Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury AWD 2.0T Red Obsession
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and if so does it scratch? I was thinking of getting one but don't want the plate getting scratched up...thanks

·
Registered
2013 ATS RWD 2.0T Raven Black
6 Posts
I have the dealer plastic license plate frame on the rear, and I just noticed that it is rubbing the car's paint.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
In NJ and some other states, any frame that "obscures" any part of the letters on the plate is "illegal".
That includes say 1/16" of the top of the letters of the state name or motto. It can also be used as a lesser offense plea bargain for a questionable stop, like "the light was still yellow!", or "That certainly was a full stop!"

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
In NJ and some other states, any frame that "obscures" any part of the letters on the plate is "illegal".
That includes say 1/16" of the top of the letters of the state name or motto. It can also be used as a lesser offense plea bargain for a questionable stop, like "the light was still yellow!", or "That certainly was a full stop!"
I wouldn't expect anything less in NJ.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
I did the same with 3m tape to keep the plate down with no bottom bolts for the plate. The sub in the trunk was rattling the plate.
Scratch what, the plate? I have a metal frame and it doesn't hurt anything. I also put foam around the edges to prevent any rattles from my sub.
----------

Don't pump your own gas there either man.
I wouldn't expect anything less in NJ.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
:histeric::histeric::histeric:

I told time ago, separate NJ from US and join them to Canada. Problem solved.
In return, US should join Cuba as a state. Another problem solved.
I never realized some of their ridiculous laws until that lady with a Pennsylvania conceal carry got stopped in NJ. They wanted to put her in prison. A single mom, no priors, informed the officer, legally owned firearm and proper licensing in her state and was just driving through. Canada can have it.

I no longer wonder why the majority of people relocating to NC are coming from NJ and NY.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
You're so right. Same deal in Florida.

·
Registered
Red 2013 ATS 3.6 Performance
30 Posts
Hello bozack, I've always added the two mounting holes at bottom of plate. " Just mark the trunk deck and drill to size. Then install the plastic inserts, now you have four mounting holes to secure and keep plate from moving around." I just finished installing them last night. I have the plate mounted in metal frame. There is factory foam strip at middle of plate area. Everything is secure now, I'll check it out after a while and get back to you..FYI: Be sure to mark your drill bit with tape to prevent drilling into back side of trunk deck, It's only about 3/4" of free space then you will hit metal..Go slow drilling holes..

·
Registered
ATS coupe
51 Posts
I use weather strip foam tape on the back of my license plate the strip is 3/4 or 1" in width and about 1/4 thick or as thick as you feel you need.

You can pick up rolls of the stuff at any home store you will find it near the door and window seals the company name is Frost king.

Cut to size pull off the backing then stick it on the back of the plate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts