Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a strange question... Every once in a while, if I start the car in just the right circumstances, the headlights will come on and the interior lighting will go dim even when lighting conditions outside don't really necessitate it. It generally happens late in the day, but still a couple/few hours before sunset. The combination of tall trees blocking the sun and just the general positioning of the sun in the sky relative to the car means that the sensor never gets hit with enough light long enough to turn off the lights. It's particularly annoying when the sunlight is coming from the side or rear and washes out the (dimmed) radio/nav display so you can hardly read it.

I suppose I could try shining a flashlight at the sensor (it's the little red thing on the dash, right?), but I keep my flashlight in the trunk so I've never had it handy when this has happened. Is there any other way to get the sensor to reset itself?

·
Registered
2011 Thunder Gray Chromaflair CTS-V coupe
605 Posts
...or, after starting the car, drive away from the trees and, assuming it is light enough outside, the lights will go off......

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Platinum CTS-V
446 Posts
The little red thing on the dash is for syncing a PDA with your radio. The light sensor is on top of the dash where the windshield meets it.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
move the headlight switch from auto, to off...
No shit? :rolleyes: I know how to turn the lights off. My question is if there's a way to reset the Auto function while the car is on. Turning the lights off and then back to Auto doesn't fix the issue when the sun is still behind the car and thus doesn't hit the sensor.

...or, after starting the car, drive away from the trees and, assuming it is light enough outside, the lights will go off......

Mike
I wouldn't be asking the question if that was the case. As I said, "The combination of tall trees blocking the sun and just the general positioning of the sun in the sky relative to the car means that the sensor never gets hit with enough light long enough to turn off the lights." The sun is still clearly up the sky, but is behind or beside the car for my entire transit such that it doesn't trigger the sensor to turn off the lights.

The light sensor is on top of the dash where the windshield meets it.
Yeah, that's the one I meant, the little red dome by the windshield. Honestly, I had forgotten that red window on the dash was even there, since I've never had any inclination to sync a PDA with the car.

·
Registered
2006 Infrared CTS-V
821 Posts
I believe nikon meant turn the swith to off and leave it off untill you want them on again. Other than that I do not think there is a way to change at what light level they come on at if that is your question. I believe it is auto or manual no other choices.

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
I believe nikon meant turn the swith to off and leave it off untill you want them on again. Other than that I do not think there is a way to change at what light level they come on at if that is your question. I believe it is auto or manual no other choices.
Yes that is what he meant. OP this thread is stupid, just turn off your headlights manually if it bothers you that much. :thepan:

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe nikon meant turn the swith to off and leave it off untill you want them on again.
I know that's what he meant, which is why I responded with the :rolleyes:. It's blindingly obvious that there's an OFF position on the switch. I wasn't asking how to turn off the lights, I was asking if you can reset the sensor while you're driving. I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to acknowledge his reply - he's not a Supporting Member, and thus is not worthy of my time, right?! ;)

Other than that I do not think there is a way to change at what light level they come on at if that is your question. I believe it is auto or manual no other choices.
Thanks!

Yes that is what he meant.
See above.

OP this thread is stupid,
As is your unproductive reply.

... just turn off your headlights manually if it bothers you that much. :thepan:
At what point did I say that's not what I do already? I asked the question because I was curious. That's it. If the answer is that there's no way to reset it, then that's the answer, and life goes on.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
19 Posts
In all honestly I would never put a HID light in a car in an automatic on/off mode for this very reason. Drive through a long tunnel and the sensor turns them on, come out and after a few seconds the sensor turns them off...this is very bad for the heat cycle of a HID ballast and light itself! In my buisness there is a reason we spec daylight sensors to be mounted facing a certain direction and not within a certain distance of artificial light and tree lines. Granted yes it will not happen all the time but it will happen some of the time. This can and will most likely reduce the life of the ballast and the light itself....not cheap to replace! Just leave the ligh in the off position and when the DIC tells you that headlights are suggested...turn it on, simple fix.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There is no way to "reset" or adjust the light sensor.
It reports light levels to a computer via a voltage signal, when that signal reaches a threshold the lights will switch. As we all know there is a time delay but no, it is not controllable in any way, shape, or form.
Sorry.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
In all honestly I would never put a HID light in a car in an automatic on/off mode for this very reason. Drive through a long tunnel and the sensor turns them on, come out and after a few seconds the sensor turns them off...this is very bad for the heat cycle of a HID ballast and light itself! In my buisness there is a reason we spec daylight sensors to be mounted facing a certain direction and not within a certain distance of artificial light and tree lines. Granted yes it will not happen all the time but it will happen some of the time. This can and will most likely reduce the life of the ballast and the light itself....not cheap to replace! Just leave the ligh in the off position and when the DIC tells you that headlights are suggested...turn it on, simple fix.
exactly. I use fogs only for very short night trips as well to avoid a quick on/off cycle.

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
lol...everybody knew what I meant!!! :lol:

Honestly though, I gave up on auto headlights a long time ago, now If I could only find a way to turn off the damn suggestions on the nav screen.

And I used to be a supporting member so....does that count?? :)

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly though, I gave up on auto headlights a long time ago, now If I could only find a way to turn off the damn suggestions on the nav screen.
No kidding. I work on a Naval base so every morning going through the gate I have to turn off the lights. Of course, the friendly nav screen has to tell me I should still have my lights on. :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind if the warning would disappear on its own after a few seconds, but it doesn't. Stupid.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
435 Posts
No kidding. I work on a Naval base so every morning going through the gate I have to turn off the lights. Of course, the friendly nav screen has to tell me I should still have my lights on. :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind if the warning would disappear on its own after a few seconds, but it doesn't. Stupid.
My favorite message is when I get into my car at 3am in the morning to go to work, its 15 degrees out, and I get a message "Ice Possible". Really? Its possible? Its 15 degrees! :thepan:

I love this car, however its notification system leaves something to be desired at times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back to delay situation. In Switzerland lights must be on all the time. As I don't want to spend half a day removing my bumper to Chang a bulb, I drive with only fog lights on and it seems that the police don't mind. Problem is all the tunnels and Swiss law which requires head lights to be on when passing through. The censor I believe is reacting right away but no lights until after around 15 seconds. Is it not possible that there is a computer set-up service level where this delay time could be changed?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,921 Posts
Please read Post #10. ewill3rd, a currently inactive CF member, is a dealership Cadillac service technician just below Washington, DC.

The on/off delays are built-in to the headlight switching and control systems. Especially if the car uses HID lighting, due to the required bulb startup times.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
369 Posts
Back to delay situation. In Switzerland lights must be on all the time. As I don't want to spend half a day removing my bumper to Chang a bulb, I drive with only fog lights on and it seems that the police don't mind. Problem is all the tunnels and Swiss law which requires head lights to be on when passing through. The censor I believe is reacting right away but no lights until after around 15 seconds. Is it not possible that there is a computer set-up service level where this delay time could be changed?
The bulbs last a really long time. You can change to an LED style if you like, but you probably won't kill a d1s bulb running with them on full time. I run with my lights on constantly here in the UAE and I'm at 3 years now with the bulbs in my headlights.

The retrofit source sells great LED stuff, but you will have to call them in the USA to order with an international card.

-Byron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts