Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do points cross the border? I have been told yes, and I have been told no.

I was stupid and got nailed over the weekend by friggin Milwaukee County. That is twice now in 10 months they have gotten me. Incidentally, these are my only two tickets in the last 8 years.

So an estimated 6 points on this one, and 3 on the one from July 06. 12 is the max per 12 months. I just dont know if they apply in Illinois.

And how did I get caught? By laser, had to be. He was at the very least, a 1/4 mile up the expressway when I saw him and slowed down. Maybe closer to 1/2 mile. And there were other cars between me and him.

I know if you cant do the time, you shouldnt do the crime, and I agree with that. The one in July was my fault 100%, and I even pleaded guilty as soon as the cop came to my window. But this one just irritates me. I find it very convenient of the 4 cars who were going over 80, he picks the only one with IL tags. Can't a guy make up some time when he's running late anymore?! And I know the cop was racking up the tickets that day. I was on my way inside of 10 minutes. The runner up to that was 45 minutes.

So if anyone knows for sure one way or the other, please let me know.

Ok. [/RANT] :rant2:

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
I just asked this question to the local LEOs here in Dallas because of Whistler's ticket in AZ. They said that the info did cross / apply here in TX now. May vary by state.

·
Premium Member
2019 RAM Rebel & 1995 Jeep Wrangler (fully built)
12,114 Posts
From state to state? In my experience, ALWAYS.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,185 Posts
I got stopped for 97 in a 65 zone a month ago in my AWD STS. The trooper said "That thing goes like a son of a bitch", and sent me on my way. Maybe you look like a member of the criminal element or something.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
NY doesn't transfer points from out of state tickets. I love NY...

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
It depends on the state. Some states report the offense to your home states bureau, and some do not. As long as you pay the fine promptly. Unless the law has changed in NJ, an out of state violation, is only worth two points. Even if it was a six pointer. I had a ticket in New York back in '92. NY never notified NJ, so I didn't get points. Good luck to you

Don

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Illinois has always ignored out of state infractions. But that may have changed. They just instituted the point system in June 2006. We never had points before that. It was a simple 3 moving violations in 12 months equals suspended license. And even that was not enforced. When I was a kid I was driving on two probations when I got my third. They did not take my license. They would rather keep taking my money.

I dont think I look like the criminal element. I have been pulled over three times in the last few years and got off with warnings-in Illinois. Wisconson cops do not let Illinois drivers go, no matter what.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got stopped for 97 in a 65 zone a month ago in my AWD STS. The trooper said "That thing goes like a son of a bitch", and sent me on my way. Maybe you look like a member of the criminal element or something.
He just didnt feel like taking your car. >25 is reckless driving. That happened to buddy once when I was with him.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Illinois has always ignored out of state infractions. But that may have changed. They just instituted the point system in June 2006. We never had points before that. It was a simple 3 moving violations in 12 months equals suspended license. And even that was not enforced. When I was a kid I was driving on two probations when I got my third. They did not take my license. They would rather keep taking my money.
I've known of the 3 moving violations= suspended license since my dad was one of those guys growing up.

I'm looking at WikiAnswers trying to see if theres anything about out of state tickets....

In general most US states belong to the Nonresident Violator Compact of 1977. This means that speeding tickets received out of your home state will be reported back to your home state and included on your record for drivers license and insurance points.

However there are certain states that do not put out of state traffic tickets on your record and others that will only enter speeding tickets that are over a certain mph above the speed limit.

Kansas, Wyoming, Minnesota, Arizona, Iowa, and South Dakota will not put a speeding ticket on record unless it is 10 or more mph over the limit. Georgia will not enter speeding tickets unless they are more than 14 mph over the limit. New York and Colorado will not enter out of state speeding tickets at all unless they are serious violations like reckless. Michigan also has special rules about out of state tickets.

If you are not a resident of Illinois, don't think you can get away with going back to your home state and not dealing with your ticket. The same goes for Illinois residents who got a ticket while in another state.

Most states now share information about traffic tickets. You will probably still have to pay any out-of-state tickets to avoid points or other sanctions showing up on your driving record.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not ignoring the ticket. I am going to pay it, all $261 of it. But I am mailing it in. I am not going back there to go to court (and risk another ticket on the way) just to have them find me guilty anyway.

Actually my biggest concern is my insurance company finding out. Illinois never reported out of state violations. But since we now have the point system, I have a feeling that may have changed.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
You might look into traffic school, some states will knock off points for those who take it. It might be worth the cost if you are concerned about increased insurance rates or being dropped altogether.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
The other advise for those tired of getting tickets for speeding is;
Allow more time and SLOW DOWN to within 5 mph of the posted limit! :)

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other advise for those tired of getting tickets for speeding is;
Allow more time and SLOW DOWN to within 5 mph of the posted limit! :)
yeah yeah... traffic school is not one of the options they gave me.

·
Premium Member
29,185 Posts
I took the California Highway Patrol defensive driver course forty five years ago and what I learned has literally save my life more times than I can count. Back then it was in preparation for driving emergency vehicles but the lessons learned have served me well. It would do anyone well to take such a course whether fighting off ticket points or whatever. For example, one lesson learned is to never turn the wheels to the left while waiting for a left hand turn until the oncoming traffic clears. If you turn the wheels before hand and an idiot hits you from behind you'll be sent right into the oncoming cars. Exactly this happened to me and I survived to tell the guy who hit me that he was a F*****g idiot while he lay there in his gore. If the opportunity apperars to take a defensive driving course for any reason it'll be worth your while.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I almost had it set for the wife and I to go to one of the performance driving schools in Ohio (Bondurant I think?) She was nearly as excited about it as me. Then we found out she was pregnant. Ended that trip.

·
Premium Member
29,185 Posts
Jim Russell driving schools has a very excellent setup. He's been in the business longer than Bondurant.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
A friend of mine got nailed for 125+ in Joliet, in a 55.... and has a 2 year probation on him now for it. Female cop, female judge.... No mercy....

All up to the states if they take it. I had heard MO didn't, but they might now. I haven't lived in STL in 18 years.

Hope you figure out something, let us know if you do!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts