Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was being stupid and overtorque one of the nuts on the top rear shock mount and the bolt snapped. Does anyone have any spare rear shocks (broken shocks will work too as long as the top mount plate is undamaged) they are willing to sell? I really don't want to have to buy a pair of brand new pair of shocks just because a bolt snapped in half...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Mbai2 said:
I was being stupid and overtorque one of the nuts on the top rear shock mount and the bolt snapped. Does anyone have any spare rear shocks (broken shocks will work too as long as the top mount plate is undamaged) they are willing to sell? I really don't want to have to buy a pair of brand new pair of shocks just because a bolt snapped in half...
I have a new CTS shock $40. You can take the top off. I paid $70 for it.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lasstss said:
I have a new CTS shock $40. You can take the top off. I paid $70 for it.
Is this a CTS shock or a CTS-V shock? I need a CTS-V shock so if it is, I'll take it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Mbai2 said:
Is this a CTS shock or a CTS-V shock? I need a CTS-V shock so if it is, I'll take it.
Its a stock CTS shock, not a V. What dont you just drill out the plate and put a new bolt in it? Make sure its a grade 8.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lasstss said:
Its a stock CTS shock, not a V. What dont you just drill out the plate and put a new bolt in it? Make sure its a grade 8.
This is what I'm doing for now. The problem with this is that the bolt still spins no matter how much I tighten it so when I go over moderate bumps, I can hear the shock banging against the tower. The original stud was molded into the plate so it doesn't spin or move at all.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Mbai2 said:
This is what I'm doing for now. The problem with this is that the bolt still spins no matter how much I tighten it so when I go over moderate bumps, I can hear the shock banging against the tower. The original stud was molded into the plate so it doesn't spin or move at all.
Take it to a garage and have them TIG stitch it.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
StopLtRacr said:
I have a whole set of CTS-V shocks I'd be willing to sell. How much are you wanting to pay for the rears?
Another member here is willing to do $100 shipped for the rears. Can you do better?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts