Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about having remote start installed in my '95 Fleetwood for whatever next winter decides to bring to New England. Has anyone here ever done it? I know it can get pricey, due to the security chip/key system needing to be bypassed. From what I've heard, this isn't a bad idea since those chips have a habit of failing eventually anyway.

But I just want to know exactly how miserable I'm going to be after I've paid 500 dollars to have someone ruin my car. I mean, it seems straightforward, but I've heard horror stories. Alarms that start going off for no reason, features that never work, or work when you don't want them to, random stalling. I also fully expect that every tab on every panel they remove in my interior will be snapped clean off as standard operating procedure. With my luck, all of the above will happen to me. And then some.

So basically, someone who's done it; TALK ME OUT OF IT.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,728 Posts
I would only run one that I installed myself. Too many hack techs out there that do starter installs that screw up wiring. If you have a wiring diagram, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I agree with Jay... Install yourself.
Some of the butchered installs and crappy customer service and I wouldn't let a shop do mine. They use scotch locks or just twist main power wires together. Then if there is an issue you'll get ignored anyways... I can ignore myself just fine.
The only hard part is figuring out the wiring and understanding the terminology they use.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille
1,152 Posts
get a multimeter and do it yourself...not real hard just time consuming...done mine years ago and still works fine...it got a lil tricky when i was adding a bunch of extra sensors...remote start is pretty straight forward though

FLEETWOOD 1994-1995
KEY T-HARNESS IMMOBILIZER
N/A N/A GM's VATS ANTI-THEFT System (if Equipped, Ignition Key has Chip), See NOTE #1
PART COLOR LOCATION DIAGRAM
12 VOLT CONSTANT RED (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER YELLOW (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 PINK (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 N/A
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 ORANGE (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A
KEYSENSE N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) GRAY/BLACK (+) BEHIND FUSE BOX
POWER LOCK LIGHT BLUE (TYPE A) IN EITHER KICK PANEL
POWER UNLOCK WHITE (TYPE A) IN EITHER KICK PANEL
LOCK MOTOR WIRE GRAY (5-WIRE TYPE) IN DRIVERS DOOR HARNESS
DOOR TRIGGER WHITE (-) or GRAY (-) IN EITHER KICK PANEL
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION USE DOOR TRIGGER, (Requires #775 Relay)
TRUNK RELEASE BLACK (+) or BLACK/WHITE (+) @ TRUNK RELEASE SWITCH
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN BLACK (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
TACH WHITE or WHITE/BLACK (AC) @ COIL MODULE
WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A
BRAKE YELLOW (+) or WHITE (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
FACTORY ALARM DISARM LIGHT GREEN (-) IN EITHER KICK PANEL
ANTI-THEFT 2 WHITE or 1 WHITE and 1 PURPLE, wires are in an ORANGE tube @ Ignition Switch
NOTES
NOTE #1: If vehicle is equipped with PASSKEY/VATS, Ignition Key will have a little Chip

on the Steel Shaft of the Key that can be seen. Requires 791 Bypass Module

for Remote starting

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
my 95 safari has remote start. its a basic 100 dollar dei (i think) job thats probably 10 years old at least. remote start, alarm, lock, unlock. only problem is it doesnt lock, and the alarm doesnt arm (TBH, not even sure if they hooked that part up). the lock part flashes lights and counts down to arming, but doesnt lock or arm the vehicle (im betting a wire wasnt hooked up properly).
no way in hell I would let someone install one. i have never seen one that worked properly/ was installed cleanly.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I had both mine done at a small shop and so far so good. I'm always worried about something happening and the shop not being there anymore.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I had it installed in my Deville and wouldn't hesitate to have it done by someone again. Just do your research before you go anywhere.

Then again if you do it yourself even if you're an amateur at wiring at least you know what you touched.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
I've had them in at least a dozen cars, all aftermarket, all installed by professionals, the latest is on my '95 Fleetwood. Other than the occasional fob issues (batteries, exposure to elements), I've had nothing but great luck.

My suggestion is to find out who has done them for a long time in your area, ask around about them, see how well they stand behind their labor as well as their merchandise.

I've taken mine in to have fobs programmed a few times, never once has anyone tried to charge me, even years after the install.

The last few I've bought were Python units, all around $250-300 installed. Couldn't be happier with the performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts