Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove an AWD DI CTS today. It had this strange whine that almost sounded like it was coming through the stereo but it wasn't. Is it the AWD? I don't remember hearing it in the RWD models. Or was this just a bad car?

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
I drove an awd cts and did not hear any differential whine..

The car was quiet so I'd have to suggest that it was the particular vehicle you test drove..

A lot of these first into the lot vehicles get beat to sh!t by test drivers.

In the corvettes there is a fluid they put in the differentials so probably the car you drove needed that?

I'm just guessing as I didn't drive a CTS that had a differential whine as you described.

If your interested in the CTS to be the daily driver for your vette or for your better half?

I'd say buy with confidence. The new CTS is an exciting vehicle.

Try another at a dealership near you if you can.

Good luck

JB

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI
63 Posts
I totally disagree with the comment that early production models get beat to crap by test drivers. I went to the Lansing factory and spent a couple days around there, and touring it, the first two weeks of production... when mine was being built. Every few CTS's were taken from the plant across the street to a large open parking lot. They has set up a course that checked for engine noise, vibration, interior rattles, etc... There was NO heavy acceleration, rough road surfaces or anything like that. I was really impressed with how obsessed everyone was with getting each and every car perfect before they went out the door. The plant manager was actually standing at the end of the production line personally inspecting each car. There is no way they would "beat the hell" out of a retail car. They do that during testing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I did not mean GM employees but rather the potiential for insane customers who get a kick out of beating the hell out of a new car for the fun of it.

I'm not saying everyone but I am saying its a possibility someone went out in the vehicle in question and might have done something that resembles an abuse of a new vehicle.

I was at a showroom where the one CTS did not sit still for more than a few minutes before a new test" drive took place..

Just as a matter of statistics I tend to think if this gentleman heard some type of noise the car could have been beat on.

Just an fyi my wife and I were looking at Mercedes at the same time and it was a new car.. You should have heard the thumping it had while it went down the road..

It was clearly a sign the Mercedes was abused.

Thats all I'm suggesting if there was a some sort of drivetrain whine..

Not all people are respectful of the opportunity to test drive a new car.

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I agree with both your statements I also think it's important to know what the car can do. I do push the car harder when testing than most people although I'm not killing it. I also never buy off a lot. I order mine so that no one else drives it. I like to break it in nice before I do that to my car. I know it's sort of a double standard although I think most people that buy off the lot aren't true entusiasts like I am.

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
C6Vette, there's no double standard in your way of thinking. People who buy off the lot should expect that the car could have been test-driven, and it's up to them to decide then. It's really their own rational choice between waiting for a special order or just picking from stock with the knowledge it could've been demoed. Although in my country you can't test drive just any car on the dealer's lot. One factor is that many inexpensive popular imports are in such a high demand that dealers just don't have any cars in stock except demo samples that they just won't sell since they got to have something on display. Another is that usually dealers will dedicate a number of cars exclusively for test driving and won't let you drive any other car in stock. If you buy a driven car, you might get a discount similar to other markets where you get a discount on demo samples. I think this is fair, but it creates severe limitations on the test driving since dealers typically stock just a single power train for a given model to test drive - if any, indeed. I for one prefer special ordering to make sure the car is new, but more importantly to make sure I get those options that I personally like and need whilst not over paying for some expensive little bits that some marketing type thought would be cool to stuff into the car.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm suggesting that there could be a case where by the "road testers" go over board..

If you drive the car hard thats one thing..(although under 500 miles it should be driven as stated in the owners manual) but ABUSE can occur ..and cause other issues to crop up especially when the cars are brand spanking new without a proper breakin.

Its happened with the mercedes C350 and my wife was the entire test drive going..What is that noise.. what is that noise.. (sounded like a bad bearing) She thought that all mercedes C350's made that noise.. until she drove a week later at another mercedes dealer..

My wife was hung up on that three pointed star UNTIL she drove the new CTS. It was so quiet...so nice...she was hooked. I couldn't even drive into a mercedes dealer after she drove the CTS..

The point being is the mercedes had been even as a brand new car been abused and a bearing or something was terribly audiable when driving..

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
I was told the car must have 50 miles put on it before a customer can take ownership of the car.
:xbs:Who told you that? If it was a salesperson at a dealership, find yourself another dealership - or at a minimum another salesperson.

·
Registered
Cadillac
45 Posts
I was told this from the cadillac sales manager--it was just released in a bulletin to cadillac dealerships on the cts, and he didn't care if it was me putting on the 50 miles either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts