Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Black '07 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading reviews on the Whistler site and my girlfriend's dad has one, but I'm just wondering if any of you Caddy enthusiasts have ever bought and installed one? You can get 'em on Amazon for $159.98, which I think is a real good deal. On the Whistler site they are like $330. I know it's not the best radar detection, but I love the fact that it's hidden out of site. So I guess I'm just wondering if any of you guys have hands on experience with this model and how it performs? I would much appreciate any input!

Here are the links in case you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Pro-3450-Installation-Radar-Detector/dp/B0001MZ88Q

http://www.whistlergroup.com/pro.asp

http://www.whistlergroup.com/manuals/remotes/pro3450installation.pdf

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
You'd do better with a V1 or a Beltronics and then have a laser jammer hidden out of sight. LOL
I personally have a Beltronics.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i wish they were legal in ontario...

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I have a Beltronics RX65 that I use daily whenever I have to take a drive on any highway. I'm looking into getting the Laser Interceptor, then having that hidden into the grill and in the air con. I found it used for $170... my friend who owns an Evo 10 bought the same one for close to 400. This was some time ago, and now I think you can find them for roughly 220ish. Keep an eye out and you should be able to snatch one up. Valentine 1 is also a good one, just make sure its the updated firmware one.

·
Registered
Black '07 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. thanks, that's good info. I have a dumb question then. I guess I'm confused - what is the laser intercepter then? is that just the radar detector? or something else? Thanks in advance man.

I have a Beltronics RX65 that I use daily whenever I have to take a drive on any highway. I'm looking into getting the Laser Interceptor, then having that hidden into the grill and in the air con. I found it used for $170... my friend who owns an Evo 10 bought the same one for close to 400. This was some time ago, and now I think you can find them for roughly 220ish. Keep an eye out and you should be able to snatch one up. Valentine 1 is also a good one, just make sure its the updated firmware one.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
There's 2 types of guns the cops use to catch people speeding. 1 is radar, the other is lidar (ladar, laser).

Radar detectors like Beltronics, V1, etc normally catch radar in time for you to slow down and beat a ticket, but Laser is normally an instant tag, so once the thing beeps, they've already got your speed and your getting pulled over anyway.

What Laser Interceptor does, is it jams the laser frequency so that the gun can't read the correct speed just enough for you to be able to slow down, and turn it off so they can try again and then catch u at a speed within the limit.

The video has that "class video" feel, but at least it'll get some of what I'm getting at across.

·
Registered
Black '07 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's good stuff man, thank you. I watched a couple more vids and it makes total sense now. So it's not even worth getting that Whistler. Those laser intercepters are pretty expensive, not sure if its worth it, plus i don't know if they're legal in WI.

There's 2 types of guns the cops use to catch people speeding. 1 is radar, the other is lidar (ladar, laser).

Radar detectors like Beltronics, V1, etc normally catch radar in time for you to slow down and beat a ticket, but Laser is normally an instant tag, so once the thing beeps, they've already got your speed and your getting pulled over anyway.

What Laser Interceptor does, is it jams the laser frequency so that the gun can't read the correct speed just enough for you to be able to slow down, and turn it off so they can try again and then catch u at a speed within the limit.

The video has that "class video" feel, but at least it'll get some of what I'm getting at across.

·
Registered
2011 TG CTS Coupe
200 Posts
I've run a V1 since '00 with success. No defense against laser as stated above. Installed on a BlendMount and hardwired. Great look and protection. I have a jammer on my wish list.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I originally wanted to purchase a V1 because of its arrow method, being able to tell WHERE the signal is coming from is a big +, but I couldn't pass up what I paid for the Beltronics.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
I've been reading reviews on the Whistler site and my girlfriend's dad has one, but I'm just wondering if any of you Caddy enthusiasts have ever bought and installed one? You can get 'em on Amazon for $159.98, which I think is a real good deal. On the Whistler site they are like $330. I know it's not the best radar detection, but I love the fact that it's hidden out of site. So I guess I'm just wondering if any of you guys have hands on experience with this model and how it performs? I would much appreciate any input!

Here are the links in case you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Pro-3450-Installation-Radar-Detector/dp/B0001MZ88Q

http://www.whistlergroup.com/pro.asp

http://www.whistlergroup.com/manuals/remotes/pro3450installation.pdf

Thanks again!
Dont get the Whistler Pro-3450 its an old model and there are many better units out there for not much more money. If you want a remote installed unit under $300 look at the new Whistler PRO-3600 which uses a different antenna than the older 3450 and has much better protection and its expandable in the future to add gps, additional radar heads etc. If you need more information you can contact me directly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts