles

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Throttle-body cleaning specifically helps if your car has a tendency to not respond to light accelerator pressure, leading to starts from a stop less gentle than desired. Failure to use Top Tier fuel increases the need for cleaning and potentially increases wear. A throttle plate should not easily wear a groove in its seat, but deposits can be abrasive.

·
Registered
2007 cadillac sts v6
47 Posts
forgive me for my ignorance but do all north star engines day north star ? I have 2007 sts v6 n today I put seafoam with premium gasoline...

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Amigobear718 said:
forgive me for my ignorance but do all north star engines day north star ? I have 2007 sts v6 n today I put seafoam with premium gasoline...
What?

Only the V8 engine was the Northstar.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
framedforlife said:
unless he bought an olds with the shortstar.
The 3.5 was nicknamed "shortstar". It was NEVER officially called it nor a badge designated for it. Also it was NEVER used in any Cadillac during it's time period let alone a sigma body STS.

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
Every oil change I'll run a bottle of chevron techron fuel additive in my gas. Seemed to smooth out the idle in my 03 STS so I figure it's doing something so I use it in all my cars.

·
Administrator
68,455 Posts
Again.................... run a Top Tier gasoline in whatever octane floats your boat and you get the TECHRON included.

Google "chevron techron" and "top tier gasoline".

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS V8 1SF
84 Posts
Every oil change I'll run a bottle of chevron techron fuel additive in my gas. Seemed to smooth out the idle in my 03 STS so I figure it's doing something so I use it in all my cars.
I second the use of Techron and/or the use of "top tier" gasoline; a good throttle body cleaning now and again (along with tight plenum bolts) is super easy to do and keeps the N* smooth and responsive.

·
Administrator
68,455 Posts
Every now and then AutoBarn runs a special on TECHRON - last time around I bought a case of 12 for half price.

TECHRON is a powerful fuel system cleaner, not recommended any more frequently than 5,000 miles, particularly if you run a TopTier gasoline.

GM dealerships sell a fuel system cleaner - it used to be 100% TECHRON. I'm not sure just what it is now. If you Google some of the spec sheets on various fuel additives you'll find that most are some proportion of Stoddard solvent, naphtha, mineral oil, and maybe another aromatic solvent. Actually, some pretty nasty stuff.

Read Post #3 again. Google "spiff".

·
Administrator
68,455 Posts
TECHRON is (or seems to be) pretty good stuff when used on infrequent occasions. Seafoam is one of the spiff items - TECHRON is not.

heck - I still keep a quart bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil on the shelf ................

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
If any one of the snake oil products was significantly better that the rest it would be the only one on the market but instead the list is endless. There must be hundreds if not thousands of additives that have sprung on the scene and then faded away over the years. I'll bet there were hustlers selling possum grease and duck butter for the axles of Roman chariots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts