Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got my 98 Eldorado set with some nice Flowmaster 40s. They sound fantastic. Not too overly loud, just a nice handsome grumble, and some nice throaty noise when on the gas. Combine that with a nice PCM swap from Northstar Performance and (unconfirmed) I should be sitting on about 335 HP and 340 torque. It's a peppy ride.

But I've been having issues with other guys in their cars trying to hassle me. Just today, I was sitting at a red light, and this guy in a 2020 CTS 4 in front of me was waving his hands around trying to get my attention, and then was pointing at his rearview mirror and giving me a thumbs down. He kept aggresively pointing at his mirror to make sure I was looking the entire minute long red light. I wasn't sure if it was because of the car itself or the sound. I know some pretentious guys think that Caddy's should keep their more silent, stock sound, but I disagree.

The other day I started it up and this kid in a 2020 Mustang pulled up beside me revving his car loudly while laughing at me.

I'm not too bothered, just enough to ask if anyone else that perhaps modified their Caddy's deals with this crap.

I'm just trying to have a nice car with a nice sound, but despite not sounding much louder than your standard pickup truck, it seems to just be drawing the wrong kind of attention.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,659 Posts
I recently got my 98 Eldorado set with some nice Flowmaster 40s. They sound fantastic. Not too overly loud, just a nice handsome grumble, and some nice throaty noise when on the gas. Combine that with a nice PCM swap from Northstar Performance and (unconfirmed) I should be sitting on about 335 HP and 340 torque. It's a peppy ride.

But I've been having issues with other guys in their cars trying to hassle me. Just today, I was sitting at a red light, and this guy in a 2020 CTS 4 in front of me was waving his hands around trying to get my attention, and then was pointing at his rearview mirror and giving me a thumbs down. He kept aggresively pointing at his mirror to make sure I was looking the entire minute long red light. I wasn't sure if it was because of the car itself or the sound. I know some pretentious guys think that Caddy's should keep their more silent, stock sound, but I disagree.

The other day I started it up and this kid in a 2020 Mustang pulled up beside me revving his car loudly while laughing at me.

I'm not too bothered, just enough to ask if anyone else that perhaps modified their Caddy's deals with this crap.

I'm just trying to have a nice car with a nice sound, but despite not sounding much louder than your standard pickup truck, it seems to just be drawing the wrong kind of attention.
=========================
maybe it's YOU - or your driving - attracting attention -
I can't believe that someone in FRONT of you could hear your loud pipes -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
=========================
maybe it's YOU - or your driving - attracting attention -
I can't believe that someone in FRONT of you could hear your loud pipes -

??? We were all going 35 MPH through the middle of town. Even if I wanted to drive like a jerk the roads are far too bumpy for that.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,161 Posts

To answer you question - a Cadillac owner doesn't even have to do any mods to get people acting like jerks...there's always some on the road. So - for the mustang sally guy, just rev you engine, then let him bolt off while you leisurely accelerate. Then at the next light, laugh at him. Or you could just Ignore them and enjoy your ride which will get on their nerves. Many a owner on here mod their ride with louder exhaust. As long as it sounds good is what is important.

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
Well, I gotta admit even as little experience I have around high performance (aka high price) exhaust systems, I can sure tell them from Flow 40es. But for the Cady guy it may be nothing more complicated than that he thought you had a hole in your muffler and severely sullying the Cadillac marque by neglecting repair.

For the Mustang fella, it's impossible to assess what's moving across those people's synapses any given moment.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,385 Posts
Why, yes I have constant problems with other drivers. Any time we move the car out of the garage to go for a drive or lunch many other drivers constantly slow down, honk, block roadways, hound us to pull over so they can look at the car, pose for pictures with it, listen to the engine run, whatever. It's very difficult to drive safely anywhere and the constant heavy traffic around us causes very poor gas mileage. It's such an inconvenience, having a car that everyone must see/hear. We're seriously considering moving up to an old Honda Accord beater in order to avoid worship and adulation. :rolleyes:

For the Mustang drivers at a stoplight you make sure there's a sheriff close by, make eye contact with the Mustang, brake-torque the engine, then look up at the light. Do a quick throttle burp, the Mustang bolts, red and blue lights flash and you go by at 25 mph.

CORSA 13.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the more genuine answers. They're both funny and relieving.

I'm still relatively new to the Caddy scene, and was genuinely wondering if any others had problems with the way others see the older cars, or if it just happened to be me.

I realize this wasn't a technical question and was more of a vanity question, but it was irking me for a little while. I'm still young, so no matter how I try to push it out of my mind, there's a voice in the back of my mind that still forces me to care about how others react to what I do.

No one has to appreciate what I'm driving or even like it, it just seemed odd to me how some people react negatively to seeing or hearing it. Was just wondering if that's just the reputation the cars have, or just a coincidental line of jerks in a row.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,385 Posts
We're jerking your chain. As you get more familiar with the forums and what the members drive you'll come to realize that we ALL have our own stories on "Aw, shit, man/ma'am, that's a neat car". The ultimate vanity trip is to enter a weekend local car show and sit in your lawn chair as visitors drool over your car.

We do quite a few shows here - My STS is hidden in the red cars in front of the Classic Brewery last year - Father's Day Cruise - not as desirable as a 2-tone 1956 Ford Crown Vic.

RF view 2.JPG

·
2002 ETC ECS
21 Posts
Hey DGN, no disrespect. There are a certain few left that enjoy and love our CADDI's. Welcome and enjoy. I also have an interest in upgrading my exhaust, but so hesitant to pull the trigger. I'm looking for a little bit of rumble, just enough to let me know its running and let others know that the V8 still lives, when I step on it. (which I don't do often) Also a little concern about disrupting its originality. I'm so happy the weather is getting better so I can take it out of the garage, maybe this weekend. 409, great looking Father's Day.

·
1997 ETC
25 Posts
Yeah, I've had a few. Most of them have been 3 series BMW drivers (quite a few of those around here- TN). I didn't realize there were other people who had drivers acting like kids around them. The only Cadillac driver I've seen rev/takeoff was a guy in a Raven Black CTS-V, but I'd intentionally slowed down and he noticed that I was checking it out. I've got stock exhaust, but the engine sounds great as it is, so I'd guess that the flowmasters have people wondering about how quick it is. Anybody I'm the luxury car scene knows about the Northstar's power (it out performed most everything else in it's class during production), so I chalk up the BMW guys to wanting to test their new toys against an established, but somewhat slow starting car.
I'm guilty of accepting some of these challenges- what's the point of having a performance engine if you don't let it perform every now and then- and the only thing that I've ever been beaten by was that damn 5.7 hemi dodge has... Keep in mind I've never had any other legit sports cars try, or that list would be longer.
So maybe some are just jerks, but I'm willing to bet a lot of them are wanting to see if your car is as quick as it sounds.

·
1997 ETC
25 Posts
Yeah, I've had a few. Most of them have been 3 series BMW drivers (quite a few of those around here- TN). I didn't realize there were other people who had drivers acting like kids around them. The only Cadillac driver I've seen rev/takeoff was a guy in a Raven Black CTS-V, but I'd intentionally slowed down and he noticed that I was checking it out. I've got stock exhaust, but the engine sounds great as it is, so I'd guess that the flowmasters have people wondering about how quick it is. Anybody I'm the luxury car scene knows about the Northstar's power (it out performed most everything else in it's class during production), so I chalk up the BMW guys to wanting to test their new toys against an established, but somewhat slow starting car.
I'm guilty of accepting some of these challenges- what's the point of having a performance engine if you don't let it perform every now and then- and the only thing that I've ever been beaten by was that damn 5.7 hemi dodge has... Keep in mind I've never had any other legit sports cars try, or that list would be longer.
So maybe some are just jerks, but I'm willing to bet a lot of them are wanting to see if your car is as quick as it sounds.
In*

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
480 Posts
I've never had anything other than pleasant experiences. Where I live in northern NH older domestic cars (mustangs, corvettes, cadillacs etc.) are very common. Often other drivers in older cadillacs wave or give a thumbs up. I have 40 series delta flow flowmasters on my 4.9L Seville and it has a nice throaty growl but it isn't obnoxious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts