Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
pop your hood, look down by them and you will see they are held by two clips. long needle nose pliers will get to them so you don't break the clips... (i broke one of mine and just used some double sided tape when I put it back on and it's all good)

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
I have not removed mine, but I understand the inner tab is difficult to remove.

ive looked at it in preparation of removal and it looks as the the tab closet to the firewall will be difficult to remove... i havent attempted it yet, but planned to post pics, etc, when i do.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those leads. That's all I needed to decide. So here's what I did. Trying to save the clips is a lost cause of part and time (at least to me). So I just broke off the close clip to see if it loosened things up. It did not. So I took the wood handle end of my rubber hammer and pried it from the inside to see if I could get it to move. With some decent pressure, it starts to move. It looked like glue was trying to separate from the fender, but it turns out its tape. Since the fender was moving a bit, I took a long snap off knife and cut the tape carefully as I pried. Then I just sacrificed the back clip and pulled it all off. Suffice it to say clips are not robust, but the double sided tape sure is. Its the 3M variety from auto parts stores that holds all the chrome emblems on cars. So I don't need to save the clips, the tape will do the job. I will have to grind off the stakes holding the black plastic mess on before treating for special paint. Once painted (to match wheel paint in progress) then I will chrome the center strip (chrome wrap foil) and put all back together. I will probably put on one safety wire to hold in the rare event the tape would get loose. Don't want that coming off while on track. Will post pics in future.

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
for future reference, the best way to remove things stuck on with that double sided stuff is 1. to heat it with a heat gun, assuming the part is metal and can stand heat, which the side vents are... or 2, dental floss. it cuts right through...

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,557 Posts
for future reference, the best way to remove things stuck on with that double sided stuff is 1. to heat it with a heat gun, assuming the part is metal and can stand heat, which the side vents are... or 2, dental floss. it cuts right through...
A heat gun in the wrong hands will damage your paint. I use my wife's hair dryer on high. Not as hot and safe on paint.
Paul

Reactions: Masterwkndwarrior

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
A heat gun in the wrong hands will damage your paint. I use my wife's hair dryer on high. Not as hot and safe on paint.
Paul
good point and true as well...

heat guns are, uhm, hot.

and dont lie... its YOUR hairdryer... isnt it?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,557 Posts
(ahh, yeah).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts