Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I finally got my stereo hooked up in my caddy. Kenwood 600W amp bridged pushing two Alpine S series 12's, with an Alpine head unit (7860 or something like that). Sounds good, but not nearly as loud in the caddy as it was in my old Nissan 240SX (Gotta lot more car for that sound to travel through!)

One of the main reasons I bought this land yacht of mine was for the trunk. It's pretty cavernous, and screams "go big!" to me when it comes to car audio. I'm thinkin rip out the spare, put a false floor in to bring the level up and flatten it out. Put the amps under the false floor close to the rear end of the car and put in plexi windows. Cool the amps with fans. Then I'm thinking where the spare is, build a vertical wall and have 2 12's firing rearward, using the trunk as the box by fiberglassing the vertical wall to the metal, and sealing the trunk up back where the seat is. Then put two more 12's on the sides firing inward, again by using the trunk and MDF walls as the boxes, and porting it. Then finally, dynamat the underside of the trunklid, and somehow paint/silkscreen a huge caddy crest and wreath on the dynamat.

Needless to say, this is a huge investment in time and money. And its on the back burner, say a year or so down the road. Gotta replace my 4100 and get her in tip top mechanical shape before i dump money in stupid stuff like stereo equipment. But I'd like to do some research on how to go about doing a project like this. Can anyone recommend books on how to do a project like this? I'm very handy and have access to lots of tools. I've built all my own sub boxes so far, I refuse to pay someone to do something like this. Right now I know generally how to do it, but I'm looking for specifics. I'm entirely sure someones done a project like this before, so I'd like to take a look at an install like this before doing it myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like you really want to be heard. You might consider checking out www.soundillusions.net or search around for other Car Audio forums. I don't have the technical know-how when it comes to car audio so I can't directly help you myself. Good Luck with whatever you figure out.

-Kevin

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
You should talk to SoundAdvantage. Look him up in the "members" list and send him an email if need be. He's the man with the plan.
To me, it sounds like you're going about it the wrong way but he can tell you for sure. Using the trunk as an enclosure is NOT the ideal thing. Number one it's made of thin metal, number two it's shape is not ideal acoustically, and finally four 12" subs in that trunk is serious over-kill. If you're looking for sound "quality" at least. If you're just one of these guys dying to dump a lot of gear (and money) into a small space to try to impress people, then what the hell, go for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Katshot said:
To me, it sounds like you're going about it the wrong way but he can tell you for sure. Using the trunk as an enclosure is NOT the ideal thing. Number one it's made of thin metal, number two it's shape is not ideal acoustically, and finally four 12" subs in that trunk is serious over-kill. If you're looking for sound "quality" at least. If you're just one of these guys dying to dump a lot of gear (and money) into a small space to try to impress people, then what the hell, go for it.
I agree with Katshot 100%. IMO you'd be better off with a single-sub set-up. It might sounds crazy but in many cases a single-sub can out perform 4-subs. It's all in the install. If all you want is to get real loud then go with a Digital Design 9515, or something like that. If you want to get loud with sound quality get something like the Crystal Mobile Sound CMPx2. 4 12's is a lot to work with, almost to much if you ask me. With a single-sub set-up you'll be able to fit it into your trunk much easier, and still have room for that spare. Plus you'll only need one amp, and with the money you saved buying one sub as opposed to four, you can get a much better amp. Hope this helps.

-Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
first off the 240 is a hatch back right if the subs were facing tha hatch area they were reproducing bass signals called bass reproduction it happens in bandpass boxes some sport utility vechiles and hatch backs no if your new car has a trunk you need to alow the sound to come through to the cabin area .if you have an armrest fold it down look and see if there is like a hard piece of cardboard ther if so take it out this will help in getting louder sounds into the cabin area .

·
Registered
19 Posts
BIG as in 1000+ watts? Meaning possible alternator upgrade or additions? Battery upgrade or additions. Big thick expensive power wire. The amp is the least of your problems. Feeding it is the key issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
97DevilleTwinkies