Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might soon be learning how to ride a suzuki Katana 600 and i was wondering if anyone here rides. If you do, what kinda bike is it, and do you have any tips or stories?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I can't believe you posted this. I could form the biggest thread ever posted here by talking bikes. I'm gonna be 45 next year, started riding when I was 10, rode, raced, repaired, and built virtually every type of bike you can think of. Bikes were my LIFE until an unfortunate accident in '94 caused me to give up the motorcycle world. I'd still ride but it wouldn't be fair to my wife who stood by me for a long time through my hospital stay and rehab. She went through hell and no matter how much I love bikes and riding, I couldn't put her through that again.
At the time of my accident, I had a modified Katana 1100, Yamaha XT500 enduro, 3 Kawasaki H1 500's and a couple small dirt bikes.
The Katana 1100 was my "dream bike" that I spent YEARS dreaming about. I finally decided to "go for it" in '90 and couldn't get enough of it right up until I dropped it off at my freind's dealership for him to sell for me (there was NO WAY I could sell it myself).
The Katana 600 is a great bike, you should have a great time with it if you have the maturity (and experience) to handle it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i'd love to hear any stories you got, you always got something usfull to say, even if its not what someone wants to hear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
DeVillish said:
I might soon be learning how to ride a suzuki Katana 600 and i was wondering if anyone here rides. If you do, what kinda bike is it, and do you have any tips or stories?
Katana 600 has the sport bike look without the radical streched over the tank riding position. Its a very good bike to start out with, comfortable, and pretty easy to handle. If you have never riden before I would reccomend you take a rider safety course in your area. It is very informative and if you pass the instructors are certified to give you your motorcycle licence, so you don't have to take a road test at the DMV. I personally ride a Yamaha R6, but I didn't get to ride it too much this year due to the lousy weather we had here in New York this summer.

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
521 Posts
I almost bought an R6 this summer after a friend took me on his bike after promising my mother I would never get one. I loved it. I can see why people become fearless. But I got scared and didn't get it. Last night I was driving home on a parkway. About 20 guys on bikes were flying between the cars. I got so excited my foot was shaking on the gas pedal (I'm censoring this). One nutjob pulled up next to me doing a wheelie, but standing. I don't know what this is called, but the guy lost control of the bike and almost fell doing like 85.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont own sandles and rarly wear shorts so that wont be a problem. I went to sportbike.com and theres alot of guys, and girls, in my area on that forum so thats cool. Iam gona take that MSF safe rider course too.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
857 Posts
I love bikes...but mostly Harleys. My hubbys son came down from Jersey to visit and he brought his BMW bike...nice looking bike, even took me for a ride. Quick..very quick. But I guess I would rather sit back & enjoy the ride than go fast.That is where a nice Harley comes in to play. Bikes are dangerous..but mostly because you hafta drive extremely defensive. People don't even see bikes half the time or they are too old be driving or are just plain idiots. So if you do get one..be careful!

·
Registered
2014 CTS V sport (Trifecta tune, hold on!)
95 Posts
Prior to having kids, I rode quite a bit. Had a Yamaha Daytona Special (RD400) then a Kawasaki KZ750. Rode for about 10 years with only one fall (low speed turn on freshly graveled/sealed country road). No injuries. I would also echo the recommendation to take a motorcyle foundation safety course. Lot's of good tips and habits to get into in a safe environment. Might even get a discount on your insurance. Above all else though, BE CAREFUL.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
"...Had a Yamaha Daytona Special (RD400)...."
NICE! VERY NICE!
My first brand new bike was a '77 RD400. God I loved those old 2-strokes. I rode RDs, A7s, H1s, H2s for years before finally getting my first 4-stroke (a Honda 750F). I loved the handling of the RDs and the torque of the 2-strokes in general (love them wheelies).

·
Registered
2014 CTS V sport (Trifecta tune, hold on!)
95 Posts
Yeah, I really enjoyed the Daytona Special. Lot's of power (for its time) in such a light, small motorcycle. I addition to wheelies, you could also do stoppies with it. The front brake was so strong it was all I ever used. Funny thing, saw an original 77 RD400 w/ 14k miles at a collector car showroom this afternoon for $6,750. It's been there for a few months so the price is negotiable I'm sure..........

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
That's funny. I remember trading a car for mine back in '77 and I'm pretty sure the sticker price was around $1200. Doesn't matter anyway since I totalled it a year later down at LBI when a little old lady pulled out in front of me at an intersection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts