Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to order the thunder racing TR224 w/114lsa tomorrow. Just wondering if any of you fellow V owners are running this cam? I know that a lot of the Vett boys are using them with good numers (400+ w/bolt on's) More then likely will use the patriot dual golds with some comp pushrods and call it good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What spec aftermarket cams are you guys running? I was also looking at the Thunder Cheatr cam but figured with LT's and full exhaust the TR224 would be better. I just can not decide on the the LSA now, they offer 112 and 114, Im leaning towards 114 for a better idle.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Have Patrick G spec you a custom cam based on what you want.

He works with Thunder Racing. So after he specs it, they can put it with a kit and price everything.

http://guerragroup.com/camshaft_help.htm

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good, I will have to check out his stuff, I have talked with him before about my 408 SS and seems to be a very good guy. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
I have custom grind in my WS6, It is 228/230 intake .571 exhaust .592 at 112 LSA. It idles good and has good power on the stock heads.
I have the Patriot gold valve springs and I am very happy. I imagine in the V interior noise is low so you won't here them inside the car. You can hear them in the F-body, but that is how I like it. I believe it will pass emissions. Don't have them where I am at but I know guys with a similar setup that have passed.
View Video on FQuick
This is what is shounds like. (mac mid length, high flow cats, magna flow)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not worried about being loud (SW LT's/RT cats/ magnaflow) Im more worried about how much it will lope. I need it to be close to stock so the techs at the dealer don't freak out when I bring it in for a seat belt under warranty and they saw the cam in the car caused that.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Man you have crappy dealer...The bird had a transferable extended warranty when I got it. After all the stuff I did they still fixed the rearend, window motor and headlight motor.
Why would they care about a cam for a seatbelt?
At anyrate the 224 will be noticable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry did not mean to mislead you, I was just trying to reference the crazy dealer theory on things. They like to link things to why parts fail and it could never be GM's fault.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Sorry did not mean to mislead you, I was just trying to reference the crazy dealer theory on things. They like to link things to why parts fail and it could never be GM's fault.
I LOL at that, so true. "Hey man I think your cam or headers caused your window motor to fail" :):bouncy:

To be honest I was suprised they covered the rearend.
The dealer said "Hey extended warranty, why would I care, I get paid, Bring it back for anyting and I mean anything." Now that is service

The Cheater cam is pretty good.
A buddy of mine who is a mod at LS1tech made 30 RWHP and 45 Ft/lbs of torque from one in a stock heads and intake LS1 GTO.

If you want stealth that would be the way to go...
Hey but F- that. Loud means fast. Hahahahahaha :thumbsup::bouncy::stirpot:

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
I have the thunder racing cam 224/224 .563 114lsa cam and its very docile.

I had the crane dual valve springs first time out and they broke at 23K miles...and no damage since they were duals...Now I have the comp 921 duals which are more expensive and really built for cams with over .600 lift which the TR224 doesn't.

The patriot golds are a very good choice and I would have done them except the tuner I was using wanted to use the comps so I followed his lead.

Good luck...and figure around 400rwhp with headers...(give or take 10 rwhp)

Remember to ask how often you need to replace the valve springs ...

The cranes were supposed to last 30K miles but didn't.

Like I said the TR224 with a nice tune is pretty mild.

quite honestly I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Sometimes I think I should have gone with a bigger cam and sometimes I think I should have stayed stock.

The stock setup is very strong. Its a nice balance between drivability, performance and reliability. Make sure you want to enter into the realm of modded cars...

Its not always gravy as time goes on...

Its hard for me to say this but I just replaced the rear differential this past week and thats without track time...It had hardened halfshafts and was a getrag 3.73 unit.

This time around I went with a stock 3.42 because the 3.73's are on back order and I didn't have time to wait.

Remember once you do headers which need to be done for any aftermarket cam...imo the spark plug wires, the o2 sensor wires can burn through and it takes time to figure out ....(before you figure it out you can often replace a lot of unecessary other items...)

Often times it can be a pain in the @ss....so think long and hard...

BTW...the TR224 is a very mild cam.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input on the cam. I know all to well the in and outs of modding a new vehicle, my Silverado SS was sold with a 408 in it. Im just concerned about the dealer giving me problems but Im thinking things will be fine. Im pressing on with this one. You can not go wrong with 400 RWHP that is reliable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts