Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its an obvious issue with the stock 22s they offer. Thats what we see when cadi settles for the lowest bidder to supply their wheels. But is there anyway to "stop the bleeding" so to speak. Does anyone have any idea how to stop this peeling before it gets to the point of no return? I can take the steel brush to the inside of the wheel, but eventually it will spread and just ruin the look of them. There has to be something on the market to coat the wheels to stop the issue from getting worse.

any ideas?

·
Registered
Escalade
14 Posts
Mine are doing the same thing, I was going to clean them good and put some clear coat on the inside of the wheel where the peal started in hopes of sealing it to prevent it from getting worse but I waited to long

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Haven't noticed this on my 22s, and the wheels (not the truck, as they came off our other '07) spent their whole life in Kansas. For what it's worth, my LS430 wheels weren't even chromed and they had peeling too.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your 24s are probably alot better quality. Any stock wheels that are chrome im sure will peel eventually. Its just heart breaking to have such a nice looking truck to have the wheels peel. I think the one guy was on the right track with the clear coat. There has to be something out there that you can apply to the wheel that will stop the peeling from getting worse. For the inside of the wheel im wondering if I can just brush the loose chrome off and spray an industrial strength primer on it. But at certain angles the insides of the rim is visible so a nasty primer may not look too good lol, Then again, The inside is what really blisters up the most so your either gonna see acne on the wheels or a flat color that may look a litle matte.

I dont care too much about the inside but if you look close enough you may see the ends of the spokes (near the bead) start to bubble. ONce it crosses that line the whole rims are trash. Not to mention it looks like junk when the face of the rim is peeling, but when the peeling starts in and around the bead and breaks the seal , youll walk out of your house to a flat tire eventually. Like i said earlier, may have to use the 22s as winter tires and upgrade for the warm months. theres money I dont wanna spend lol.

sorry about the rant lol.

·
Registered
Escalade
98 Posts
my wheels are not peeling much on the face of the wheel but my beads are still leaking (peeling at the bead)... once the wheels start your ****ed.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Geez, if it's really this bad then I may just sell my wheels and tires and buy an aftermarket set of black rims. To tell the truth, these wheels are WAY too common because they've been using them every single year since day one, and it's a little boring to see every single Escalade out there short of the Platinums and the few base models with these things. In fact, maybe I'd get the Platinum wheels, they're popping up on Ebay now.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
Geez, if it's really this bad then I may just sell my wheels and tires and buy an aftermarket set of black rims. To tell the truth, these wheels are WAY too common because they've been using them every single year since day one, and it's a little boring to see every single Escalade out there short of the Platinums and the few base models with these things. In fact, maybe I'd get the Platinum wheels, they're popping up on Ebay now.
I have a 2010 Platinum Escalade and I have 2 of my wheels replaced due to rust. I would not advise getting them. They are no better, just a different design. What I recommend to you and the OP is to get a set of custom wheels and call it a day. Dayton wire wheels triple chrome plates their wheels and give you a life time guarantee. Try not to laugh, but if gm did such a thing I would not mind paying a extra 3000 on top of the price of the vehicle just to ensure that my wheels dont start peeling in the first year of ownership.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I have a 2010 Platinum Escalade and I have 2 of my wheels replaced due to rust. I would not advise getting them. They are no better, just a different design. What I recommend to you and the OP is to get a set of custom wheels and call it a day. Dayton wire wheels triple chrome plates their wheels and give you a life time guarantee. Try not to laugh, but if gm did such a thing I would not mind paying a extra 3000 on top of the price of the vehicle just to ensure that my wheels dont start peeling in the first year of ownership.
Dammit, that sucks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts