Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Coupe Deville
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crankshaft having to much end play and causing the starter to chip the flywheel??????????? causing it to lose teeth

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Yeah, its possible but it would take A LOT of endplay and that would also likely screw up your timing set.

·
Registered
1967 Coupe Deville
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have yet to have it checked by a mechanic but the new starter and flywheel are already beat up..my flywheel is missing more teeth than a hobo on crack

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I have never heard of it unless it is some trait of the old 429. It doesn't sound too logical to me. The torque converter and trans should hold it from moving very far.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
An old flywheel thats missing teeth would cause the starter to catch on the next tooth, making short work of both. If you look at the starter and the chips are only on the edge of the teeth, it needs shims. But you gotta get that flywheel out of there or you will run through starters

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
doesnt happen on any of these engines. its more of a problem with small engines and even then not usual to wreck the starter because of it. jayoldschool's idea is a better reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts