Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone upgraded their Onstar system and if so is it worth it? What kind of changes should one expect from this change? Gains/losses?

I need some input before I decided to change mines out or not.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
I think the main thing is that after Jan 2008 you won't be able to use the old system at all. If you plan to keep using OnStar, you need the upgrade.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Mine is being upgrade right now. It should be done this afternoon. If you use On-Star, and you haven't upgraded your analog system to digital, it won't work in six months. It has nothing to do with On-Star, but rather that the FCC is reclaiming the frequencies used for analog cell phones, which some GM On-Star boxes still use. All current cell phones are digital right now for that reason. Old analog ones won't work soon, either.

The upgrade is only $15, and a year subscription. The dealer will have to look at your box, and order the proper replacement, before he can install it.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
17 Posts
I did the upgrade 2 months ago. I've noticed that the overall clarity of phone calls is slightly improved. The biggest change you will notice is the new interface. With the new system, when you digit dial, you can say the entire number at once, instead of digit by digit.

Also, when accessing services via phone that require you to "press a number", you now have that ability, via voice prompts.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the service. My cell phone service provider is Verizon, so I was able to convert my plan to the America's Choice Family Plan and have my OnStar number added to my Verizon account. This way I can share minutes between my cell phone and OnStar. Cheaper than buying minutes from OnStar.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
I did the upgrade on both cars a while ago. I don't use it much so I didn't notice a difference. Except when I dial the number, I can say the whole phone number at once instead of having to say each digit one at a time.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
Also, your OnStar phone number will change.

Just FYI, if anyone has a wireless house or business alarm backup (in case the phone lines are cut), you will need to get that changed to digital too.

:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts