Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ELR
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past two months, I've been having alot of problems with RemoteLink, I know there's a big upgrade coming to the onstar hardware soon, something about changing receivers to connect to a 4G network. I'm not sure if its related but basically updating my vehicle data on my phone is extremely spotty, it works once out of 5 times and is usually super slow (more than usual, if that's even possible) notifications to my cell don't work either.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2014 ELR
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has worked perfectly, not one issue yet. I use a Blackberry, not an iPhone.
Interesting, I wonder if it makes a difference. I own both a Blackberry and an Iphone, I'm going to give it a shot and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
19 XT4 17 CT6E 14 ELR, XTS Vs 13 ATS 2.0 10 SRX 09 CTS 08 STS-V 05 STS 04 CTS, EXT
42 Posts
Spotty for me as well and I use a Windows phone. Not sure that's related. However, when it works, I LOVE this capability.

----------

BTW, I had a 2013 ATS and it was even spottier as half the time it would drop the navigation download when I got to the car. The ELR is much more reliable there. I also have a 14 XTS VSport and works pretty much the same as the ELR. Not bad but not as great as it should be...

·
Registered
ELR
24 Posts
I have a 2014 Cruze Eco as well as my ELR and the Remote Link works fine with the Cruze. I do not have OnStar on the ELR right now, I have to call them to get it set up and just have not had time.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up to this, Blackberry is slow as well. I contacted Remotelink CS they dont seem to have a solution but they did mention that it could be related to the switch to 4G. I asked for a timeline on the switch in Canada and got a convincing "Soon".

·
Registered
2014 Escalade ESV
58 Posts
Mine still works perfectly. Must be because I have a two year old Blackberry. In fact, 10 months after my purchase of the ELR, I have yet to experience one issue with any aspect of this car. I have had a flawless experience, including the free Bosch charger. Even the free installation was quick and professionally done. It's a shame so many are unhappy with their purchase. I think I would still have been happy without the $22K discount off MSRP, free 84 month/75,000 mile extended warranty, and $10K Federal and State tax credits...

·
Registered
ELR
25 Posts
I have only had my ELR for 2 months and remoteLink has run the same throughout that time. I would classify the experience as horrible. Any button press takes over 5 minutes before it reaches the car, and thats only when it doesn't show fail after you waited the 5 minutes. I used it for remote start but soon realized by the time the car would actually start, I could be home. So it was better to run outside and get close to the car and press the actual fob button then to use RemoteLink. I can't imagine anyone needing it for the panic button. They would be dead and buried before the horn would go off. lol. I too live in Canada so I am hoping you are right and this will fix itself with "switch to 4G" otherwise RemoteLink is useless junk.

12,778 Posts
Hello Altivec,

I am very sorry to hear that you’ve experienced these issues with your RemoteLink. I know how frustrating something like this could be and I apologize for any inconvenience it has caused you. If you would like to speak to our OnStar team about these concerns, please email us at [email protected] with ATTN: OnStar in the Subject line.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
ELR
25 Posts
Hi Austin,

Thanks for your reply. Living in Canada, it is essential to have remote start in the winter time so RemoteLink is definitely a feature I would like to use. As this is my first Cadillac, I assumed remoteLink just wasn't very good. I really am not sure what the normal acceptable time delay should be between button press and the execution of the command to know if there is something wrong with my specific car or remoteLink in general. I live in a big city with high cellular coverage, I've tried it when on LTE, 3G, and full Wifi. I have also tried it on multiple devices and its always the same. Like I mentioned, my average wait time is about 5 minutes but every once in a while its a little quicker, but never less than a couple of minutes. If this is not normal and is something that you believe can be fixed, I will definitely follow your advice of contacting social [email protected].

12,778 Posts
Hello Altivec,

I forwarded your posts on to the OnStar team in my department and they would like to speak with you regarding this issue. Please email them at [email protected] with ATTN: OnStar in the subject line. Additionally, please include within the email your full VIN and/or account number, type of device/phone you are using RemoteLink on, the current operating system of that device, and a brief summary of your concern (such as what you provided here). Once they have received this they will be able to work toward a resolution of this delay that you are experiencing.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
ELR
25 Posts
Hi Austin,

I was just about to email in my info when I decided to use RemoteLink to get some exact times. For the first time ever, it responded with-in 5-15 seconds. I don't know if they were able to track me down from the posts you sent them or if it was purely a coincidence that the network got fixed but at the moment RemoteLink is working acceptably. I will keep an eye on it to see if today was a fluke but otherwise thank you very much for helping me with this. It will make life a lot easier next winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts