Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, please take a look at the attached image. Noticed that rust bubble recently. It's the only one on the original paint job, on the passenger side door. Really nothing serious, about 5mm wide and not deep, but I don't want it to get worse. What should I do? Dig it out with a pen knife, add a tad of naval jelly etc. only to the rust, then wash it and use touch-up paint? Or more? Thanks a lot. Scott

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
About all you can do for a quick fix is spot sand, and touch it up. 3M used to make a fiberglass spot sanding pen, take a look online. A pen knife doesn't quite cut it.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
A Dremel will do just fine with a small wire wheel on it. Better to go a little further out, 1/8"-1/4" or so, past the obvious rust, just to make sure there's none hiding.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Better to physically remove all the rust rather than just convert it. You could use a rust converter if you wanted though.

There is a product called POR 15. It's a sealant, can even be used over rust as long as it's not flakey. Lord makes a similar product as well. Both are black, glossy, and self level very well. You could use it instead of touch up paint, since your car is black. Not cheap though, and probably not worth it for such a small job, unless you have other projects you could use it for.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
POR15 is VERY expensive. A qt will cost you about $55. Chassis Saver (same thing) will run you about $45 a qt.

Might try something like this stuff (MUCH cheaper and works pretty well), but don't expect much. Chances are it WILL come back no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If you want to do a quick repair that'll last a while scrape the rust off and brush some gloss black Rustoleum or other similar rust paint over the spot. If the rest of the paint is good and you want to do a decent job leave it the way it is and get a place that does spot paint repairs to fix it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I'm actually familiar with POR-15; used their motorcycle gas tank kit once. Worked great.

I'll definitely remove the rust with the Dremel. If I do that though, should I also use some chemical rust treatment afterward? Or just grind/brush it off (including the nearby surrounding paint), prime and paint?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Personally, if I was sure I got all of the rust with the sanding, I wouldn't bother with rust treatment. If you find that there is some flakey material that sanding won't remove, then a little won't hurt.

The only reason I don't like it is that it can damage the surrounding paint. Granted, this is a DIY spot repair and will never look perfect, but I'd do whatever possible to keep the repair as small as I could.

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
If I do that though, should I also use some chemical rust treatment afterward? Or just grind/brush it off (including the nearby surrounding paint), prime and paint?
Most of that treatment needs rust to adhere to.

My daughters SLS had rust on the trailing edge of the drivers side rear door on the inside where the skin is glued to the door. I took a grinder to it and ground all the rust off until I had shiny metal. Being in the door jamb I wasn't too concerned. Painted it with the stuff I posted above, then primed and painted it. Looked like new. Six months later it was back. :annoyed: They don't call it cancer for nothing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not encouraging, Ranger. But I gotta try. Anyone know how to remove that top chrome exterior molding on the door of an Eldo Biarritz? Since the bubble is up against it, I figure I should do the job right and remove the molding first. Fisher body manual isn't very helpful. It shows five different molding attachment methods, and doesn't explain exactly which goes with which model nor how to detach them. Slide forward/backward? Disassemble door and unscrew from the inside? Thanks again all, Scott

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
That molding may be affixed with a 3M double sided molding tape, but you are right, it has to come off. Chances are that the rust has worked it's way under it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the Fisher manual, it's not held on by adhesive. And it doesn't feel like it is either. Here's the page from Fisher. Previous page says top molding is either A or B:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
A and probably the middle bottom one is plastic clips. Very carefully pry the chrome away from the body and you should be able to see what's behind it if it's plastic or metal. With plastic the trim just pops off, but quite often with clips that old they break. With metal you have to get to the screw or nut from behind.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Brougham, so you mean the holder inside the molding is plastic, and the stud itself on the body is metal?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Yes. If it's the plastic clips that hold it on. It looks like a nail head stuck on the panel of the car that the plastic clip slides over and the trim fits over the clip. The clip stays on the car and the trim comes off the clip. Sometimes it pries off, sometimes you need to push up or down on the trim and pry the opposite side.

For what you are doing you are probably better off to just scrape the paint and rust off that you can without removing the trim and then brush on some sort of black rust paint. The rust will come back at some point but I wouldn't want to pull the trim off potentially breaking the clips or scratching the paint in the process just to fix that spot and have it come back again anyway in 6 months or a year like Ranger's experience.

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
I kind of thought it was after '85 when GM wised up and quit drilling holes to hold those pieces on. They just caused the problem you have. You can bet money that when you get that strip off, you'll find a mounting hole right there. You might consider replacing it with tape.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
If it's the type of retainer brougham is referring to, there's no hole. There are studs welded to the body panels after they're stamped. The plastic clips are almost definitely still available through body shop supply shops. But the trick is finding the correct one...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. I might do as Brougham suggests.

Getting creative, I've been looking at Eldo chrome moldings for sale on eBay, to see the design. I can't find an Eldo version, but I could find Seville moldings. See attached:

The Seville is the only model I know with similar chrome top door moldings. And as you can see, it's screwed on from the inside. I think the Eldo Biarritz might be similar, because wiggling that molding moves it zero. It's on there firmly, as if held on with screws.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts