Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant believe the hype they brought behind this and none of the cool features are available. still no mms, no internet teather.. meh is all i can say

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I'm not going to bother. I have an aftermarket tethering application with Jailbreak and I am not going to risk losing it over some less than stellar features. PASS.

The iPhone 3G"S" by the way is a joke. Still no Camera Flash, or web Flash. The only good thing about it is just more storage space for the same amount of money.

I'll probably upgrade the hardware when they finally increase the pixel density to the level my old Treo 755P or Nokia 770 Internet Tablet had (absolutely GORGEOUS screens).

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
What are you talking about? MMS and internet tether are included in this update... along with other much needed things, such as cut/copy/paste.

Anyway... I'm currently downloading right now. I should have done so at work - would have been done in about 5 minutes. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it... even though I won't be able to take advantage of the MMS since I'm still on the original iPhone, but I really couldn't care less about that... I barely send texts as it is, let alone pictures and videos.

Either way... I'm just happy Apple has graced us original adoptees with the update.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
internet tether are included
What are the details of the tethering, is it monitored for data use, speed limited or anything like that?

I don't use PDANet very much, but the nice thing is that with the amount of data the iphone sucks in and spits out every day just with normal use, PDANet flies COMPLETELY under the radar.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
I'm not going to bother. I have an aftermarket tethering application with Jailbreak and I am not going to risk losing it over some less than stellar features. PASS.

The iPhone 3G"S" by the way is a joke. Still no Camera Flash, or web Flash. The only good thing about it is just more storage space for the same amount of money.

I'll probably upgrade the hardware when they finally increase the pixel density to the level my old Treo 755P or Nokia 770 Internet Tablet had (absolutely GORGEOUS screens).
Ian,

So there's no web Flash. Can you tell me if any of the other smartphones on the market support Flash?

And I'll take the autofocus/better low light performance over a camera flash.
Oh, and 3 Megapixels is enough - I think that stuffing 8MP into a phone with a lens set the size of a small dot is just a joke. If you don't know why, do a search on "Megapixel myth".

BTW, if you think the only advantage the "S" model offers over the 3G is more storage space, go read up some. 2x CPU performance (which is probably conservative. 50% faster clock + 2x instructions issued per clock + L2 cache = at least 2x, 3x on some instruction sets), 7x GPU performance, better battery life, the abovementioned camera, and other bits, the "S" model is a nice evolution to the iPhone line. Note that the "S" shares the same CPU/GPU as the Palm Pre.

As for no tethering or MMS, blame AT&T (the iPhone supports those now in other markets with other carriers).

I'm planning on getting a 3G S in the next 60 days or so.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Ian,

So there's no web Flash. Can you tell me if any of the other smartphones on the market support Flash?

And I'll take the autofocus/better low light performance over a camera flash.
Oh, and 3 Megapixels is enough - I think that stuffing 8MP into a phone with a lens set the size of a small dot is just a joke. If you don't know why, do a search on "Megapixel myth".

BTW, if you think the only advantage the "S" model offers over the 3G is more storage space, go read up some. 2x CPU performance (which is probably conservative. 50% faster clock + 2x instructions issued per clock + L2 cache = at least 2x, 3x on some instruction sets), 7x GPU performance, better battery life, the abovementioned camera, and other bits, the "S" model is a nice evolution to the iPhone line. Note that the "S" shares the same CPU/GPU as the Palm Pre.

As for no tethering or MMS, blame AT&T (the iPhone supports those now in other markets with other carriers).

I'm planning on getting a 3G S in the next 60 days or so.
Web Flash is a BIG deal and "they don't do it so we don't have to" has NEVER been the way Apple operates. Right now the iphone has the BEST mobile web browser on the market HANDS DOWN crippled ONLY because of the lack of Flash compatibility. I have used every other smartphone browser on the market and none of them hold a candle to Safari in the iphone.

You'll take autofocus/lowlight performance over a flash? In your world settling might be OKAY, but in my world I know technology can do BOTH at a relatively low cost. Why bother settling? There have been MORE TIMES than I can COUNT where the "low light performance" of the iphone (which DOES have a GREAT camera) has not been sufficient for pictures even in average lit rooms. A small xenon flash would be JUST the fill i would have needed for a quick shot.

And if there's anything I DON'T care about, it's MORE CPU speed in the iphone. I still don't have Flash video right? So speed is the LAST thing on my mind iphone-wise. It is already PLENTY fast as it is and the "S" for speed is nothing but a marketing gimmick meant to maintain a hold on the market and divert attention away from the Pre until the next REAL -meat and potatoes- iPhone hardware arrives. Sure the numbers may be there in spades, but it's a phone, not a PC.

If you own a current 3G iphone and you got sucked in by the "S" hype than you are a sucker plain and simple. If you DON'T have a 3G already, then by ALL means buy a 3G"S". It's a great deal for new contracts and I wouldn't pass it up over the 100.00 difference between the old 3G and the 3G"S", but I'm also not gonna be an Apple Sheeple and go blow 400.00 on one just to have the latest and greatest in a current contract.

You somehow misunderstood my post as knocking the iphone, which is completely incorrect. My point is that as far as I'm concerned the 3G as I have it with PDANet is already more than sufficient for my needs. Why am I going to blow what I've got going just because I want the latest-greatest firmware, or worse, the latest Apple toy.

I can tether just fine with PDANet by the way, so whatever AT&T is or isn't doing is of little concern to me. Until someone jailbreaks 3.0, or if Adam confirms it does Tethering now on ATTs network, I'm not going to give up the freedom I have with my jailbroken (and stable) 2xx firmware.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
I'm perfectly content with my Blackberry and my rather portable laptop. My browser does everything I need for me, and when I need to spend more time on the net I pull out the lapto.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I'm perfectly content with my Blackberry and my rather portable laptop. My browser does everything I need for me, and when I need to spend more time on the net I pull out the lapto.
Credit where credit is due, the Blackberry platform is probably the biggest threat to the iPhone right now. Why? Because RIM spreads the basic architecture amongst a VAST array of models on multiple carriers. The Storm however is an absolute laughing stock. The Blackberry thrives with its keyboard based architecture... WHY RIM felt they HAD to make a touch based device is beyond me. :rolleyes:

That being said, like yourself I used to be content to bring a laptop with me when I needed more power than my smartphone could handle on the web.

The beauty of the iPhone however, and where it REALLY shines (enough for me to forgive its many other shortcomings here and there), is in the flawless integration of the Safari browser and the smooth easy to use interface it has in browser mode. There is almost NO page (except for something that uses alot of Flash) that I can NOT view comfortably on my iPhone. It really is the FIRST smartphone I've ever owned that has a STRONG and capable web browser I can ALWAYS count on to work, EVEN with Secure Socket Layer based websites such as Banking etc. Back in the day I used to have to wait til I was near an internet enabled PC somewhere to do price checks on items when I was out and about shopping or comparing prices... Now I can whip out the iphone and check ebay, amazon and other sites QUICKLY and accurately AND comfortably. Comfortable is key... other phone browsers have always made me feel cramped and boxed in.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
iPhone - Its like jumping into a time machine set for 2005. What a joke.
Excuse me Gulati, but I believe your Blackberry came out first....

I'm downloading 3.0 now.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I'm downloading 3.0 now for my first generation iPhone. I'm picking up my 3GS Friday morning.
You should definitely post up a quick review when you've used it for a bit. I think upgrading iPhone Gen 1 to a 3GS makes perfect sense, as it gets you broadband, the space increase and all accumulated updates in one fell swoop. It's 3G to 3GS in-contract that's of little value as far as I'm concerned.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
You should definitely post up a quick review when you've used it for a bit. I think upgrading iPhone Gen 1 to a 3GS makes perfect sense, as it gets you broadband, the space increase and all accumulated updates in one fell swoop. It's 3G to 3GS in-contract that's of little value as far as I'm concerned.
I'll post reviews... No problem. And I agree with you on 3G and 3GS. I didn't even upgrade to 3G (which is very unlike me) because I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade. Though the speaker volume was certainly an incentive... At any rate - I think a 3G with the 3.0 operating system is just fine. If I had a 3G, I would NOT upgrade until next year when whatever comes next is out...

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I don't have an iPhone but have considered getting one. My gripes with phone is the lack of video recording, multimedia messaging, and the unusually low volume from the speaker for ringtones and music. If all of that is corrected I may spend the money to get one.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
Web Flash is a BIG deal and "they don't do it so we don't have to" has NEVER been the way Apple operates. Right now the iphone has the BEST mobile web browser on the market HANDS DOWN crippled ONLY because of the lack of Flash compatibility. I have used every other smartphone browser on the market and none of them hold a candle to Safari in the iphone.

You'll take autofocus/lowlight performance over a flash? In your world settling might be OKAY, but in my world I know technology can do BOTH at a relatively low cost. Why bother settling? There have been MORE TIMES than I can COUNT where the "low light performance" of the iphone (which DOES have a GREAT camera) has not been sufficient for pictures even in average lit rooms. A small xenon flash would be JUST the fill i would have needed for a quick shot.

And if there's anything I DON'T care about, it's MORE CPU speed in the iphone. I still don't have Flash video right? So speed is the LAST thing on my mind iphone-wise. It is already PLENTY fast as it is and the "S" for speed is nothing but a marketing gimmick meant to maintain a hold on the market and divert attention away from the Pre until the next REAL -meat and potatoes- iPhone hardware arrives. Sure the numbers may be there in spades, but it's a phone, not a PC.

If you own a current 3G iphone and you got sucked in by the "S" hype than you are a sucker plain and simple. If you DON'T have a 3G already, then by ALL means buy a 3G"S". It's a great deal for new contracts and I wouldn't pass it up over the 100.00 difference between the old 3G and the 3G"S", but I'm also not gonna be an Apple Sheeple and go blow 400.00 on one just to have the latest and greatest in a current contract.

You somehow misunderstood my post as knocking the iphone, which is completely incorrect. My point is that as far as I'm concerned the 3G as I have it with PDANet is already more than sufficient for my needs. Why am I going to blow what I've got going just because I want the latest-greatest firmware, or worse, the latest Apple toy.

I can tether just fine with PDANet by the way, so whatever AT&T is or isn't doing is of little concern to me. Until someone jailbreaks 3.0, or if Adam confirms it does Tethering now on ATTs network, I'm not going to give up the freedom I have with my jailbroken (and stable) 2xx firmware.
Ian,

I don't have an iPhone at all, so an "S" it is for me. BTW, did you see that AT&T is now being more flexible with the 3G to "S" upgrade timeframe?

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=13745

A camera flash would be nice to have, Apple should have found a way to add it. The autofocus is nice, and supports macro mode as well.

As for Flash support, what I've heard (from a friend who knows a developer at Apple) is that as currently written, Flash is so bloated and badly written (Adobe just keeps tacking on functionality without doing a clean rewrite for speed, size, and stability) that it would just be too big a drain on battery life.

It will be nice to see how soon the 3.0 OS can be jailbroken and tethering support enabled, better yet would be for AT&T to step up and officially support it.

The faster CPU+GPU (also has 2x the amount of RAM) could well see developers writing apps that take full advantage of this, and run in a lesser mode on the older hardware.

One other "S" feature: Support for the next round of AT&T wireless network upgrades, which would increase the speed to a theoritical 7.2Mbps.

BTW, if you are eligible for the upgrade, have you seen how much $ a jailbroken 3G iPhone draws on eBay and such? You might well be able to sell your old one for more than the upgrade cost.

Edwin

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
I don't like Flash so I don't care about it. As long as there's Javascript capability and I can login to secure sites, I'm happy.

As for the 3.0 operating system running on my first generation iPhone - I don't see a whole lot of change other than the ability to tilt the phone sideways for a horizontal view/keypad while texting or emailing. It's an improvement but no big deal. I don't seem to get the video capability on this first generation phone... I'll have the new 3GS tomorrow morning...

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Excuse me Gulati, but I believe your Blackberry came out first....

I'm downloading 3.0 now.
You missed the joke.

The iPhone years ago lacked basic features included on my $75 Samsung phone such as:
MMS
EVDO/3G
Tethering
Video recording

The morons who waited in line and paid $600 for that piece of crap when it came out are... well... morons.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts