Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Escalade,17 Chevy SS,88Corvette,71Corvette
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year when the snow and ice came I would use my Impala SS ( FWD). My son got his license so that car became his. I was torn between getting Blizzaks or renting a car this year. Decided to rent a car so now I'm cruising in a 4 cyl 2015 Hyundai Sonata and my V is sitting in the garage. I drive a lot so it's saving me on the mileage plus I don't have to worry about more road rash from salt and sand.
Anyone else in the snowy areas do something similar?

·
Registered
CTSV, Denali
396 Posts
did you rent for the full season?

as you stated its nice to beat on someone else s car in the winter so your car doesn't get hurt. but money wise i think you would be better off spending 5 grand and having a beater truck. Thats just me.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I was always driving my work car so keeping it in the garage if the roads were snow covered was no biggie.

The last winter I had my V I got it some Blizzaks. And it was great. I had a lot of fun and the V did very well...

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
After six winters driving two Vs through winters, I decided this year I was going to give my V wagon a break.

Originally, I paid around $6k during the summer for a beater SUV. Then, my car ADD kicked in after a couple of months with that SUV and I leased an Acura RLX Sport Hybrid. It's got AWD so it gets through all conditions easily. It is also quite fast so I get to have some fun while driving it. Not surprising, given it has the drivetrain of the NSX, other than that it's pointed the opposite direction and missing two turbos.

My wagon still has Blizzaks on it, though. It is no garage queen and I bring it out when it's not snowing and the roads are dry, to minimize salt exposure.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
I picked up a used 4wd RAV4 early last year for Home Depot runs and winter beater duty. The V still gets driven regularly though.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
710 Posts
I am fortunate I can drive a company 4x4 pickup in the winter if I choose. I've driven my V in quite a bit of snow, I just like to keep the winter wear and tear down a bit. As it stands I put 12K+ miles on my V each year WITHOUT driving much in the winter.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
I have a 2013 Jeep GC Overland/Summit, 4WD/AWD that handles winter duty very well. The V gets a rest on battery tender, until some decent weather when I usually take it out for some exercise/fun.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
mainly, Suburban. Also have access to a Pilot, a Focus, and a Corolla. Mustang GT is about as much of a snow car as the V, so they keep each other company in the garage till the snow melts.

·
Registered
17 Escalade,17 Chevy SS,88Corvette,71Corvette
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My rental cost isn't that bad. Renting it week to week now. May just rent for Feb. Also have an escalade that's in my driveway also. Wife uses that one.

·
Registered
<-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(
1,172 Posts
Drive my V all year long, as long as no snow/salt on the roads. Unfortunately, last few years that means not much in the winter. But, just picked this up a month ago, and love it.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
710 Posts
Speaking of rental cars/trucks, I've been renting a 2015 Ford F-250 Diesel 4x4 from Enterprise the past few months while my V has been down. $569 per month. Made the reservation online. When I picked up the truck they wanted to charge me $1500/month until I showed them my reservation. Now its not loaded or anything but its a damn nice truck for that kind of money.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Speaking of rental cars/trucks, I've been renting a 2015 Ford F-250 Diesel 4x4 from Enterprise the past few months while my V has been down. $569 per month. Made the reservation online. When I picked up the truck they wanted to charge me $1500/month until I showed them my reservation. Now its not loaded or anything but its a damn nice truck for that kind of money.
Holy Carp that's cheaper than leasing. Somebody on the online side of the business must be getting reamed for that one......

·
Registered
2005 CTS
1 Posts
FYI the 2005 Cadillac CTS is a piece of crap. I have had nothing but trouble with mine. Catalytic Converter went out early and so did everything else.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Wrong forum. You should post this in the Gen 1 CTS forum and title it who gives a crap.

FYI the 2005 Cadillac CTS is a piece of crap. I have had nothing but trouble with mine. Catalytic Converter went out early and so did everything else.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
Dementia has set in. The mind is the second thing that goes...I can't remember the first.

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
This is my first northern winter in about twenty years. I definitely do not ennoy the Michigan winter so far. My beater with a heater is a free 1998 Eldorado Touring Coupe. It does surprisingly well in the snow. But i still wish i had RWD or a 4x4 pick-up or something. If they offer the chevy Colorado in a turbo diesel next winter i will be looking at it very seriously. Until then the plan is to find a good excuse to move back to Florida Texas, or Louisiana.

----------

This is my first northern winter in about twenty years. I definitely do not ennoy the Michigan winter so far. My beater with a heater is a free 1998 Eldorado Touring Coupe. It does surprisingly well in the snow. But i still wish i had RWD or a 4x4 pick-up or something. If they offer the chevy Colorado in a turbo diesel next winter i will be looking at it very seriously. Until then the plan is to find a good excuse to move back to Florida Texas, or Louisiana.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
I never wanted to meet any of these wankers. Too much inbreeding.. Along these same lines, I knew a fellow who had to be taught to swallow (for real). Maybe his brother?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts