Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '14 new in February '15, it had 66 test drive miles on it, and the oil was over a year old as per the build date. At 675 miles I changed the oil myself because the dealer the would not... fine, I'd rather do it myself anyway. I used mobil1 5w30 and a mobil1 filter. Monday I changed the oil and filter again at 5,000 miles, oil life meter said 20% left(never reset it at 675). Poured in 6 quarts of mobil1 0w30 with a new M1 filter and reset oil life to 100%. When I poured the used oil back in the containers, I was only able to fill the 5 qrt jug..... used 1 qrt in 4,325 miles. I don't consider this a lot, but compared to my HHR SS that would only use a few ounces between 5,000 mile oil chances, it's more than expected. I'm a little shocked but not too concerned, I guess I have to get back in the habit of checking the oil level every now and then,LOL.
Hows your oil consumption on your XTS or V-sport? Do you use synthetic oil?

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,696 Posts
6 quarts for 3.6l and 7 quarts for the 3.6 Twin Turbo. Both of those are with filter. Who knows how full it was at 66 miles.

Report back in 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use the Wright oil if the car call for 5 w 30 dexus approved oil used it.
0w30 Mobil 1 is Dexos approved and is listed as an alternate weight in the owners manual.

----------

I think you put to much oil back in vehicle !
Check oil level on dip stick
6 qrts is what the lfx engine takes for a refill with filter change, The oil level is dead on the top mark of the dip stick when hot, sitting on level ground and has been sitting while not running for at least 10 minutes.

----------

6 quarts for 3.6l and 7 quarts for the 3.6 Twin Turbo. Both of those are with filter. Who knows how full it was at 66 miles.

Report back in 5,000 miles.
I changed the oil & filter at 675 miles as I said in my op, I filled it with 6 qrts and 4,325 miles later, I drained out only 5 qrts...and I let it drain for half an hour.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Norm, did you read my last post above? With all due respect, I know wtf I'm doing(retired mechanic). I am asking the owners of The XTS model if they are noticing any oil consumption on their cars. Read the last two sentences of my original post. Both are questions, 1) Hows your oil consumption on your XTS or V-sport? 2) Do you use synthetic oil?

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a matter of fact, I had always poke a hole in my filters because the anti drainback valve doesn't allow you to drain the filter completely. A soaked filter media may hold an ounce or two. I'm telling you Norm, this engine USED a qrt of oil in 4,325 miles. The engine doesn't leak externally, there is no oil in the cooling system, I didn't FORGET to put the last qrt in, I didn't SPILL a qrt when filling, I didn't put a qrt in the transmission, brake master, coolant reservoir, windshield reservoir or the battery. It used a qrt of oil( which really isn't that big of a deal).
Norm, Does you new XTS use any oil? If so, how much? Do you use synthetic? I'm curious for comparison sake only.

·
Registered
99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS
202 Posts
I have 8900 mile on my 13 XTS it doesn't seem to be using that much oil as a quart when changed but on first change the oil filter kept coming loose and leaking on garage floor so they replaced filter and topped off. I like for an engine to use a little oil as long as its not leaking some where. But a quart I don't know.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
I regularly check my oil level and have never been a quart low. However, I go by the DIC and take it in when the oil life is at or near 10%. (premium care maintenance is great, free everything!)

Now my CTS ALWAYS went through a quart (or more) between oil changes and I always kept a quart or two in the trunk just as a precaution; that car had a serious oil consumption issue, which was never addressed. (2008 CTS4 Premium 3.6DI, traded her in two years ago)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
XTS4 Luxury
96 Posts
Wait until it gets broken in around 15,000 miles. Meanwhile use 5w30 and check the oil level with the dipstick.
A quart every 5000 miles is very much within "normal" usage. Ask your dealer- they will tell you that a quart every 1500 miles is considered normal for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Pull your air filter tubing to see if the PVC tube ending in the intake is oily. On my Verano Turbo I disconnected the PVC tube and put a breather filter on it. Higher rpm operating range will pull some extra oil vapor into the intake.

Have you every filled an oil filter before installing it? The smallest oil filter can absorb about 15 oz.

I haven't had my VSport Platinum that long to do an oil change, nor have I made an intake for it.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I regularly check my oil level and have never been a quart low. However, I go by the DIC and take it in when the oil life is at or near 10%. (premium care maintenance is great, free everything!)

Now my CTS ALWAYS went through a quart (or more) between oil changes and I always kept a quart or two in the trunk just as a precaution; that car had a serious oil consumption issue, which was never addressed. (2008 CTS4 Premium 3.6DI, traded her in two years ago)

Hope this helps![/QUOTE
yeah, heard some horror stories or the former 3.6 llt engines drinking oil like a 2 stroke, hopefully the lfx has cured that.

----------

Thanks for your input folks.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another 5,000 miles went by, oil life at 35%. Changed the oil today, engine hot, oil level between the two end dots, low 1 quart. Drained oil and the filter, poured it all into one 5qrt jug, put in 6qrts and filter, hot level between top two dots.
Just a word to the wize ... If you own your XTS and go beyond 5000 miles on your oil change your engine may be LOW on oil. ck and adjust as needed folks.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does it use any?

----------

I think if I went 7k miles it would not touch the stick at all

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'm indicating just off of the rod on the end piece with the cross hatch marks with 40% on oil life.

Have you check your transmission?

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your engine might have a diff dipstick than mine, mine has 5 holes. With 1000 miles since my last oil change the level is still at the top hole(?). Going to check it every 1000 to see what's going on. Thanny oil is good, center of the hash marks, very clean/clear,hard to see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts