Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding a Nitrous system... I mean I dont do that much racing around in the truck but thought it might be a cool little add on.. I sometimes hit up the shows down in Englishtown raceway during the summer and thought it would be a nice little surprise.. Just wondering if any1 has a NOS kit or what some opinions are.. I was thinking of getting a supercharger but like I said I dont really speed or anything and didnt want all that work done.. figured this would be the best way... also does anyone know how these are installed? is this some simple setup or is there alot of work involved.. most kits say like 2 hours for install but i wasnt sure how these get put in.. thanks for any input... oh and does anyone know how it effects the warranty.. i mean will they even be able to tell I have the kit just by changing the oil and such? thanks

·
Registered
06 escalade (stolen)
89 Posts
Re: Any1 Have Nos in their Escalade?

I think it a good idea. You are going to save alot of money verses a supercharger. I hope you ready have exhaust & air intake fliter.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade black w/ navi
233 Posts

yea, i agree a good idea, IF YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH

·
Registered
2004 Escalade black w/ navi
233 Posts

you cant put nos in a escalade, its american the engines cant handle that kind of output the way japanese imports do.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i researched some kits that say they are made for trucks and such.. they even have kits for diesel engines.. again ths is not some everyday thing to use.. just once in a while ot hit it up at the hsows and such.... im not looking for some sick fast and the furious setup.. something simple to give the little boost..

As of now I only have an intake... exhaust is in the works but i wasnt sure if i really wanted the extra noise of an exhaust.. had bad experiences with droning and such while cruising..

·
Registered
06 escalade (stolen)
89 Posts

Uria702 said:
you cant put nos in a escalade, its american the engines cant handle that kind of output the way japanese imports do.
You are very wrong. First if your putting a 50-100 shot the kit comes with everything you need. If he wants a kit with 125 & up. He will need a extra fuel pump that works only when the nos is in use. I would put bigger fuel injectors. Also a chip for nos & Also dry kit will be safer. Remember American heads are iron & most Japanese heads are aluminum. I can tell you never have had nos on any of your whips.:stirpot:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes I heard dry kits were better for the truck... Also I think the kit I am looking at has a setup for like a 50 shot.. which is what I was planning.. again im not looking for fast and the furious stuff.. jsut a little boost .. plus i alwasy wanted to drive and hit a nos button lol... however from what I hear the nos kit supposedly engages itself at a certain rpm or something like that... again I am not sure on the install.. some say it is fairly easy while other say it is a bit harder.. i guess i should take it to someone who knows what they are doing for something like this... i think the kit for the truck is like 400-500 plus isntall which should be like 2 hours.. if anyone can reccommend a shop in NJ that would be great..

·
Registered
06 escalade (stolen)
89 Posts

TheCaddyKidd said:
i researched some kits that say they are made for trucks and such.. they even have kits for diesel engines.. again ths is not some everyday thing to use.. just once in a while ot hit it up at the hsows and such.... im not looking for some sick fast and the furious setup.. something simple to give the little boost..

As of now I only have an intake... exhaust is in the works but i wasnt sure if i really wanted the extra noise of an exhaust.. had bad experiences with droning and such while cruising..
If it only for show get a 75 shot kit with a purge kit. The purge kits with the lights are cool.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

how much do purge hits run and whre would i have it shoot from... there are no side vents or anything like that on the truck... thanks for the input

·
Registered
06 escalade (stolen)
89 Posts

TheCaddyKidd said:
how much do purge hits run and whre would i have it shoot from... there are no side vents or anything like that on the truck... thanks for the input
I think it about $150. and maybe more for the one that has lights.
The shop that will put it in can give you some idea. I had a mustang & had it coming out from the back of the hood in front of the windsheld. :burn:

·
Registered
White diamond '04 Escalade AWD
122 Posts

TheCaddyKidd said:
I was thinking of adding a Nitrous system... I mean I dont do that much racing around in the truck but thought it might be a cool little add on.. I sometimes hit up the shows down in Englishtown raceway during the summer and thought it would be a nice little surprise.. Just wondering if any1 has a NOS kit or what some opinions are.. I was thinking of getting a supercharger but like I said I dont really speed or anything and didnt want all that work done.. figured this would be the best way... also does anyone know how these are installed? is this some simple setup or is there alot of work involved.. most kits say like 2 hours for install but i wasnt sure how these get put in.. thanks for any input... oh and does anyone know how it effects the warranty.. i mean will they even be able to tell I have the kit just by changing the oil and such? thanks
Guaranteed that if you break something with anything aftermarket, it voids the warranty. Had same thing happen to my wife's H2. Was a little out of alignment and a bent tie-rod after rock crawling... dealer wouldn't touch it since it has a lift kit installed.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts

Uria702 said:

·
Registered
None - 2007 Range Rover
1,452 Posts

I don't want to upset anyone, but I find this topic a waste of time. I don't understand why anyone would want to put NOS into their Escalade. We all paid a great deal of money for this truck and I think a Supercharger is a better idea and much more efficient. Obviously it is more expensive, but it's much safer and better for the engine. Don't do something that you will regret, like putting NOS in an Escalade. The two just don't go together. Well, I will stop my ranting, to each his own.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I agree, with the weight of the Escalade you would need a 150+ shot to make a big difference, and you will break parts unless you build the engine to hold up to the No2, it is a way to get hp cheap, but will probably cost you more in repairs in the long run

D

·
0 Posts
Not that I agree that nitrous is any worse than a supercharger since they both do the same thing, one pumps in added air and fuel while the nitrous does it through the decompostion of the liquid to a gas as it leaves the jets. Both increase combustion pressures one is dictated by pulley size and speed resulting in an overall boost number with the other adjusted by jet size and the leanness of the fuel curve.

The problem is 3 fold, you cant just bolt on nitrous and expect it to be perfect without checking it and maintaining the solenoids all of the time, you can't just leave a bottle open all of the time, plus some states have laws against bottles being connected while on the street. A bottle left open will generally seep empty "throught the lines" over a 2 day period, if you want to have it always available you need a $175 remote bottle valve.

Nitrous and fuel solenoids need to be rebuilt and resealed on a regular basis. Most of the time the seals just expand and will not clear the valve body when open, this is good it its just the nitrous valve, bad it the nitrous valve is clear but the fuel solenoid has a restriction.

I have campaigned single stage and dual stage kits on a 600 hp base big block camaro and can tell you its not the "gone in sixty seconds" or "fast and furious" super boost its made out to be until you push over the 175hp mark, and that is in a 3500 lb vehicle. In the 6000lb escalade you will hear the rpms climb faster and the trans spool but anything below that will just be useless. 50 to 75 hp kits would feel like absolutely nothing in car this big.

Also dry kits are the bane of nitrous users existance since you have to hope the injectors can keep up and do not lock up due to increased fuel pressure. At least with a wet kit you can tune fuel flow to match the nitrous use and at least guarantee the mix will be correct, barring any solenoid issues. More dyno explosions have been video taped because of these dry kit lockups than I have ever seen with a wet kit. Simply because you just cannot guarantee the injectors will match the nitrous flow. Up to 125hp they seem fine but most problems happen after that amount. The first amount where you will see any big seat of the pants feel should be around 150-175 jet numbers.

I used to engage the 125 stage out of the hole and then switch to the 250 side by second gear and the car would go from 11.3 natural to 10.50 on n2o if all other variables remained the same.

Also the hp numbers are nominal number and are no way accurate, flow, jet size and mix ratios determine the actual hp amount.

Ls1 cars were also prone to the pistons collapsing piston ring lands due to increased combustion pressures so I think our pistons would be no different.

Not that nitrous wont work, it is just not as easy as buying a 175 wet kit and slapping it on and then beating everything that moves. There is nothing worse than the message from the machine shop that says the head has so many cracks in the chamber that it is only barely fit as a paper weight. Any malfunctions can cause damage from as small as a blown intake gasket to that of a hole in the piston or smashed rod bearings. It all depends on the size of the error or lean condition, since being rich just decreases the, being lean determines the size of the explosion.

Hiding the install is another problem, a 2 hour install will stick out like a sore thumb to an auto dealer since the jets will be right near the maf or throttlebody. Hidden installs take time and planning and are a pain to do the above routine maintenance.

I have had alot of fun with nitrous and I have paid alot of bills for it also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive installed Nitrous kits on cars such as civics, integras, camaros, impalas, even astro vans, bmw's and expeditions. Big shots over 100 hp really arent for street driven vehicles. High hp kits require changes to spark plugs and retarded igntion timing to prevent detonation, these changes can affect the general performance when not spraying. I feel these sacrifices are not worth it for a street driven car If you look at a kit that is rated for 50 to 75 hp, these sacrifices arent necessary and there really isnt any other way to get more power for your money. I have never really heard of issues with solenoids going bad. Again these are street cars we are talking about not 10 second race cars. Ive personally had my nitrous kit on my acura for 3 years and I havent had a problem. I dont use the system very often, it automatically engages to spool up the turbo, and disengages once a preset boost amount has been reached. The wet systems are by far the more reliable systems due to what was written above in the post. They inject the correct air fuel ratio. You dont have to rely on the system to adjust a/f ratio. The ZEX kits are definitely the easiest I have ever installed. They can be installed in about 2 hrs. The other kits NOS Ntirous Express require plumbing of solenoids and lines and wiring switches, solenoids etc and can take up alot of time depending on how and where it is being installed. The ZEX kit comes with a box that contains the solenoids and electronics. You connect it to a single wire that goes to the TPS sensor, a ground wire and a power wire that is switched from inside the car. You need to tap into the fuel line to feed the system and run the nitrous line to the front of the truck. A hole needs to be made in the intake tract about 10 to 16 inches from the throttle body. The spray nozzle mounts here. Its a fairly straightforward install. There are jets that are used to adjust the flow of nitrous and fuel and they determine the power output of the system. If you were to do it yourself and ever have any problems, you can put the system back to stock inthe same amount of time and take it to the dealer "stock". The only hang-up Ive run into is with cars that dont have a throttle cable. Drive-by-wire cars are a little more difficult to deal with, those installs are definitely vehicle specific. Another thing to consider is that you cannot use nitrous with cars that have chips or ecu upgrades due to the changes made with ignition timing and fuel curves. At the shop where I used to work we charged about 800 for kits installed. Purge kits added anywhere from 150 and up depending on location and number of purges. Call up some companies and talk to them. They should be helpful in giving you some additional info. They will tell you that most engines can handle additions of up to 50% of the factory horsepower rating. I dont really go by that, but its a rule of thumb. I prefer to keep the numbers a little lower for reliability.

D

·
0 Posts
Yep forget about 2 degrees of retard for ever 25/50 hp over 150, thanks for the reminder. That retard has to come in almost instantly to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You cant even retard the electronic ignitions that the newer trucks have without getting into the ECU, as far as I know. Thats why I usually suggest something small. Im sure that truck can get away with a 75 shot, but first you would try a 50 to make sure you dont hear any signs of detonation. The power increase is going to be felt most at highway speeds where the transmission kickdown doesnt mask the kick from the nitrous. All the automatics I have done had the most noticable power increases on the highway, not light to light.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac AWD
322 Posts

TheCaddyKidd said:
however from what I hear the nos kit supposedly engages itself at a certain rpm or something like that...
TPS switch must be engaged (ie When you are WOT), AND there is what is called a "window switch" (RPMs must be between 2 values ie 4000 - 6000 or whatever). As long as you are armed and those two switches are engaged, boost, boost...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts