Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Sedan Black Raven M6; '14 Sedan Phantom Gray A6 Graphite
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if there are any upgrade options for the nav unit, either 3rd party or GM. Not talking about a simple map update or trying to fit the guts and personality of Cue in the space and hardware we now have,... I dislike Cue almost as much as I dislike our dated units. Just wondering if there were any modern software rewrites out there. Sorta like going from an ancient Android 1.1 straight to the current Android 5.1 Lollopop on our phones! I've heard of this before in an article sometime back,... I think maybe it was Ford with their MS operating system.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,171 Posts
Nada. A 9 mm might help these things they are so bad.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No real issues with mine either jimsho,... other than it's just sooo darned outdated. Went to the liquor store to refresh between March Madness games this past Saturday and my friend did the driving,... Taurus with the Sync system. Whoa! Compared to our system, it made me feel like I was still using computer punch cards. And I've heard Sync has tons of problems, and I still felt that way. Couple weeks back I took my 2014 in to get a couple recalls addressed, fluids topped and changed and a four wheel alignment. They put me in an SRX with ALL the Que features,... it's got it's problems, but compared to what's in my 09 and 14 V2's, it was a pleasure to explore and use. Still searching to see if anyone has hacked what we have and wrote a new OS for the hardware. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
heavymetals has developed a computer navi system for the V1 and has made inklings he'd experiment with V2s if he had a volunteer. PM him and get his thoughts...

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
My 2014 NAV is pretty much the exact same at the 2009. It was disappointing that they did not upgrade anything on the final run of sedans.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,171 Posts
It was disappointing that they did not upgrade anything on the final run of sedans.
Agreed, but since that was the last use of that obsolete system and CUE was on the way I can understand.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, but since that was the last use of that obsolete system and CUE was on the way I can understand.
I hear ya tinman. TBH, I'm ok with the hardware. I mean I wished there was a secondary way to interface with it,... reaching to touch while driving gets old. A cursor wheel would have been so much better. But it's just puzzling why GM didn't upgrade the operating system along the way from '09 to '14. Aside from the few OnStar updates,... my 09 doesn't work with the Onstar app and a few other small features whereas my 14 does, everything is the same. Just write an updated OP with updated features that the existing hardware can embrace,... Jeez! LOL!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heavymetals has developed a computer navi system for the V1 and has made inklings he'd experiment with V2s if he had a volunteer. PM him and get his thoughts...
Hahaha! He can experiment on my '09 all day long bro!

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
I used mine to get to Sonoma and back to Vegas this weekend, no problems here. I also used it to find a house in Sonoma when we needed to go on a parts run (a very fast parts run), found it with no issues. I also did the map update disc last year so its map data is reasonably up to date.

No argument that Cue is light years ahead of our V2 systems, it really is. The MyLink system in my gf's Stingray is pretty incredible too. But that's just progress. Our systems are pretty old at this point but in my experience on many road trips, it still works fine. I used Waze on my iPhone for traffic-aware navigation simultaneously, so I was able to route around a couple pretty bad accidents on the freeway by taking surface streets, but I still used the V's nav as my primary.

This is where CarPlay would come in nicely. You would be able to run Waze or even just google or apple maps on your in-dash screen, which really is the best of both worlds. But until then I really have no problems with our built in nav, in terms of basic functionality.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
831 Posts
The GPS in late model smart phones is better than what is offered in all but the newest cars, and on top of it all has the ability to stay updated. NAV is a waste of money for what they charge as an option as a car, they need to push towards integration with phones (some cars have this) or offer year software and hardware updates as needed for the life of the car. Most Garmen stand alone systems are also way better than anyting onboard.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
The GPS in late model smart phones is better than what is offered in all but the newest cars, and on top of it all has the ability to stay updated. NAV is a waste of money for what they charge as an option as a car, they need to push towards integration with phones (some cars have this) or offer year software and hardware updates as needed for the life of the car. Most Garmen stand alone systems are also way better than anyting onboard.
Except you look like a cheap goofball if you attach one to your dash/windshield in your V...

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
I have the new cue system in my 2014 SRX and the old system in my 2013 CTS-V. It doesn't bother me as far as which system I use.
I also have the seat that buzzes, if I go out of my lane and the mirrors that warn you if another car is along side and the windshield display if I'm approaching a car in front too fast, in the SRX. I don't miss having any of that stuff when I'm driving the CTS-V.

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
One thing from the new Caddys that I would love in my V2 is adaptive cruise control. Man, you use that a couple times and it's hard to go back to normal cruise. I don't really care about the lane change warning stuff.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac + 2011 Shelby GT500
17 Posts
Agreed. I love the fact I can keep the factory Nav hidden. I hang my Note 3 off the windshield for Waze and yav1. Might look tacky, but Waze is great for sniffing out speed traps.

Chris

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
I use my nav system all the time and don't understand all the whining. All of you knew you were buying 2008 technology, so it's on you if you're disappointed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use my nav system all the time and don't understand all the whining. All of you knew you were buying 2008 technology, so it's on you if you're disappointed.
JFJr has a point. One of the first things I noticed when I picked up my '14 was that there was little difference in the entire car,... including the Nav unit.In fact, the first difference that hit me in the face between the first MY and the last MY for the V2 sedan was that the V emblem jumped from the left side to the right side on the boot! LOL! Picked up on lots of other differences as the days after delivery added up tho.

But I wasn't complaining, or whining as JFJr puts it, about the unit at the time of purchase. My whining was about how no one at GM thought to put any effort into a software system upgrade. I did find out in my research since starting this thread that unlike the V1 units, our units are nearly 100% software driven. Relying much less on static firmware coding when it comes to features and capabilities. And the hardware is highly capable of doing much more than what appears, in fact, our units are severely crippled by the OP software installed. Wouldn't have taken much to re-write a few lines of code and freshen things up a bit. Maybe GM thought that might get in the way of their CUE launch,... who knows.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Screw it, let's ride!

·
Registered
SOLD
228 Posts
These units should be in a museum.
The processor was released in 2004; and they still use the same one in every unit. As for the software (WinCE5/Automotive) that was released in 2005.
All the units are the same all hardware was manufactured in 2004/2005.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
They will be in a museum. These cars are special.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts