Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! New to this forum. Been a cadillac hot rodder for a long time and a car collecter first. Some may know me from the Corvetteforum, but its my first time here. I am big on the Northstar and tune them a little, got one to go 165MPH GPS'd and run mid 13's in my 97 12,000 mile STS. I drive my stock trailering package LT1 96 Whale Brougham every day, but my real love is the Cad 500 and the 80-81 Real Cadillac RWD Broughams that I have worked on so many of years back. As I said I am a car collector, having many rare corvettes, bmws and other interesting 70's to newer cadillacs. My favorite car of all is my 30,000 mile #1 condition all original paint,body, 80 Fleetwood Brougham DeElegance that I transplanted a 500HP 500CID cad engine into. No Really, its true.... I know there are not too many cad hot rodders out there and most cadillac owners will simply turn their noses up at me and will look at me like I'm nuts... Well I really am! especially when I pull up to a corvette in my 80 Brougham that looks stock and pull out a high 12 out of it, bus lengthing most any high end performance car out there. My favorite things are these nuts on these custom choppers and Harleys.. Wow, there is nothing more fun that putting 6-7 car lengths on some guy with an S&S motered, hopped up, loud, thinking he's all that chopper! Come on guys, you should know those things dont run! While I'm into bragging, but seriously,. I do hold 25 years of wrench turning, knuckle grinding experience on early 70's to Northstars... Just dont ask me to talk about a 4100 though as I may come unglued.... I Look forward to meeting any like minded guys out there! We have a handfull of cad nuts in dallas where I live that show and even race anything from a 59 Eldo with a 500, to a blown big block Brougham and many hard running NS cars. We go to shows too, but 25 years of that kind of gets old, so that is why I am here. I would love to hear from others that love #1 condition original cadillacs, but love performace too.

Matt in Dallas

My Home Page

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
I replied to your other post, but welcome again! :D

There are a few of us hotrodders out there. ;)

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Well I'd be a Cad hot rodder if I had any money. I'm looking to swap a 500 into my 78 Fleetwood Brougham next summer or sooner. It would be cool if you'd post what you've done to your 500 to get it pushing 500hp. So far I've only seen 3 real 500 build ups (Jeff Schwartz, http://www.eldocountry.com/HRBC/ , http://www.eldocountry.com/hrmtorque/ ) , so any more info is appreciated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,

I am putting together a web site for the 500 CID Brougham DeElegance. I have had the car for a long time, but the project is new and was finished about a month ago. Will give you all the specs and how to do it too when I am finished.

Matt

davesdeville said:
Well I'd be a Cad hot rodder if I had any money. I'm looking to swap a 500 into my 78 Fleetwood Brougham next summer or sooner. It would be cool if you'd post what you've done to your 500 to get it pushing 500hp. So far I've only seen 3 real 500 build ups (Jeff Schwartz, http://www.eldocountry.com/HRBC/ , http://www.eldocountry.com/hrmtorque/ ) , so any more info is appreciated.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Welcome from another Caddy hot rodder.
Nice collection of cars you have there!! I especially like the '80 Brougham.
My Cad 500 is in the machine shop as we speak. I'll be putting it in my '72 Chevy truck. It's bored .060 over with large chamber heads, lightly ported with bigger valves, 9:1 KB Silv-O-Lite pistons, a Erson cam(284*int., 296*exh., and .519 int. and exh. lift), an Edelbrock intake and a shaft rocker set-up from MTS. I haven't decided on a carb yet.
Most people think the big inch Cads are nothing but boat anchors :rolleyes:....I can't wait to get this thing on the road to show them just how wrong they are.
:burn:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
As I said before (in your other thread) nice cars. Yes there ARE some Cadillac hot rodders out there and some here too. As much as I enjoyed your post here, I feel the need to ask you a question.
You mentioned that you have 25 years experience as a mechanic (opps sorry Tech), so you gotta tell me how the hell an automotive tech manages to afford the collection you have? (can you tell I'm jealous?)
In other words, what the hell did I do wrong?

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Well, I'm squeezing about 410 from my Eldo on the bottle. If I get traction, could probably run a 13.8 or so. 14.1 at 103mph was my run. Roasted all the way through 2nd, car finally dug in once I got to 3rd gear. Damn bald tires.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like the truck! Sounds like it will be a strong "boat anchor"! Al at MTS built my long block and it seems to be a darn good engine so far. Good guy! I went with 11:1 compression and a pretty big comp cam the MTS had custom ground, the Edelbrock, etc...... Good luck on your truck it should run good... Just dont over gear it! Remember that torque wins races... Horsepower sells cars and impresses friends on dyno day.

As far as being a mechanic... I started working on cars in the late 70's and worked on the very year cars I put a 500 in in the early 80's, thus my appreciation for them. I changed to the high tech after that time.. now low tech but proven technology with my age, but have a side shop that I have run for years that works on corvettes for those that can afford it, and some cadillacs for those that cant afford the dealer. I do it as kind of charity for old cads and the friends that know me. I am a mechanic basically by hobby but trained professionally. There is not a month of my life that goes by that I have not done at least major engine project or something worse. I am seriously a glutten for punishment as far as truning wrenches go. The way I look at it, and it worked perfect for me all my life... Once you work on cars and do it right... Everything else in life is a brease.. Simply because nothing else is as hard. The shop supports my hobby. You can see it in the pictures. If I had a chain of them I probably could make a darn good living, but thats not the case. I am probably quite a bit older than most hot rodders too, therefore allowing me to gather more crap over time.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Welcome aboard, Ultra Slow! And thank you for signing up.. It's always good to find new experienced Cadillac owners. :) You have one NICE collection of Caddys there! Yep, I'm jealous! Could you post some of those pictures up in our image section when you get some time?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts