Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not in an area where E85 is available so I'm considering a Meth Injection Kit for a Daily Driver.

I've run Meth before on an outboard boat with nitrous so I'm not afraid of it. If I kept that thing alive I can keep anything alive.

Who's running what kit? What are the advantages of one kit over another aside from the tank size?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
ATS-V
761 Posts
I ran an Alky Control meth kit for a couple of years. It's a good kit. I think the main caveat is a lack of a good fail safe; your foot may not be fast enough. Also, unless you are going some sort of port-ish injection it's hard to ensure an equal amount of meth gets into each cylinder. I also got tired of the seals going in the pumps. If you run pure meth or a high concentration of meth to water, you can count on replacing your pump often, and hope it doesn't go during a pull. That can get expensive.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-v, 2021 Corvette HTC
305 Posts
I had meth injection on the one I sold 2 weeks ago. I personally would never do straight meth again. Would do water/meth injection for two reasons: Meth has an invisible flame, which is not cool in a crash. Second is that straight meth is really corrosive to the pump, and turns the pump into a consumable. My ATS-v was easily quicker than my C8 though, so it worked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had meth injection on the one I sold 2 weeks ago. I personally would never do straight meth again. Would do water/meth injection for two reasons: Meth has an invisible flame, which is not cool in a crash. Second is that straight meth is really corrosive to the pump, and turns the pump into a consumable. My ATS-v was easily quicker than my C8 though, so it worked.
Can I ask where you sold your V? I'm worn out on the dealerships and need another site to search other than autotrader.

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
744 Posts
I'm not in an area where E85 is available so I'm considering a Meth Injection Kit for a Daily Driver.

I've run Meth before on an outboard boat with nitrous so I'm not afraid of it. If I kept that thing alive I can keep anything alive.

Who's running what kit? What are the advantages of one kit over another aside from the tank size?

Thanks in advance.
I have been using water/meth in every car I have owned since mid 1970s
Most have been Corvettes with flywheel HP from 500 to 700 (when using N20)
Have many times used a Boroscope and found valves and pistons clean due to use of water/meth
and have sent used engine oil to Blackstone Testlabs to analyze and never find issues in using water/meth

Most water/meth kits are overpriced and if possible putting the parts together on your own would make it cheaper

The real question is how and when water/meth is triggered on and off
Simple kits just use like MAP, or TPS or MAF as a simple trigger switch but best is those kits that sell a programmable controller
The best of those is progressive, so the more engine load, the higher the water/meth pump is commanded to flow more volume.
Second question is what water/meth jet size to use.
I have different ones of flow and depending on race doing swap to what flow size I want.
Look at the Snow kits. Snow was bought up by a company that sells N20 kits and sells a controller and pump that has multi trigger options and progressive with pump that works with that

Here is chassis dyno pull while running both water/meth and NOS (200 HP shot)

This was at 4,000 feet elevation, 90 deg weather and being the water/meth reduces engine knock I
had dialed in more timing with no issues and water/meth has been used with that engine for at least 7 years

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the details Team ZR1. I'm leaning toward the AEM Kit that uses MAP and the injection can be ramped.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You're Welcome

I assume your going with the newer V3 version as that nozzle has a better spray pattern than the older V2 model

I cheat when I can and use the windshield washer container, so it does that task and also for the water/meth
Also, if just for street driving I use the winter -20 deg windshield washer fluid (the blue colored [NOT the orange colored]) as it has 38% Methanol in it

But even 50/50 % water/Meth does no damage to windshield or the washer parts. Been doing that for many years
Plus that tank has a built-in low fluid sensor to light in the dash

·
Registered
744 Posts
I do not know what nozzle they use and if it has an internal filter

You should find out, so you know to keep it clean as I see many times people having engine problems
and I find they never cleaned the filter and reduce the fluid flow, causing more knock and loss of timing

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're Welcome

I assume your going with the newer V3 version as that nozzle has a better spray pattern than the older V2 model

I cheat when I can and use the windshield washer container, so it does that task and also for the water/meth
Also, if just for street driving I use the winter -20 deg windshield washer fluid (the blue colored [NOT the orange colored]) as it has 38% Methanol in it

But even 50/50 % water/Meth does no damage to windshield or the washer parts. Been doing that for many years
Plus that tank has a built-in low fluid sensor to light in the dash
^This is good advice.

Years ago I ran a Snow Performance kit on my hot rod Subaru AVO turbo, IC, DW injectors, Cobb DP, etc etc I used the the same system you used with blue ww fluid and stock ww tank with great results. Plain water will work very well also but the ww fluid does raise the octane a little and it won't freeze. I'm looking into the Snow kit now, cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-v, 2021 Corvette HTC
305 Posts
Can I ask where you sold your V? I'm worn out on the dealerships and need another site to search other than autotrader.
I sold it to a guy who was buying it for his fiancé. Was an easy sale. I look at autotrader the next week and see my car for sale in Chicago for $60K! Wish him luck. I was happy to sell it for what I did in the middle of Montana.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
17,811 Posts
CarGurus.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts