Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V6 AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 and the headlights seem to the light way 12ft at a time (seemingly) Anyways I'd like to replace the headlight low beams and the fog lights, any and all info is welcome. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,433 Posts
first thing you'll have to deal with is heat. If you look at any of the LED headlight conversions on the market, most will have some cooling fins or small fans. I've seen some headlight sockets melted. The other issue (and I'm not sure of this for your '06) is the light will scatter and you'll blind on-coming drivers who will flash their hi beams at you.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V6 AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first thing you'll have to deal with is heat. If you look at any of the LED headlight conversions on the market, most will have some cooling fins or small fans. I've seen some headlight sockets melted. The other issue (and I'm not sure of this for your '06) is the light will scatter and you'll blind on-coming drivers who will flash their hi beams at you.
Yet the ad's on Amazon make it seem so easy, I really appreciate the reply. I've not heard anyone say they scatter but looking at the light I could see that happening, besides it's a Cadillac what could possibly go right !! I think I'll head over to Sylvania's site and go with halogen. Thanks again

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,041 Posts
......... and fog lamps are designed to throw a patch of light on the ground out to about 25 feet. They are NOT "driving lights" - they are aimed low and diffuse in order to prevent too much light scatter off fog vapor droplets.

Driving lights are brilliant pencil beams, aimed straight down the road, and are now illegal for on-road use.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
368 Posts
I bought a set of HIDs for the high beams and all the components fit inside the light housing, a set cost just under $100. Leds were more expensive and use fans that can fail in time whereas the HIDs don't need fans. The low beams were already HID from the factory.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
275 Posts
I bought my car, it had aftermarket HIDs. Found out they are from Innovated, on Amazon, very inexpensive ($12 for 2 bulbs). Very happy with the lighting. I have the HIDs for the fog lights and the low beams. The ballasts are only like $40 each. Do it! Don't buy the LEDs.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V6 AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my car, it had aftermarket HIDs. Found out they are from Innovated, on Amazon, very inexpensive ($12 for 2 bulbs). Very happy with the lighting. I have the HIDs for the fog lights and the low beams. The ballasts are only like $40 each. Do it! Don't buy the LEDs.
So no flaws on the HID, I would like anything but the Halogen that burn up in no time. Did you get the ballasts at Amazon, did they come with the kit?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V6 AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
......... and fog lamps are designed to throw a patch of light on the ground out to about 25 feet. They are NOT "driving lights" - they are aimed low and diffuse in order to prevent too much light scatter off fog vapor droplets.

Driving lights are brilliant pencil beams, aimed straight down the road, and are now illegal for on-road use.
Whats illegal the LED?

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
275 Posts
So no flaws on the HID, I would like anything but the Halogen that burn up in no time. Did you get the ballasts at Amazon, did they come with the kit?
Ballasts and lights are separate. My car originally did not have HID, these are plug and play. But, massive upgrade over non HID.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
11 Posts
Most led's are plug and play. However unless they are the exact depth of the OEM bulbs of course the light is scattered. Several sellers make outrageous claims as the the lumens of light offered. Be wary of this. Some better kits do have adjustable bases so they can match the depth of OEM bulbs. Personally I recommend the HID's for headlights. Make sure the color selection is between 4300K to 6000K. 4300 being slightly yellow, 5000K mostly white, 6000K white with a light blue tint. Kits are available in 35 watt, 55 watt and more. Ballasts are in D/C and A/C. 55 watt with an A/C ballast is a good recommendation. All my vehicles not so equipped with HID lighting are now converted. 2001 GMC 2500HD Sierra, 2012 Hyundai Turbocharged Sonata, 2009 Escalade Hybrid with factory HID headlights. Other lighting on the Escalade has been replaced using 5000K (WHITE) LED's, fog lights, daytime running lights, all interior lighting, puddle lights, even used led strip panel lighting under the doors for ground lighting at night when doors are opened. I live in a desert so stepping on a scorpion or rattlesnake is not a good thing at night.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
11 Posts
One more point:
After I retired I part time did LED and HID conversions. I would recommend buying a "kit" for the conversion. Good HID kits are slightly more, seems from $40 to $90 and higher. Same for LED headlight kits. Quality is much higher now than in the past years. So if you are considering a lighting upgrade I would recommend using HID lighting for low beams and stock bulbs or LED lighting for high beams. HID kits have a slight delay of up to 20 seconds before reaching full illumination, LED illumination is instantaneous. Last consideration is DO buy a LED kit with the fan cooled base. I'm in Arizona, a little faint fan noise under is hood is a good trade for longevity. E-mail me if you would like a specific recommendation, always glad to help.

·
Registered
96 STS; 09 STS4 N* Platinum w/1SG & PCZ
195 Posts
I have an 06 and the headlights seem to the light way 12ft at a time (seemingly) Anyways I'd like to replace the headlight low beams and the fog lights, any and all info is welcome. Thanks

I put LED's in the high beam of my car, as the low beams were HID. I also put hid's in the fogs (3000k to get a yellow light). Both work great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts