Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
The next question will be whether or not you can upgrade to the new, 2016 high-definition cluster.

·
Registered
2015 CTS vsport
21 Posts
I bought it from eBay, I would be very interested if the high def cluster will be plug and plan. The only parts needs are a trim removal tool and a socket wrench. Every bolt that needs to be removed is the same size. I really studied repair procedures prior to attacking this. Pretty easy and I'm not very car savy.

·
Registered
2015 CTS vsport
21 Posts
Absolutely. If anyone is stuck let me know. It's far easier than I thought. i would just buy a nice trim removal kit that has a very small tool in the arsenal. As said before all bolts are the same. I was worried about breaking clips but all the clips in this car are nice metal ones. Also, there is no need for the GM star screw driver which I purchased mistakenly. Just an FYI

·
Registered
2015 CTS vsport
21 Posts
Am I allowed to post a link? I'm not sure how these forums work?

----------

It's just repair procedures.com

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport
13 Posts
Zmail-

Did they say if it would void the warranty or not? My dealership said it would void it even if the cluster is OEM.

·
Registered
16 CTS
4 Posts
Sorry to dig up a new thread but i went to the dealer and they are stuck on stupid! Dont know anythig let alone to flash a new cluster. Anything to do with customizing the car after the sale is taboo. But i want to change the cluster to the lcd any updates as to what the dealership has to do specifically?

·
Registered
Prev: '14 Infiniti Q50, '16 CTS 3.6 Performance, Now: '19 Sierra AT4 6.2
117 Posts
Sorry to dig up a new thread but i went to the dealer and they are stuck on stupid! Dont know anythig let alone to flash a new cluster. Anything to do with customizing the car after the sale is taboo. But i want to change the cluster to the lcd any updates as to what the dealership has to do specifically?
I too have been looking at swapping in the lcd cluster. I have a 16 Performance. I have visited a few dealers and all of them said no, it can't be done. The only option i see right now is buying the cluster and having it programmed by a 3rd party. I think some ebay sellers can do cluster reprogramming but there is a possibility this will void the warranty (not exactly sure how the dealer would know the cluster has been replaced though without thoroughly investigating).

I think these are the cluster part#s from gmpartsdirect.
1. w/o hud -> 84053998
2. w hud -> 23353428 (looks like this is no longer available for purchase)

BTW, this thread is a bit old and all those who attempted replacement had 14-15 CTS. The lcd cluster for 16 is different so not even sure it would be a direct bolt-on for the 16 w/o lcd cluster.

·
Registered
16 CTS
4 Posts
Thanks. I do want to see whats all involved to do the swap. Ill just bite the bullet and see what happens. Worst case i just swap the needles back in

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. I do want to see whats all involved to do the swap. Ill just bite the bullet and see what happens. Worst case i just swap the needles back in
Cool. Since you have already decided to take the plunge, let me offer a few more suggestions to increase your chance of success. I think you'll have more luck if this is approached a bit more methodically (engineer by trade).

I have been trying to locate the service manual for the 16 CTS and so far, the only thing i can find is this https://www.repairprocedures.com/service-manual/document/2016/cadillac/cts/driver-information-and-entertainment/instrument-cluster-replacement/100303655_8475403_9571418_9626291_8_3469635.html but it requires a subscription.

Anyways, the reason i mention this is the techs in the dealerships usually don't have any trade secrets. To service/program something for the car, they follow step-by-step instructions outlined in the service manual on how to accomplish said task. For programming, this will usually involve putting the car in some form of debug mode, entering a sequence of codes and/or using a special tool to complete the programming. The special tool part is what i'm worried about as service tools can be hard to obtain and/or very expensive.

Below is a preview snapshot from the page on cluster replacement. I'll research a bit more but let me know what you come up with on your end.
Cluster_Replacement.JPG

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS Sedan Turbo Luxury
4 Posts
I'm currently waiting for the cluster from GM for my 14 CTS 2.0T luxury using the Full LCD Display. I want to keep it original to the year but no one has made heads or tails whether an high-def LCD cluster that came out in 16 would fit and be programmable for 14-15. Please let me know because I can always reorder another cluster. Thank you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm currently waiting for the cluster from GM for my 14 CTS 2.0T luxury using the Full LCD Display. I want to keep it original to the year but no one has made heads or tails whether an high-def LCD cluster that came out in 16 would fit and be programmable for 14-15. Please let me know because I can always reorder another cluster. Thank you.
Have you looked at the thread where nyinstaller did the same for the ATS? http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/562442-xts-cluster-swap-man-took-long.html

The general consensus i've gotten is, if you don't have access to GM MDI, Tech 2 and SPS subscription, your best chance of success (having the mileage show up w/o programming) is to get a cluster that matches your vehicle configuration.

So for instance, if your car is 2014 with HUD, you get a 2014 cluster with HUD support. If you do go with a 2016 cluster, provided it's plug & play to 2014/2015, you would most likely need it to be programmed to function correctly.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts