Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Sedan de Ville De Elegance
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Deville has a factory Carriage top, its a fake convertible top. It's a fabric or canvas. Anyone else have one of these tops on their car , and if so what did you use to protect it ?? Mine is in good condition, but I would like to treat it with some type of waterproofing.
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
There is not much you can do to the canvas tops. They are very durable, much more so than the vinyl top on my '88 and the leather top on my '90. Those have a tendency to dry up and crack/rip but the cloth ones will last forever. The problem with them is they are so porous they just absorb anything you put on them and it is never truly protected. I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
You can put coleman waterproofing spray on it. You find it in the camping aisle, its used to waterproof your tent. It'll make the water bead off the top.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
There isn't much to worry about as far as it getting wet. The fabric will dry quite quickly. More need to keep it clean and protect from Sun damage. The most recommendations I've seen are for RaggTopp. It is made specifically for Convertible Top care. Do a search for it and you will find it available numerous places.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille / 173,000 miles
121 Posts
My 98 has a light tan colored one installed by Top Coverage and with 148k miles it still looks new. (you can see pics in my albums). All I do is run it through the soft cloth wash once or twice a week. The only extra care it needs is once in a while I need to spray a little citrus cleaner and scrub a little harder with a cloth towel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, yes far as the way it absorbs, I do notice that when I wash it the water just disappears ! Wonder where it goes !!!??? Hope the roof isnt rotting underneath, guess I worry to much !!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Carseller, your is just like mine, and yours does look great still ~! Love the chromes too !!

·
Registered
1998 DeVille / 173,000 miles
121 Posts
Thanks Hendrob. Why don't you post some pics? By the way, in my last post I talked about using citrus cleaner and a cloth . I forgot to say that is only on the "hidden" areas like where the cloth goes under the trunk or door edges. I guess its because those areas don't get washed as good, plus they don't ever get any sun so they stay wet longer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I will post some pics soon, I just got it back from the paint shop today, I did a little work on it, bottoms of the doors and front facia, soon as I get her all back together I'll take some pics.
I better take a few pics of the 83 Eldorado too I guess, as I'm going to part her out soon as I put the 97 on the road
Bob

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I have one on my 89 STS. Some people tell me it's not factory so I don't know but it's been on there since 1989 and it's in fine condition. I've never done anything but wash it.

N

·
0 Posts
I have a 2003 cadillac deville gold package and have the fake top its black can it go through a car wash anything special to take care of it?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:welcome:

Nice thread redirection.

Just wash it as you would the rest of the car. The only thing to be careful with is pressure washers. If you're using one to wash the car, keep it a good 10" from the roof.

Car washes are perfectly fine.

DO NOT use any convertible top products on it.

If you must treat it, you can use Raggtop by Hartzz, but it's really not necessary. The adhesive and the tread holding the sections together will fail before the fabric.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
Having previously owned a convertible with a black canvas top, RaggTopp is the way to go for this application.

Do it. :lol:

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
A convertible top and the material these are made of are very different. Hence the warning not to use convertible top products on them.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
The last Cadillac with a factory vinyl top was the '93-'96 Fleetwood. Anything else, weather vinyl or fabric, is aftermarket. Fabric tops are much more durable than vinyl ones. The weak points, and they depend on the installer, are cheap thread being used to join the sections, vinyl bindings, and cheap adhesives.

Bindings can be replaced in most cases, and the fabric can be glued back down. Cheap thread failing after a decade or so necessitates replacement though. Depending on the style of roof and the fabric used, it's a ~$800-$1,800 job.

·
Banned
1998 Eldorado
36 Posts
The last Cadillac with a factory vinyl top was the '93-'96 Fleetwood. Anything else, weather vinyl or fabric, is aftermarket. Fabric tops are much more durable than vinyl ones. The weak points, and they depend on the installer, are cheap thread being used to join the sections, vinyl bindings, and cheap adhesives.

Bindings can be replaced in most cases, and the fabric can be glued back down. Cheap thread failing after a decade or so necessitates replacement though. Depending on the style of roof and the fabric used, it's a ~$800-$1,800 job.
Lmao you couldnt be more wrong!

·
Registered
1996 and 2002 Cadillac SDV
74 Posts
The last owner had parked my 1996 CDV under a tree? Why? It now has black marks left in the canvas top and i have bought all kinds of cleaners and including canvas cleaners but nothing has worked,
any suggestions? Thanking you all in advance for your solutions!

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Parking under a tree shouldn't cause marking.

Dawn dish soap, warm water, and a soft brittle brush. A (NEW) shoe polish brush works good.

If that doesn't work, it's time to replace the fabric.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts