Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new UUC knob is coming today for my recent installed UUC shifter. The thread back in February has a lot of guys squawking about not being able to get the old knob off (50 4ever etc.). Has anyone given up? Can you break the shifter by yanking it to hard? What technique did you wind up finally using?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have never really had a hard time removing it- both times I changed shifters it pulled right off. Just put it 2nd gear and yank up.

If this doesn't work, try the following:

-Open the sunroof and straddle the knob (*snicker*).

-Grab with both hands all pull up.

-Be sure not to hit yourself in the face or groin.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
ok ok ok ... its not that hard

just sit in the drivers seat

shift into second, keep "shifting into second" and pull up

the knob should pop off in your hand, make sure you've pulled the boot away from the knob already

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Gettin the ol' knob off" is the hook for this thread!

No other way to say it though! I am worried about getin the old knob off.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I have never really had a hard time removing it- both times I changed shifters it pulled right off. Just put it 2nd gear and yank up.

If this doesn't work, try the following:

-Open the sunroof and straddle the knob (*snicker*).

-Grab with both hands all pull up.

-Be sure not to hit yourself in the face or groin.
Hey, with some people, there may not be a diff. LOL

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
funny... yesterday while driving at night, i shifted hard into 2nd, and the knob came off... the only thing holding it together was the leather boot. it scared the crap out of me, but scared my sister even more, who was in the passenger seat, already holding on, and then looks down and sees me holding the shifter at an unnatural angle

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
its really not that hard, just put it in 5th and push forward and up HARD and it will come off.
I'd be carfeul with that- sounds like a recipe for banged knuckles on the radio to me.

2nd should allow you to remove it, especially considering that several forum members have accidentally done it that way already.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Piece of cake. Had the new knob on in less than 3 minutes. Used the 2nd gear pull back and up method. I'm sure some others work as well. Put that baby on and what a freekin difference in that shifter. See my new post. Thanks again!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Getting the knob off the factory shifter is easy... getting off the UUC? That is a different story! ;)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
yeah but doesn't the UUC one look like a dildo? that's why i DON'T want it. i wouldn't mind another shifter though.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
If you can get past the fact it looks like a Dildo it's actually a quality shift knob. The lathe work is perfect and then they mill the shift pattern into the top of the knob and the machine work is second to none. I have larger hands and this knob also fits my hand better then the stock knob. Also with the extra weight, the car shifts smoother while cruising.

If this was the only knob UUC offered I would buy it again, If they made a knob to fit the V that looked like the C5 knob I would get that one instead.

If you appreciate fine metal work and a better shift then the UUC knob is for you.

If you can't get past the look then I guess you should look for another.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If you can get past the fact it looks like a Dildo it's actually a quality shift knob. The lathe work is perfect and then they mill the shift pattern into the top of the knob and the machine work is second to none. I have larger hands and this knob also fits my hand better then the stock knob. Also with the extra weight, the car shifts smoother while cruising.

If this was the only knob UUC offered I would buy it again, If they made a knob to fit the V that looked like the C5 knob I would get that one instead.

If you appreciate fine metal work and a better shift then the UUC knob is for you.

If you can't get past the look then I guess you should look for another.
yeah i appreciate that touching story, but my self-esteem is low enough... i don't need to lower it any further by grabbing a dildo-shaped-shifter and yanking it around for a few hours a day.

not to mention my passengers... what if my mother ever rides with me...?

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
I pulled while going into 2nd and the whole boot and plastic surround came off with the knob.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
DUDE. i thought i was the only that had that happen to me.

how did you fix it? just push it back on till it clicked? do you ever get scared now when you shift? because since then i haven't shifted the same. my shifts are slow and precise. i don't like that :(

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
DUDE. i thought i was the only that had that happen to me.

how did you fix it? just push it back on till it clicked? do you ever get scared now when you shift? because since then i haven't shifted the same. my shifts are slow and precise. i don't like that :(
If you're talking to me... I was trying to take the knob off to change my shifter. I wasn't driving when it happened. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts