Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered one because my sliding piece was broken off, but I was looking at the old one on now, and was wondering how to get that thing off? I am hoping it just pops off and sticks on, otherwise I have no idea how Id get to the internal screws. Anyone know how to get the old one off and put a new one on?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah its real easy. You'll need a drill bit about as wide as the head of the rivets that are holding it on. The cover is pop riveted on. Just drill the head of the rivet off. Thats the mushrooms that you are seeing. You'll end up with a metal ring around the tip of the drill bit. Then place a large flat blade screwdriver behind the cover and gently pry towrads the rear of the car. If its a little tight you'll want a small punch or small phillips driver and gently tap the remaining rivet out.You might want to throw a few pieces of masking tape around the cover in case you slip off. You'll see it'll pop right off. The tricky part is now you need a pop riveter and a few appropriate size rivets. Marson is a popular and cheap pop riveter that works great and will last forever even if you drop(or throw) it. About 10-15 dollars for this at an auto parts or autobody (preferable)supply shop. If it sounds intimidating it won't be once you do it.Let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts