Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing if anyone else got the new longtube header and cat pipes from B&B yet. I took my old headers and pipes off tonight after work and going to be installing the new kit real soon. I still need to get the 02 bungs welded in the collectors and am waiting for the ARP stud kit to show up. I didn't go the stud kit route the first time but will do them this time around. I don't see how the front 02's are going to reach the new collectors but we will see. I figure we are going to have to come up with about 5" or 6" of slack to reach.
Anyway, just seeing if anyone else has them yet and if they got them on. And if they did, were you able to reach with the front 02's without extending the harnesses?
Here are a few pics...

Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
urbanski said:
e-mail Billy and ask him about it
edit: yeah, my studs are coming too :)
as are the Magnecors, etc :D
I may just go out and set one in with a couple of bolts and see if the front 02 will even come close to where the bung is going to be.
Yeah I will try that...;)

Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple more pics, here is how they were on the tri-y headers.. So the fronts now basically have to reach where the rears were before.

And here now is the new longtube header with the 02 pulled tight and this is as far as it will reach.

The 02 harness is not connected to the back of the block anymore and this is as far as it will reach.. "Not far enough" Maybe if I can get back there I can undo the wire loom of the main wire harness and see If I can get a couple more inches of slack out of it that way. If not they will need to be extended unless someone makes a plug and play extender "which would be real nice" or unless I am missing something that I should have already noticed..:hmm:

Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
urb,
Get yourself a 13mm ratchet wrench if you don't have one, that is what I used to get the header bolts on and off.. Good idea on the roll of sound deadening...:cool2: Oh, and it took me 1 1/2 hours to get the car from pulling up on the ramps to all apart to where I am now with it.. No cuts either, I think it is a pretty easy job, even easier the second time you do it. You always seem to knock off more time off a job the more times you do it..

Bill

·
Registered
23,162 Posts
HDMLNIUM said:
urb,
Get yourself a 13mm ratchet wrench if you don't have one, that is what I used to get the header bolts on and off.. Good idea on the roll of sound deadening...:cool2:

Bill
yeah bro :) i'm good there...I read every "how to" header thread and have my tools ready. But still worried about my Tq wrench fitting when it's time to bolt her all back up.
http://www.stealthv.com/headers.htm
Look at the last pic, looks like stubby sockets. I have a 1/2" tq wrench with long sockets, i don't have a problem buyint stubbies but they may be hard to find in 1/2 drive :cool2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
HDMLNIUM said:
A couple more pics, here is how they were on the tri-y headers.. So the fronts now basically have to reach where the rears were before.

And here now is the new longtube header with the 02 pulled tight and this is as far as it will reach.

The 02 harness is not connected to the back of the block anymore and this is as far as it will reach.. "Not far enough" Maybe if I can get back there I can undo the wire loom of the main wire harness and see If I can get a couple more inches of slack out of it that way. If not they will need to be extended unless someone makes a plug and play extender "which would be real nice" or unless I am missing something that I should have already noticed..:hmm:

Bill
i had the same issue with the tpis headers (also long tube) ended
up buying new 02 sensor 90 bucks.:annoyed:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine should be here in a week or 2. Can't wait to get them. You should have the O2 sensor thing worked out by then. I also ordered the ARP studs from Jegs. I didn't order any gaskets. Do the gaskets that came with the new headers look better than the old ones?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
urbanski said:
look at the stealthv.com link i posted above :)
very detailed how-to
and yes i bought the gaskets and studs from summitracing.com
I found the studs but the gaskets are out of stock. :( Does anyone know where else I can buy them?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Urby, a 3/8" drive torque wrench is in the photos; a 1/2" may work but I never tried.

The O2 sensor harness is clipped to the rear of the head/block. With it loose there *should* be enough room to reach the new location.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan,

I wouldn't use the header gaskets that come with the kit, the are a composite of some kind and will leak somewhere down the road. I bought the Perseys multi-layer aluminum ones and changed them out a while back, much better way to go.

1badcady, do you have the part number of the longer front 02's that you used so I can get them ordered??

urb,
I use my 3/8 drive torque wrench for the smaller stuff and save the 1/2 torque wrench for the things like the craddle bolts where you need the leverage..:yup: You will want to get a 3/8 drive torque wrench for the header bolts and the spark plugs, atleast that is what I used to finish everything off with..
Here are some pics for you..
Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
StealthV said:
Urby, a 3/8" drive torque wrench is in the photos; a 1/2" may work but I never tried.

The O2 sensor harness is clipped to the rear of the head/block. With it loose there *should* be enough room to reach the new location.
Rick,
The 02's on my car are both un-clipped from the back of the heads, pulled tight right from the main harness. They will not reach my friend, unless maybe if he is putting the 02 bungs where I would think he wouldn't?

Bill

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
12 Participants
HDMLNIUM