Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road today and all of a sudden, it felt/sounded like I hit a big pothole... except that I didn't. It seemed to drive fine, so I went along my business...

When I came out from shopping, I looked underneath and saw that the right rear lower control arm's rear bracket had snapped off from the frame... Looks like the factory brckets are _very_ thin metal and they either rusted or fatigued... I've got an appointment next Tuesday to get it welded ack up, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen, or seen it?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Never seen it before. The weld must not have been quite right at the factory. Or perhaps you did hit a big pothole recently or sometime in the past that fatigued that area.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jadcock said:
Never seen it before. The weld must not have been quite right at the factory. Or perhaps you did hit a big pothole recently or sometime in the past that fatigued that area.
Nothing since I've had it... seemed strange to me, as well. When you look at it, the metal is very thin and I don't know if it will be able to be welded. I think they'll have to fabricate a bracket... I'll have them check the other three mounting points in the back when I get it to the welding place.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
I did rear coils on my 97 not long ago. I'll tell ya, those arms are tough, and would be pretty hard to snap. Suspect there was a defect in the metal of your arm. BTW, I have an OH Caddy with 157k miles.

Oddly, my buds 05 Saab's LF coil snapped the other day. I was actually in the garage when it happened. Car dropped about 3 inches in RF. Good thing he was not on the road when it happened. BTW, he only had 20k miles on the vehicle. Shit happens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Closet Boy said:
I did rear coils on my 97 not long ago. I'll tell ya, those arms are tough, and would be pretty hard to snap. Suspect there was a defect in the metal of your arm. BTW, I have an OH Caddy with 157k miles.

Oddly, my buds 05 Saab's LF coil snapped the other day. I was actually in the garage when it happened. Car dropped about 3 inches in RF. Good thing he was not on the road when it happened. BTW, he only had 20k miles on the vehicle. Shit happens.
Maybe I didn't describe it well... the control arm itself is fine, you're right, they are beefy. But... have you looked at the brackets that they bolt into? Flimsy! Very thing gauge. I think that my car's problem with the rear hub knuckle bushings probably but a lot of stress on the other rear suspension parts and fatigued the mounts. When I get the broken one repaired, I'm going to have them reinforce the other ones to make sure this doesn't happen again...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dooman said:
What year/model vehicle do you have?
93 STS

Dropped it off to the local welding shop yesterday. They're going to re-fab a mounting bracket for the rear lower control arm and I should be back in business...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts