Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI RWD FE2 Luxury
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen people talk about potentially using an air bag system when talking about upgrading their suspension. I haven't been able to find any threads where someone has confirmed that they are using the air bag system instead of Eibach/HR springs or coilovers. Has anyone actually done this to their 2nd Gen CTS? If so, did you run into any problems? Any recommendations on which kit/Company to use?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
What make, (model), year car do you drive? Please update your profile so that your username banner looks like those of other members.

AirLift has been around for 70 years. I used their stuff in 60s Chevys and Pontiacs when tuning the rear end for the dragstrip - but no reference to later Cadillacs, so maybe there's an answer why there aren't any CTS air bag suspension threads.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/know-squat/?alc_ad_ck=alcad9-20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Y_14oa14gIVCkgNCh3PaAsREAAYAiAAEgIY6PD_BwE

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,493 Posts
I have no experience with this particular air ride system or lowering the CTS. I haven't yet and probably won't lower my sedan. However I have owned cars with air suspension and lowered other cars with springs. IMO air ride provides the ultimate in stance and ride quality. The downsides are expense, difficulty of installation and reliability vs springs. It is relatively cheap and easy to install lowering springs and IMO they don't ride much stiffer than oem as long as you only lower about an inch. I'd go with springs unless money isn't a concern.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no experience with this particular air ride system or lowering the CTS. I haven't yet and probably won't lower my sedan. However I have owned cars with air suspension and lowered other cars with springs. IMO air ride provides the ultimate in stance and ride quality. The downsides are expense, difficulty of installation and reliability vs springs. It is relatively cheap and easy to install lowering springs and IMO they don't ride much stiffer than oem as long as you only lower about an inch. I'd go with springs unless money isn't a concern.
Thanks

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,493 Posts
You're welcome. I wish I could offer more insight into CTS lowering options but there are others here who've installed lowering springs or coil-overs. Hopefully some of them will chime in. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,392 Posts
Airlift or you can get a custom system built. Ksport also offers a kit. Ride quality depends on what tires and how low you will actually be driving the car. It's on air so you basically can adjust how firm you want the ride to be

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
7 Posts
I have a 2011 CTS Coupe with an air bag suspension. I’m using modified airlift struts up front and a pair of slam bags in the back

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2011 CTS Coupe with an air bag suspension. I’m using modified airlift struts up front and a pair of slam bags in the back
How do you feel the ride is compared to stock? If you were doing it to another CTS, would you do anything different?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also went with modified airlift struts up front and slam bags in the back, with Accuair air management... rides just like it did stock in my opinion.
Very nice. Did you roll your fenders in order to get those wheels tucked?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What struts did you use, and how were they modified? What slam bag kit did you use? This is my first time doing any suspension mods, so I have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,493 Posts
Attachment not working for me.

6/3/19: Still won't fully load.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,392 Posts
Haha severed cts and wagon on the same thread

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk