Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tops if my headlights are getting scratch-like spots that seem to be getting worse. They look like scratches and are randomly spreading. It's only on the tops...rest of the headlight and the paintwork around the headlight is fine...not scratched or anything.

It almost looks like oxidized fiberglass or something. I get the car washed at least once a week and nothing even close to being abrasive it used, yet this is getting worse. You guys think it's some chemical or something at the carwash reacting with the plastic? Only thing I can come up with...

Any ideas? I'm still under warranty btw...going to take it in next week to get serviced and see what I can get done with the headlights.:wtf:

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
You know I bought a silver V (used) as my daily driver in Jan.... It was already like that..I have no idea why it was like that.. i didnt ask the previous owner how it happened.. sorry, wish I could help..

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know I bought a silver V (used) as my daily driver in Jan.... It was already like that..I have no idea why it was like that.. i didnt ask the previous owner how it happened.. sorry, wish I could help..
When I bought mine in March it had just a few, I didn't really worry about it. Seems to be getting worse and spreading since then...wasn't this bad when I bought it...

·
Registered
852 Posts
yeah this is weird.. I wasnt worried about it because I had the Black V put away for sunny days..

Take it to the dealer and get them to drop two new ones in..

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
I know I've heard others talk about getting lights replaced under warranty for this. Mine have a couple of scratches but nothing like your pictures. That looks like ass. Do you use an automatic car wash?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum
1,182 Posts
mine are like that too

I recall several people explaining how to polish the scratches out

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I've heard others talk about getting lights replaced under warranty for this. Mine have a couple of scratches but nothing like your pictures. That looks like ass. Do you use an automatic car wash?
Yup...it's half auto/half hand wash...I'm thinking it might be the drying agent they use at the end of the wash, only thing I can think of. Car is parked in a garage during the day minus the weekends.

Not using that carwash anymore...any yous guys using a protective film over your headlights? Thinking I might slap some on the new headlights...

·
Registered
852 Posts
^^^^^yeah that???

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine are like that too

I recall several people explaining how to polish the scratches out
Pretty sure these will not polish out...they are VERY deep, will probably do more damage trying to polish them out.

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
I was told, and I quote; "headlight paint deterioration is not covered by warranty." this was at Marvin K Brown Cadillac here in San Diego.

Especially avoid them if your car has *ANY* modifications done to it. Last time I was in they charged me 320 dollars to tighten the rear cradle bolts because they said the new rear suspension's lack of soft rubber parts caused the cradle to come loose...

80 dollars a bolt. Not bad... :annoyed:

To fix the headlights, scuff and spray with clear. Problem solved.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
hate to say it but, imagine what your paint looks like if your plastic lights are getting scratch like that:confused:

ok instead of spending big $$$ on new ones a few here have painted the outside of the lights to match the car paint, just the part that is "glued" together if that makes and sense....looks sharp IMO and cheaper...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the thing...the paint is fine, scratches like that would be obvious in the clearcoat.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
That's the thing...the paint is fine, scratches like that would be obvious in the clearcoat.
true enough, well if you did paint them..you could sand them out...paint and clear the whole assy....should cost no more than $100

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
47 Posts
I had the same thing happen on the passenger side light. Driver's side was fine. Dealer said it was peeling and replaced under warranty. Since it was only at the top it may be delaminating from uv lighting.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Its the sun's uv rays that are doing this to the plastic. GM probably speced the cheapest material they could, and this is what happens after a few years. I had a Camaro do a similar thing, there were many tiny scratches and cracks in the headlights that eventually made them look dull and cloudy. Although my car was 6 years old when this started.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
935 Posts

·
Registered
06 Stealth Grey CTS-V
78 Posts
Mine are like that. Warranty rep said that it was "wash chemical related" and not covered under warranty. Hope you have a better result.
IMHO, it is UV damage from the Sun. I'm going to try polishing them out someday. Are all CTS lenses the same? If one was to come across a set of cheaper CTS lights, could the lenses be swapped? I don't necessarily care about the headlight washers.

On a related note...the rubber piece across the top of the windshield on my car is rock hard and cracked as well. UV again?? Again "chemical related...not covered". But that will be replaced with the first windshield change coming soon.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts