Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not shopping for a firearm quite yet. i just want my target practice back up to date. this being the feeling for the gun, etc. and i am in the market for a simple pistol. I fear the least for home protection. i have my own hand held security measures next to the door and adjacent to my bed as is. but i wont be buying a 22 by a Long shot due to the size of my hands. most likely a larger, heavier pistol. its not an impulsive purchase like that of a candy bar at a conveince store. no paperwork or licencing is required at the facility im headed to. you pick out a weapon, set up in the targeting range and squeeze off a few rounds. then check the arm on the way out. all im looking for is the right balance, weight recoil factor, etc. its like finding the right pair of jeans (if your a picky shopper). do you guys have any recommendations for a side arm?
im gone.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
If you're looking for something just for target practice/plinking, you can't really go wrong with the Ruger MKII. It IS a .22 but it shoots really well and does it without breaking the bank.
As with any gun purchase, what works well for me, may not work well for you. The MKII that I shot wasn't the most comfortable gun in my hand but I kept a really tight pattern with it.
It would be best to go out and rent a bunch of guns at your local range....see which one works best for you.
My next purchase will be a Baby Desert Eagle (Magnum Research) .40. Fits my hand like it was custom made.
 

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
I'm also considering another pistol next year, mainly for target use. I want a fullsize 9mm and will probably get a Beretta Elite II because I like the way it feels.

Since pistols are on the restricted list in Canada, are there problems with puchasing and transporting a pistol to ranges?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
The Ruger 22 pistol with a bull barrel is a good choice for something small. I like a .45, Kimber makes a nice one and you can get many different grips to accomodate your hands. It's a fairly big frame though and the recoil may be more than you want.

As others noted, some of the smaller Beretta 9 mm are a nice mix of smaller size without too much recoil. More weight = less recoil but also harder to maneuver. You could always go for the 'JaAmes Bond' type Walther PPK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Because of my large hands.....I prefer the Desert Eagle I have two, The early model with all three calibers ( .357 mag. .41 mag. and .44 mag ) I also have the .50 cal. version of the same gun. ( Love it! ) I also have a Colt King Cobra .357 mag. It fits my hand quite well too. I shoot at least three times a week, I have a concealed carry permit and I always carry. For concealed carry I prefer a short barreled .357 S&W that hides away and doesn't weigh all that much. Other than the Desert Eagle I'm not a big fan of auto loaders.....45's are OK but .9's SUCK! ( Limited stopping power ) That's my opinion.
 

·
Registered
A boat
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Unfortunately my experience with handguns are a bit limited, but the one time I shot was with my friends H&K USP (.45 ACP), not the best gun for a beginning shooter like me, but it felt nice and solid.
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
c5 rv said:
I'm also considering another pistol next year, mainly for target use. I want a fullsize 9mm and will probably get a Beretta Elite II because I like the way it feels.

Since pistols are on the restricted list in Canada, are there problems with puchasing and transporting a pistol to ranges?
There is a long and complicated story to what the regulations are in Canada! By "restricted" it does not mean one cannot have one, but it depends on if you had a less than 4 inch barrel length before, etc. If you did not, then you must purchase over 4 inches and blah, blah, blah, etc. Get my drift! There are two classifications for handguns: restricted and prohibited. Both can be had depending on what you had before the tough laws came into being, etc.
 

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Ralph said:
There is a long and complicated story to what the regulations are in Canada! By "restricted" it does not mean one cannot have one, but it depends on if you had a less than 4 inch barrel length before, etc. If you did not, then you must purchase over 4 inches and blah, blah, blah, etc. Get my drift! There are two classifications for handguns: restricted and prohibited. Both can be had depending on what you had before the tough laws came into being, etc.
Until recently, here in Michigan you could get a purchase permit and buy a pistol, but the only places you could transport it if you didn't have a concealed carry permit were:

- Take it home after purchase
- Take it to a gunsmith for repair
- Take it to a shooting club where you were a member.

Of course, getting a CCW permit was almost impossible in many counties of the state. Officially, you couldn't legally transport the gun to the Sheriff's office for the required registration, er, "safety inspection" after purchase.

Thankfully, saner heads prevailed and you can now legally transport a pistol like other guns (unloaded, separated from ammo, and outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle or locked & separated from the driver) and the CCW process is reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
c5 rv said:
Thankfully, saner heads prevailed and you can now legally transport a pistol like other guns (unloaded, separated from ammo, and outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle or locked & separated from the driver) and the CCW process is reasonable.

It's still insane though...In Nevada you can carry a LOADED gun unconcealed in your car within your reach. You can also carry a LOADED gun unconcealed on your person without a permit....As it should be.



Question: What is an unloaded gun used for?

Answer: A hammer!
 

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
kc's point about knock-down power is very valid. Chances are, you're only going to need a gun for self-defense against some drugged-out intruder or carjacker.

It's highly unlikely that you will be confronted by a sober assailant. You need something that can knock somebody off of their feet, even if you just hit them in the shoulder--otherwise, you'll probably just be pissing somebody off and put yourself in further danger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
kcnewell said:
It's still insane though...In Nevada you can carry a LOADED gun unconcealed in your car within your reach. You can also carry a LOADED gun unconcealed on your person without a permit....As it should be.



Question: What is an unloaded gun used for?

Answer: A hammer!
They keep them un loaded so they don't hurt themselves takin off the trigger lock. I dissagree though on the 9mm. The hollow points I have in mine will do just fine in the stopping power department. Also I have never had a problem with jamming , it's a Sig-Sauer P239. The guy at the gun store told me "It's the Cadillac of 9mm's." It was the most expensive one in the store , and it felt as good in my hand as I feel sliding into my ETC. So I believed him and bought it.
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
There are many good 9mm rounds now that are just as effective as a larger calibre, Speer Gold Dot come to mind. The extra velocity of this speedy round make it a great choice for hollowpoints, etc. Still, I'd rather have a .45, but right now my fascination lies with a six in. 686 7 shot. I've always had more interest with autos, but when I had to work with a Smith Model 10 in .38, and never having fired a revolver before, I was a natural with it! We had a guy train us who trains U.S. Navy SEALS on the east coast, and I discovered I could reload just as fast with a speedloader, as with a magazine for my semi-auto. (with lots of training of course)
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
RickTheRuler727 said:
They keep them un loaded so they don't hurt themselves takin off the trigger lock. I dissagree though on the 9mm. The hollow points I have in mine will do just fine in the stopping power department. Also I have never had a problem with jamming , it's a Sig-Sauer P239. The guy at the gun store told me "It's the Cadillac of 9mm's." It was the most expensive one in the store , and it felt as good in my hand as I feel sliding into my ETC. So I believed him and bought it.
The Sig are about the finest quality one can buy! (Swiss) There was some trouble with them though regarding the trigger return spring not being very strong, so when you shoot rapidly, you would have to "wait" for the trigger to spring back. I'm sure they addressed this prob. by now?
 

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
I bought a Walther PPK .380 about 12 years ago. I think it's probably a little below average on knock-down power. I Haven't fired it in about 9 years. I used to carry it in the car, religiously cleaned it and shot it about three times a year. Now it's just up on the shelf in the case collecting dust.

If somebody breaks in on me, they're getting a pump-action .12 gauge. I don't care how messy it might be.
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Elvis said:
I bought a Walther PPK .380 about 12 years ago. I think it's probably a little below average on knock-down power. I Haven't fired it in about 9 years. I used to carry it in the car, religiously cleaned it and shot it about three times a year. Now it's just up on the shelf in the case collecting dust.

If somebody breaks in on me, they're getting a pump-action .12 gauge. I don't care how messy it might be.
I wouldn't neglect the PPK, clean it out once in a while even if you don't shoot it. If rust from moisture sets in, it's done for!

Even a 20 gauge has more power than ANY handgun round! My Mossberg pump is never far from me or my car! I regret selling my Grandpa's brothers Winchester 16 ga. Model 1897! He used it in WW1, and apparently the Germans were so fearful of the Canadians carrying these in battle, they called it "BARBARIC." Back then, farm boys went into battle, and often used their own firearms they knew well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Ralph said:
I wouldn't neglect the PPK, clean it out once in a while even if you don't shoot it. If rust from moisture sets in, it's done for!

Even a 20 gauge has more power than ANY handgun round! My Mossberg pump is never far from me or my car! I regret selling my Grandpa's brothers Winchester 16 ga. Model 1897! He used it in WW1, and apparently the Germans were so fearful of the Canadians carrying these in battle, they called it "BARBARIC." Back then, farm boys went into battle, and often used their own firearms they knew well.
I also have a Mossberg 12 ga. with a pistol grip handle. Looks sick. I bought it when I owned a Pizza Shop. I used to keep it under the counter in case some butthole thuoght I mite want to share my money with him.
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
c5 rv said:
Until recently, here in Michigan you could get a purchase permit and buy a pistol, but the only places you could transport it if you didn't have a concealed carry permit were:

- Take it home after purchase
- Take it to a gunsmith for repair
- Take it to a shooting club where you were a member.

Of course, getting a CCW permit was almost impossible in many counties of the state. Officially, you couldn't legally transport the gun to the Sheriff's office for the required registration, er, "safety inspection" after purchase.

Thankfully, saner heads prevailed and you can now legally transport a pistol like other guns (unloaded, separated from ammo, and outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle or locked & separated from the driver) and the CCW process is reasonable.
That's not too bad, about half as bad between Nevada's laws and Canada's! ;) When you buy a handgun here, you NEED the permit even just to own it! You also need it to transport to the gun range, and back home again. That's it! If you have to take it to a gunsmith, we need to go to the RCMP and get ANOTHER permit just to take it there! Also, the permit only allows you to transport the firearm from home to the range in the shortest route possible. Don't even think about stopping at a store or a friends because if you are caught with it not at eithor of those 2 places, you are going to jail! How's that for a free country!?

Side note, today on the news in Quebec they mentioned, and get this, "the Language Police!!" You heard right! If I speak english in Quebec or have an english "for sale" sign on my house, I will be arrested! How's that for freedom! I don't want to hear anyone whine about the "tough" gun laws in the U.S. try living here!
 

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
Ralph said:
That's not too bad, about half as bad between Nevada's laws and Canada's! ;) When you buy a handgun here, you NEED the permit even just to own it! You also need it to transport to the gun range, and back home again. That's it! If you have to take it to a gunsmith, we need to go to the RCMP and get ANOTHER permit just to take it there! Also, the permit only allows you to transport the firearm from home to the range in the shortest route possible. Don't even think about stopping at a store or a friends because if you are caught with it not at eithor of those 2 places, you are going to jail! How's that for a free country!?

Side note, today on the news in Quebec they mentioned, and get this, "the Language Police!!" You heard right! If I speak english in Quebec or have an english "for sale" sign on my house, I will be arrested! How's that for freedom! I don't want to hear anyone whine about the "tough" gun laws in the U.S. try living here!
What's worse is that chances are the people who are going to cause trouble with guns aren't going to bother with permits and all that anyway!
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top