Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what it was but I saw the CTS yesterday on the 17 inch stock rims in the blue gray color and really didn't like it.

Was it the color and the smaller rims that killed the cars looks for me?

I am going to wait a week to see the car with the high polished rims in another color to decide what car to get.

I was curious if anyone else was disapponted with the car on the stock 17 inch non polished rims and in a color like that blue gray.. ?

What is with that color?

BTW...it was a cloudy morning so maybe that was part of it too..

Next week I'll check out a car in a different color and with different rims.

Sorry to ask such a question and not meant as a flame to anyone or the car.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ...I'll wait the week...the wife is now considering a Mercedes AWD ....

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS
312 Posts
I don't know what it was but I saw the CTS yesterday on the 17 inch stock rims in the blue gray color and really didn't like it.

Was it the color and the smaller rims that killed the cars looks for me?

I am going to wait a week to see the car with the high polished rims in another color to decide what car to get.

I was curious if anyone else was disapponted with the car on the stock 17 inch non polished rims and in a color like that blue gray.. ?

What is with that color?

BTW...it was a cloudy morning so maybe that was part of it too..

Next week I'll check out a car in a different color and with different rims.

Sorry to ask such a question and not meant as a flame to anyone or the car.

Yeah the 17in's are kind of weak. I will go 18in too. As the other member said, you can't get the HID's with the 17's either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
PBI...Can I ask a potentially dumb question? I don't know a lot about cars.

I contacted my closest dealer and he said it will be next month before they get any CTSs in, that they have a lot on order although I haven't been able to locate anything in the gmbuypower system so I am guessing at least a full month before I get to lay my eyes on one much less drive one.

I have really been going over all the options and trying to figure out what I want, don't want, etc. ITA the 18 inch wheels look a ton better than the 17 inchers and I would like the HIDs also.

BUT...in my mid 30s I am concerned about comfort of ride more so than performance. Am I going to truly notice a difference in comfort between the 2 packages (standard pkg and 17s vs all season tire performance/sport suspension pkg and 18s) enough to warrant staying with the 17s and just buy different 17 inch rims later or will I even notice the difference in comfort if I upgrade the package and get the 18s?

Thanks!
Anna

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
I did a short test drive of a silver '08 CTS with 17" rims here in Ocala, Fl. Don't like the rims at all. The engine was not the DI but was pretty peppy. Waiting to test the DI with 18" rims. I have an '07 Saturn Aura XR that has the same engine and 6 speed trans and nice 18" rims. I liked the CTS better because of the beautiful interior, sound system, memory seats, dual air, and "class". But the cost is 10K more. May still switch.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PBI...Can I ask a potentially dumb question? I don't know a lot about cars.

I contacted my closest dealer and he said it will be next month before they get any CTSs in, that they have a lot on order although I haven't been able to locate anything in the gmbuypower system so I am guessing at least a full month before I get to lay my eyes on one much less drive one.

I have really been going over all the options and trying to figure out what I want, don't want, etc. ITA the 18 inch wheels look a ton better than the 17 inchers and I would like the HIDs also.

BUT...in my mid 30s I am concerned about comfort of ride more so than performance. Am I going to truly notice a difference in comfort between the 2 packages (standard pkg and 17s vs all season tire performance/sport suspension pkg and 18s) enough to warrant staying with the 17s and just buy different 17 inch rims later or will I even notice the difference in comfort if I upgrade the package and get the 18s?

Thanks!
Anna
Anna,

The ride on the 18 inch rims is equal to the 17 inch rims. I personally need to see the car on 18 inch rims because on 17 inch rims..the wheels look too small for the space in the fenderwell.

I'm hoping the 18's do the trick and will wait until I see the car with the high polished 18 inch rims to decide whether or not to buy the car for my wife.

Hopefully this week the car will come into a dealership with the larger wheels.

Hope this helps.

JB

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS
312 Posts
Anna,

The ride on the 18 inch rims is equal to the 17 inch rims. I personally need to see the car on 18 inch rims because on 17 inch rims..the wheels look too small for the space in the fenderwell.

I'm hoping the 18's do the trick and will wait until I see the car with the high polished 18 inch rims to decide whether or not to buy the car for my wife.

Hopefully this week the car will come into a dealership with the larger wheels.

Hope this helps.

JB
So did you ever take the trip to Gold Coast yesterday? Just curious....

I called up 4 dealers on Friday to see if anyone had them and nothing doing. Answers ranged from "any day now" to "3-4 weeks" to "a month or two"

Ugh, getting impatient!!!

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
Anna,

The ride on the 18 inch rims is equal to the 17 inch rims.

Hope this helps.

JB
I disagree, but she should drive both, because the difference is not huge. Lower profile tires on the 18" rims will not ride as smoothly, unless you drive with low air pressure, which will negate any handling advantage and hurt mpg. The springs are the same, but the 18" performance suspensions have firmer shock damping and thicker anti-roll bars (I forget about bushings). I wish they had an option for the Cadillac ride of old; we may have to wait a few years for Magnaride on the CTS.

I personally prefer that my wheels not compete with my car in eye-catchiness, but I'm deliberately unfashionable (and a cheapskate).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disagree, but she should drive both, because the difference is not huge. Lower profile tires on the 18" rims will not ride as smoothly, unless you drive with low air pressure, which will negate any handling advantage and hurt mpg. The springs are the same, but the 18" performance suspensions have firmer shock damping and thicker anti-roll bars (I forget about bushings). I wish they had an option for the Cadillac ride of old; we may have to wait a few years for Magnaride on the CTS.

I personally prefer that my wheels not compete with my car in eye-catchiness, but I'm deliberately unfashionable (and a cheapskate).
Normally I would agree with you except I recently drove the Buick Enclave with 18's and then again with 19's and believe it or not the 19 inch wheel tire option rode nicer.. (goes against all logic? /I know)

Could be that the cadillac is not as advanced as the Buick brands latest efforts but I hope thats not the case..

Today I went back to the cadillac dealer to see the cars again even though they had 17's instead of the 18's and guess what? The cars looked awesome .

The cars looked good so the key would be for the buyer to chose the look they like..

I don't know what was different today ...I really don't have a clue.... .Maybe the sun was shinning? . ... maybe they had time to prep the cars better?

Both cars Really looked good no matter what rims you chose...

I'll still go with the 18's as I like that better. (yet it wouldn't be terrible if I got the car with 17's though...they looked pretty good)

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
The Lambda reviews I read all said the 19s were noticably harder riding than the 18s. But ride, like beauty, is the backside of the beholder.

When I test drove an Intrigue before buying one in 98, I was certain it was modified somehow, because the model I ended up buying drove like it had square wheels. Wish I'd taken it back instead of keeping it 8 years and hating it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tire technology is amazing these days.

I believe 18 inch rims especially with the sidewall size on them is definitely directed towards a smooth silky ride....

I was quite surprised at the sidewall height 235/50/18.

The 50 is a tall aspect ratio in todays marketplace really designed to meet the luxury ride expectations of past cadillacs....

Quite frankly if you check other luxury brands such as Mercedes or Lexus they run much lower aspect ratios and I believe the show car CTS had 19 inch 35 or 40 aspect ratio 19s

If it was available I would have bought the lower aspect ratio 19's and the aftermarket will quickly catch up and have them available. I believe GM is aware of this as well and will in the future offer 19 inch rms too for the CTS.

To answer your question.

I expect the 18 inch wheel combo on the cadillac to be smooth and quiet.

If in doubt I would imagine simply test driving the STS 18 inch tire package vs. the 17 inch equipped vehicle would give good insight to the ride and handling of the new CTS.

I was half tempted to go with the stock 17's and then go aftermarket but the tire sensors make the swap a pain.

Traditionally runflat tires have a history of a harder ride because of their stiffer sidewall and heavier unsprung weight but even that has been addressed lately with the 50 mile runflat capability versus the original 200 mile runflat GM edict.

To further discuss I believe part of BMW's harsher ride is in greatest part due to its RUNFLAT TIRES being used. (not aspect ratio)

Does the CTS use runflat tires? I can't remember

HTH

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a heads up. I saw the cadillac CTS with the 17 inch rims again today and you are correct. It does look good. The wife would have been happy with it. That said I still want the Y42/J55 option. I saw the multipaint process on the 18 inch rims today and I liked it.

Sorry if I caused anyone any distress. The 17 inch rims looked pretty dam good. (very good in fact)

I guess I just like the idea of the sport suspension with the 18's.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's opinions regarding the 17s vs 18s. I will drive them both but I have a feeling I am such a car novice that I won't really be able to notice any difference. Might have to let DH figure out which one he likes best.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd also like to mention that having the dealers call me when the cars arrived but not cleaned up was a mistake on both our parts.

I packed the wife and child in the car and after a nice lunch we shot over to the second dealership and the cars where a mess in the back lot..

My wife was able to see the beauty through the dirt...and oil grime etc. but believe it or not..I couldn't.

The third dealership we stopped by yesterday also had the cadillac in Ridgewood. They had the black CTS all shined up in front of the dealership.

It was hot and had the 17 inch road tires..(17 inch machined ? rims)

In was interesting how the wide stance of the vehicle was accented..

Like I said..I'm going for the 18 inch FE2 sport suspension (Y42) because I like the idea of a slightly taught yet luxurious ride ...

I was surprised the J55 was a mandatory option though...(not a big deal and in some ways I was glad, it was just surprising) :lol:

Looked great both ways.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't realize you wanted more photos.

I don't believe the photos do the car justice.

Its even more beautiful in person.

Really a vehicle that looks much better than even the very nice photos I've seen to date.

This car is a real winner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anna-
I've driven both the 17 inch wheel & tire package and the 18 inch package for hundreds of miles. There really is no ride penalty with the 18 inch package, especially if you get the all-season tires with the 18s.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts