Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After moving to the East Coast I became interested in the wide variety of writing instruments available, fountain pens, ballpoints and rollerball. I began collecting and then as a retirement entertainment went to work at a local pen store. Just as with watches there are many levels of pens from utilitarian, inexpensive ballpoints costing less than a dollar to highly refined and beautifully made writing instruments costing well into the five figures.

Given the broad range of interests, aside from Cadillac cars, represented here on the Forums, I was wondering if anyone else had an interest or collected pens?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Dad used to - one of my artsy sisters has them all. From quills to old Parker, Esterbrook and Sheaffer. Whole damn drawer full.

I use a Mont Blanc rollerball pen. The MB refills are the pits, so I get replacements from the Monteverde line at ColoradoPen.com.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I really liked fountain pens when I was younger. My grandmother bought me a Waterman with a case when I was maybe 13 or so. Never actually got into collecting them though.

A friends, girlfriends uncle makes his own. Out of bone, antler, wood, bullets...

I barely ever write anything, and my handwriting could be duplicated by a drunk, one eyed chicken. Maybe that's why I don't bother buying any more now :yup: .

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sub, the largest pen show in the world takes place in August in Tyson's Corner, VA. Collectors and sellers from literally all over the world converge on D.C. for the show.

I agree that the Montblanc rollerball refills are trash, good that you found a viable substitute. Montblanc's have a very nice classic design, but the 'precious resin" that there most popular line is made from is very brittle and likely to shatter (the ballpoints and FP's are made from the same vulnerable stuff.

I am very familiar with the Colorado Pen Co.. They are one of the more successful pen retailers in the U.S.

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
I can't count the number of times I rode (40s, 50s) through Tyson's Corner (a crossroads !) on the way to one of Dad's company dairy farms near Centerville, The Plains and Haymarket. Boy Scout campouts, .22 rifle shooting, Christmas tree cutting, whatever. McLean, Vienna, Tyson's Corner were tiny little whistle stops on the way to Warrenton and/or Luray Caverns. Those farms were where I learned to drive John Deeres and Jeeps when I was 10 ...........

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was living in Great Falls when the last farm in Fairfax County shut down. It was in 1998 or 1999. Even at that time the there was still plenty of open land along side Route 7 on the was to Leesburg in Loudon County. It didn't take long for Loudon County, VA as the fastest growing county in the U.S. to convert all that land to developments. Further out, those towns and counties are also being developed, but still remain one of the centers of fox hunting in the U.S. Each Spring there is a super tour of the estate farms' stables and horse facilities out around Middleburg and vicinity. Beautiful horse and cattle country. Unfortunately it won't be long before the Mac Mansion developments buy up the property further out too.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
I occasionally buy a decent pen to use at the office. It's nice having a good pen. They keep disappearing. I don't buy pens anymore. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I don't buy pen. But somehow pens magically appear in my pockets or on my desk ... :p
LoL. Are you like George on Seinfeld who never bought an umbrella because there are all those "free" ones to take by the restaurant door?

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Thank God NO, it would be another thing I have way too much of around here!:suspense:

Actually, I have a lot of pens and pencils my dad had for years.
He was an auditor for Wisconsin Dept. of Revenue from 1960-1970 and called on anyone who bought fuel bulk.
He would get them from gas stations and trucking companies.
They were advertising giveaways, so not high quality, but imprinted with old company names. I have not gone through them and do not know if they are of any value, but I suspect as with everything, someone out there collects them.

Other than that in Jr High and High School I used fountain pens a lot.
I am old, but not old enough that that was the norm. Just enjoyed the feel, and fine quality they gave my penmanship.
(When I still had penmanship!)

I still to this day dislike cheap pens and generally avoid them when I can.
At work I carry the half metal/half plastic Parker Pens. Still cheap in the world of pen collector, but not bargain basement and still not a tragedy if a customer walks off with them.
I used to carry the all metal ones, (About $5.00 more.) but got sick of losing them.

I also have many sets of Cross mostly Cadillac pen sets.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, there are many collectors of "advertising" pens like the ones your dad accumulated. Might be worth listing on EBAY.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
LoL. Are like George on Seinfeld who never bought an umbrella because there are all those "free" ones to take by the restaurant door?
My hotel provides these really nice custom umbrellas for our guests if it's raining, and to date I've never had one disappear. Thank god. :lol:

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
LoL. Are you like George on Seinfeld who never bought an umbrella because there are all those "free" ones to take by the restaurant door?
You say it like there is something wrong with taking those free umbrellas?! :suspense:

----------

At work I carry the half metal/half plastic Parker Pens. Still cheap in the world of pen collector, but not bargain basement and still not a tragedy if a customer walks off with them.
I used to carry the all metal ones, (About $5.00 more.) but got sick of losing them.
As we talked before, at some point I will come to Wisconsin to meet you Dave.... So hide those pens during my visit or else there might be some half metal/half plastic Parker Pens appearing in my pockets.... :hide::duck:

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I don't buy pens. But somehow pens magically appear in my pockets or on my desk ... :p
Likewise. I can't remember the last time I ever bought one.
I get some woodcraft catalogs that sell kits for building them from various exotic wood. I just know I'd lose them though.

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
Nice - put on your striped button-down collar shirt, an old school tie and the pens/protector in the pocket and you immediately qualify for "Head Geek".

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Nice - put on your striped button-down collar shirt, an old school tie and the pens/protector in the pocket and you immediately qualify for "Head Geek".
I think the term 'pocket protector' has lost all meaning these days. It preceded fanny pack and man purse.
Real geeks wore them and slide rules :)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Thirty years ago I got tired of looking around for a pen so I bought a gold Cross Classic. For that kind of money I never let it out of my sight and I still have it. After having it overhauled a couple of times I finally leaned over a counter and kinked it in the middle. This time Cross said next repairs are on me. It should last me until I expire.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank God NO, it would be another thing I have way too much of around here!:suspense:

Actually, I have a lot of pens and pencils my dad had for years.
He was an auditor for Wisconsin Dept. of Revenue from 1960-1970 and called on anyone who bought fuel bulk.
He would get them from gas stations and trucking companies.
They were advertising giveaways, so not high quality, but imprinted with old company names. I have not gone through them and do not know if they are of any value, but I suspect as with everything, someone out there collects them.

Other than that in Jr High and High School I used fountain pens a lot.
I am old, but not old enough that that was the norm. Just enjoyed the feel, and fine quality they gave my penmanship.
(When I still had penmanship!)

I also have many sets of Cross mostly Cadillac pen sets.
When my stepfather passed away back in the early nineties, I too, found a drawer full of pens that accumulated over the years. I put them away and didn't have any real interest till I started collecting pens in the late '90's. At that point I got them out and started research what was actually in the lot. There were all kinds of advertising pens and inexpensive fountain pens and some moderately priced fountain pens. I later sold off, I don't really collect old pens, most of them for a total of more then $500.00.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Well, someday I will have to look through them.
Right now I am getting rid of things in order of size.
The pens are too small, and easily stored to deal with now.:lol:

Had a Realtor in two days ago and have lots to get rid of before listing it.:nono:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts