Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 SRX Directional aka "Metronome" The are annoyingly LOUD compared to any other vehicle I've owned in the past 30 years. What gives? The only solution is to cover over the Left Bose Speaker, but there goes you Music.... Any adjustment available?

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
I didn't realize the directional click came from the speaker.

Regardless, a minor issue indeed. Perhaps Cadillac assumes that by the time we're old enough to afford an SRX, we're half deaf. Never noticed it on my car.

On an unrelated issue, I think the SRX sound system is mediocre at best, especially for Bose.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
I'd always thought Bose was supposed to be 'one, if not the best' for sound quality. My eight speaker system is 'so-so' at best. Front windshield speakers sound like the transistor radio I had as a kid in the '60s.

(Also, the clicking from my directional is definitely not coming from any of my speakers.)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have a 2010, listen to one in a 2013..... Front Left above Dash Bose Speaker is where the sound comes from.

·
Registered
2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone
296 Posts
I'd always thought Bose was supposed to be 'one, if not the best' for sound quality.
Bose, like Apple, is over-rated.

I think the turn signal click in my '13 is about normal volume compared to almost every other car I've driven. Some are quieter than our SRX, but not many.

If anything needs re-programming, it is the delay time for the auto headlamps to prevent firing up the HIDs every time I pull into the garage or start up IN the garage. I'd settle for a NON-MOMENTARY OFF switch (WTH is with that?). But if Cadillac / GM is insistent that you are not permitted to turn OFF the headlights PERMANENTLY, they at least could provide an adjustable delay on the auto-headlight trigger. I mean, how many times does the ambient daylight brightness go from "sunset" to midnight in a matter of seconds that it needs to IMMEDIATELY turn ON the headlights? A 30 second delay, or "integration period" would be sufficient.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
On mine, I can just turn the headlight dial to the left once and the DIC reads "auto headlights off". This will leave turn the headlights off 'permanently', as well as the DRLs.

Another click to the left and the DIC reads "auto headlights on".

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
On mine, I can just turn the headlight dial to the left once and the DIC reads "auto headlights off". This will leave turn the headlights off 'permanently', as well as the DRLs.

Another click to the left and the DIC reads "auto headlights on".
Yes but the point is that you are not able to keep the HID lights from firing on in the garage in the morning or from firing on in the garage in the evening when its not dark enough outside to trigger the lights but is in the garage. That is cutting into their life. Fine for leasers, but for someone planning on keeping for longer, adding to bulb expense, especially considering bumper cover removal is recommended to change these.

I am convinced it is by design to add to GM parts and dealer coffers.

Ha! my old post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/279295-disable-auto-headlights-when-parked-garage.html

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Yes but the point is that you are not able to keep the HID lights from firing on in the garage in the morning or from firing on in the garage in the evening when its not dark enough outside to trigger the lights but is in the garage. That is cutting into their life. Fine for leasers, but for someone planning on keeping for longer, adding to bulb expense, especially considering bumper cover removal is recommended to change these.

I am convinced it is by design to add to GM parts and dealer coffers.

Ha! my old post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/279295-disable-auto-headlights-when-parked-garage.html
Take a good dose of Miralax and renounce the anal retentive stuff. You'll be a lot happier.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No way is this the same as other vehicles. Possibly there is a setting for volume somewhere? The escalade is a whisper compared to this...

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
I stand corrected, adamjeeps. I checked and the rights default to 'auto' each ignition cycle. Personally, I find it convenient to just leave it at auto, although I imagine this does indeed shorten bulb life. Never really gave it much thought......

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I stand corrected, adamjeeps. I checked and the rights default to 'auto' each ignition cycle. Personally, I find it convenient to just leave it at auto, although I imagine this does indeed shorten bulb life. Never really gave it much thought......
Ha yeah it's just one of those things where the car thinks it's smarter than the driver. Most other non GM vehicles have a hard off position on the headlight switch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
Years ago I had a car where you couldn't hear the turn signal when it was engaged. I ended up replacing the plug in module with one that made enough noise for me to easily hear. I am one of the few drivers that always uses turn signals. On that particular car if for some reason the turn signal didn't self cancel I would end up driving with it still flashing. I found this to be very annoying. So I am not a fan of whisper quiet turn signals.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did the same on a 75 Olds Cutlass Salon. It was a Mechanical Relay under the dash. Unplug the old, install the new. On the SRX it is pure Generated WAV File Sound from the Left Bose Speaker. Put you hand over it, and it will quiet down.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Didn't GM used to use self cancelling turn signals that would turn off automatically after five minutes or so?

·
Registered
2011 SRX (Mocha Steel); 2008 SRX (Gold Mist)
141 Posts
I seem to remember several times where the turn signal did not cancel or I put it on too early and a louder chime and a message came up in the DIC to alert me of the fact.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
Although I've never tested it, my manual says the DIC will alert me if a turn signal is on too long. If my radio is on and the airco is blowing, the directional is virtually inaudible.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
In the Escalade the volume of the turn signals can be adjusted; could be the same on the SRX? I adjusted this volume on my Escalade and it became very loud, too much so for my liking but should help a lot for those who have a hard time hearing.

I just looked it up, Section 5-43 of your owners manual gives instructions for your vehicle personalization settings where you can adjust the chime volume.

If you don't have the owners manual, Google it and you will find the Cadillac website where you can choose your vehicle model and year and you will find the complete owners manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts