Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing ignition pack for Seville SLS 96. I overtightened the rear bolt on the pack that resulted in getting free. So now the rear bolt is free for one of the ignition pack. Any advice. I was thinking to put a slightly thicker bolt.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ranger,

That is correct. It stripped the thread inside the hole. I donot know what to do now. The bolt is loose.

Thanks
John

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,116 Posts
Remove the ignition pack and either drill out the hole and re-tap it for the next size larger bolt, or, if you have room and want to use the same bolt, buy a Heli-coil kit of the proper size. Instructions included. (Be very careful that you do not drill completely through the cam cover.)

Heli-coils are fine for occasional non-critical bolt hole repair. They ARE NOT satisfactory for head bolt or main bearing bolt repair in an aluminum block under any circimstances.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Ranger and Submariner 409. I will go to Home Depot and try to find Heli-coils or self tapping screw.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Take a short length of solid conductor copper wire, say 14 or 16 gauge and set it straigt up and down in the hole, then insert the bolt an tighten it up. The copper will deform and give the bolt something to bite into and allow you to tighten the bolt. Just don't overtighten it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to use self tapping (self drilling) screw which worked very well (as suggested by Ranger). Thank you Ranger, Mark C, and Submarriner 409!

Thanks
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts