Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard lots of good things about the Forever Black trim and bumper dye. So I was wondering if anyone used some to blacken their running boards or bumper trim etc. I was considering using it...

·
Registered
Cadillac
39 Posts
I've never used Forever Black, but I have used Mothers Back-to-Black on my bumper pad and running boards, and it works great.

·
Registered
04 Ext, 94 deville
198 Posts
Ive used similar product on my bed covers and bumper and looked brand new! loved it until first time it rained! Had oily grime all down sides of truck! Took me about 5 washes to completely remove it from covers an truck! Looks good when done! Who knows though this stuff could be different! Got mine from local dealer who uses it on all there cars to shine them up! Give it a shot and keep us posted! I myself would like to get this done! Dealers covered under warranty for some!
http://gatorbackcoatings.com/

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
The last product I used looked great too when it was done. When my wife tried using the running boards to get into the truck, they were as slippery as ice..

Let me know how well your product works. Would be nice to find a "safe" product...lol

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
I used forever black on my trim on my white Volvo S60 and it worked great - over a year later they still look black and there was no streaks on the car.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, I am gonna put it one today perhaps if the weather allows and I will take some before and after pics as well so you guys can see hehe.

·
Registered
Escalade
68 Posts
I used forever black on the plastic on my black 95 m3. It works great and lasted until i sold the car. Make sure to mask off the paint though. Definately recommend.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to hear that - I did not do it yet cos I was so tired from waxing and detailing the exterior and then it starts sprinkling and rain came down all crazy on Monday! Arrrgh!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it from Ebay and it costed about $16 with shipping.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE : I finally put it on today and this stuff is amazing. I have used all kinds of stuff to restore black trim previously on other vehicles but this stuff blows EVERYTHING ELSE out of the water! The process is not as fast though as they make it seem, you will have to apply several coats and make sure you tape off around the area you wish to get covered cos this stuff is a total pain to remove off paint! I put some on my other vehicle before I tried the 'Lade and some got on the paint and the "stain" is still there :( so be careful. Lucky I did not get any on the paint in the 'Lade :)

I will post a pic tomorrow of the running board so you folks can see how much better it looks. I did both running boards and the back bumper plate also :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the pic - as you can see the panel is actually black and not the faded gray look :)

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
8 Posts
pcguy, so is it 'as slick as ice' or are you happy with it. Couple more pics of the areas you did would be nice....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hunt, no it's not slick at all and it kinda looks like the plastic came black like that! I will try to take some pics of the back, etc. that I did later ...

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV Platinum
219 Posts
I have the 05 Platinum Edition ESV
My running boards look grey to me.
If I put some tire shine or armor-all on them, they become a darker richer looking grey color.
Are the original Non Platinum running boards black or grey?

Mine do get a faded white look to them after a while. I just rub them with tire shine and they look new again, but this only last 3-4 days.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV Platinum Edition
53 Posts
I have owned a 2002 avalanche for years, it had the gray plastic cladding, It would fade get chaulky, I use this once a year it works and is by far the best product made hands down for plastic renewal, I am going to do my caddy rear bumber plastic and sidesteps when I get around to detailing it. It works and last at minimum 6 months.
link
http://www.armordillots1.com/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any thoughts on using this forever black on bed panels of an EXT, any running in the rain, I have used armodillo and it does run in the paint when it rains, it isn't noticeable until you go to buff the paint and it all comes out of the paint. this is a noticeable oil slick when I buff where I have used the armadillo.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Walmart = 96 cents for spray can of flat black. Covers all kinds of mistakes and spots. Kind of like the dairies turn their mistakes into chocolate ice cream.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV Platinum Edition
53 Posts
sloppyd, do not use forever black on you plastic, on the avalanche, It will run, and it causes the panels etc to get chalky, I have replaced the plastic etc on my truck once the panels twice, I purchased it in 2002, just got rid of it, I hated to but got my escalade. I am talking about my avalanche. If you use the TS1 yoo do know that you need to wipe with a wet (damp towel after using the pad) this causes the ts1 to cure, after that it will not run, If you put it on heavy and do not user the wet towel to cure it It will run and is a pita to get off.

I do not think there are complete instructions on doing the curing though. But if you talk to a person at armordillo they will tell you this has to be done and it also make the ts1 last two to three times longer.
I suggest anyone with ext's to join avalanche fan club as well as this one, for good info on panels. etc and maintanace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts