Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've been having issues with my OEM Delco power antenna unit. The first time I had it apart I had to replace the mast and cable and it worked for a couple months with no issue I followed the instructions on the SS Forums exactly. Just recently when ever I turn the radio on the antenna would go up then this grinding noise would start and the antenna wouldn't move unless I pulled it up manually, it does the same process going down.

I took the housing apart to discover the teeth on the storage drum where the cable wraps around to be very worn out causing it not to work with the motor.

Outsider gave me his power antenna unit off his parts fleetwood, it didn't work but I just assumed that his had the broken nylon cable problem I just wanted the stupid storage drum.... As it turns out the drum is in much worse condition the antenna mast won't even move just loud grinding noises.

So as the title states Anyone had luck with after-market power antenna units for 93-96 Cadillac Fleetwood?

Anyone ever installed one from these guys?
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Cadillac/Fleetwood/Fleetwood 1993-1996.htm

NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET PLEASE AND THANKS!:)

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I have had good luck just buying them on ebay for my Deville. I don't know how antennamastsrus can sell a Fleetwood antenna so cheap. If they are junk you sure aren't out much money. I wish they had one for my Seville but no such luck. I always figured I could get a 90's power antenna in it someday.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry about it man, its part of life! Delco who is the manufacturer of this unit should have known that plastic used with metal moving parts break easily. The part is 20 years old and each time the radio is turned on or off the gear wears itself out to the point where it won't turn with the motor... here are some pics of the wear on the gear... The odd thing about this problem is typically if something wears out, it would wear out evenly. In this case the teeth on this gear and the spare unit are not worn evenly they seem to wear out in the middle

----------

I don't know how antennamastsrus can sell a Fleetwood antenna so cheap. If they are junk you sure aren't out much money.
The reason why its so cheap is because it is not an OEM part and requires some wiring and slight mounting modifications. I called them and asked them how easy it is to wire this sucker up and their response was its very easy. They said all you need to do is cut the connector off the original unit and fuse them together to the new one easy right? Not for me its hard to tell what the 3 wires do and if its being connected properly one small error could do some damage. So I'm wondering if anyone here has ever installed this in the 93-96 fleetwood and if anyone could be good enough walk me through the steps and of course tell me the exact unit they used.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
I wonder if the teeth that turn that gear (or that gear turns) are narrower than that gear and that's why it wears out in the middle...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know all I know is it is so worn out that it has a big gap between the gear itself to the motor spooler shaft I put it back in place where the teeth aren't completely worn yet and I get lots of friction from the two parts, but as soon as the worn teeth hit the spooler shaft it slips and has lots of play

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I have a 95 FSM so if you need to know the wiring schematics for the power antenna I can give you them. That would hopefully make installing an aftermarket one as easy as they said it would be.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you I will try to install the after-market antenna this will help me out a lot!

·
Registered
89 FWSD, 91 FWB, 88 FWBD'
65 Posts
My '89 Fleetwood sedan with the rear antenna didn't work when I bought it. $150 at my car speaker guy and I got a brand new unit installed that's been perfect ever since.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay here's an update I installed the aftermarket unit and guess what!? this one is defective, I installed it this morning, took some time to get it mounted and to fit properly. I read the instructions checked the wiring voltages and then tried it out. The unit worked this morning but I went out for lunch and turned the radio on and the antenna came up half way then it stopped! I checked all the fuses on the car and all of them are fine, I disconnected the aftermarket and hooked up the old busted unit to see if there was power still going to the relay and there was. Not only was this unit a pain in the ass to mount/install, it doesn't even keep the rain water from entering the trunk! Its raining right now just went outside and can see water dripping through... In total I've invested $145 in this project, $50 for a new mast and cable to originally fix my unit-Lasted a couple months... $25 to have the old spare unit shipped to me just for the storage gear-that didn't work, $70 for the aftermarket-only lasted half a day.

At the end I've decided that I'm going to take the aftermarket out send it back to get my refund, take my old unit apart manually put the mast down, re-install it and order one of those hidden antennas you see in some modern cars. I found one on ebay for $5.00 and will be putting it in and be done with this, the original unit will never be used again for the rest of the car's life

The pros of not having a power antenna
No more dealing with broken cables/bent mast sections or punk kids getting at it
Can finally use the radio anytime-even when going through the car wash

-The cons
Takes away the classy look
Also takes away that Nostalgia feeling

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
That's too bad, man. I wonder if anyone could rebuild the stock units with better innards or something...might be worth trying. Maybe if you had a 3D printer

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I wish I could find someone with a 3D printer but haven't found one yet, I'm just done throwing money around and can't afford to fix something that is very fragile

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,456 Posts
Sorry to hear of your luck Mr. Little.... Thank you for saving me the time and effort of buying one of these units though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not saying their bad units I think the one I received was defective but I will say the exterior housing that prevents rain water from coming in to be complete crap but I hope others succeed at installing this in their cadillacs!

I did some looking around in my home city for a place that does 3D printing and found one close to my workplace so after work tomorrow I will be heading down there to get a quote on recreating that storage gear wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts