Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 80 did have fair working opera lamps, but have failed. These are the pilliar lamps that are 110V florecent type lamps used from 80-89 on the Brougham. I have exhausted my recources to finding new or NOS parts for these as I would like to change the balast and the lamps as I cannot tell what failed. The balast passses the basic tests, but does not excite the lamps, so I am not sure what the exact problem is and just think that the age has got to them... THey worked but were pretty dim... Now they dont work.. The 90-92 used these Electro-Luminecent lamps, but are different... So much for that....

Anyone know where to find these, fix these or have any info on these I sure would appreciate it. Any salvage yard go'ers that want to make some money, I would be glad to pay you for a pair of good working lamps with a ballast.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I decided to make it easier on myself and am planning on using opera lights you find on the newer limos. Yeah they are a little bit bigger but not everyone will know the difference.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I found that website before too. I know someone who fixed them on another car by putting a bunch of LEDs in there. He never sent me a picture so I don't know what it looks like.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about putting a light behind them, LED's might be a good idea too if they can achieve a somewhat stock look. I sure would like to get these to actually work. Its too bad those things are so tempermental and short lived. They had a "way ahead" of their time look when they work.. Kind of like a real HID lamp. The yellow looking bulb opera lamps on other cars are just not the same.

brougham said:
I found that website before too. I know someone who fixed them on another car by putting a bunch of LEDs in there. He never sent me a picture so I don't know what it looks like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mad'lac said:
I decided to make it easier on myself and am planning on using opera lights you find on the newer limos. Yeah they are a little bit bigger but not everyone will know the difference.
:worship: please let me know where to get the limo lights i had the same idea but after many searches i cant find any kind of limo lights any info would be alot of help

·
Registered
52 Posts
The problem with these opera lights is that they have no bulb or anything that resembles a bulb. Inside the plastic covering is actually a sheet of lucite paper that is electrically charged and glows when the current passes through it. Now it provides a really neat glow, but eventually this whole thing burns out and as far as I know, this sheet cannot be replaced. So all opera lights like this eventually meet their maker. There are two, and they run off their own inverter. If the inverter is not bad, it is just normal burn-out. The thing gets darker and darker until it glows no more.

The good news: If you look around enough, you can find a car that was wrecked early on in its lifetime. Take the opportunity to get its opera lights if you can. You can also go bulb if you are good with electrical stuff, but it will not look as good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
cadillacjack01