Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I have read and posted about oil consumption before, but I need to know (or at least get a feel) of how long my oil-burner will last.

When I bought my car at 55k miles, it was using a quart every 800 miles.

Now that I'm almost done with my Auto-rx treatment and have switched to Mobil1 10w40 syn, I'm getting probably 1100 per quart. I think it may improve to 1200 per quart, which I can (reluctantly) live with. (I'm at 60k now).

If I only have sloppy rings causing this, I don't think that will effect longevity much, however I wanted to know if anyone has like 90k miles AND is using a quart every 1200 - 1500 miles?

If I get some YES answers, I'll have the confidence to keep the car for a couple of years.

I hope this post is clear - Thanks !

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little bit of good news...

Because I think there's rules about posting cars for sale here, I didn't, but there's a 2004 in Craigslist in Los Angeles that has 166,000 miles on it and he says it runs like new.

This doesn't address my point about longeveity AND oil usage, but it does say something for these engines' longevity when assembled properly.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
i have an 03 with @ 81K on it, and i dont burn that much oil...i purchased my car used also like you did, and i have never had a problem. i dont know if the previous owner had this problem taken care of or what, but my car runs great

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
I have an 05 3.6l with almost 104k miles on it. It always has Mobil 1 5w30 in it for the past 102k miles and burned or took about 1 qt every 5-6k miles depending of my driving habits and situation. Last oil change (about 2k miles), there were no mobil 1 5w30 available wherever I was so I took some Mobil 1 10w30 and from then, the car took about 1 qt for 1k miles.

Last saturday, I flushed the oil that, btw looked like brown liquid (almost water kinda like) and put some Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in the crankcase. This morning I was at home and right now, I'm 700 kms aways from home with my car. I'll check the dipstick tomorrow morning only and if I dont need, I wont put any oil in it and saturday night, I'm suppose to be back home so I'll park the car the exact same way that I filled the car with the new oil so I'll get the same reading and I'll keep you posted on that.

Btw, my car doesn't smoke anything from the exhaust on cold startup or when at normal temperature, when you gun it, no smoke. (I was behing the car and my friend was gunning the car so I can tell there was no smoke). I'm sure it has something to do with the oil (maybe a bad batch, I dont know) but I can assure you that the engine is wearing very nicely due to a lot of used oil analysis. I change the oil only when the OLM tells me to do it (between 10k miles-13k miles because I do almost only highway).

I live in my car and I do approx 30-40k miles a year in it and I can tell when there's something different and changing from Mobil1 10w30 to PP 5w30, there's a difference in the engine responsivness and the sound also. (I'm not a mechanic but I know my car) And yes, I have a small seepage from the timing chain cover since 80k miles and I check the leak at every fill of gas.

the Auto-Rx, I dont know.. I never heard of it and never saw the real results about it so I dont know.. the 10w40 oil you're using.. I wont try it in my car because the engineers that build my engine did some test and requires 5w30 or 10w30 (first number I dont car its for cold start) but the 30 weight, it could be for something and the vvt.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
well, after posting my personnal info here, I went out side and checked the oil level after 721km on the oil. It didn't moved a bit. It still at the full mark. I guess the problem I had was the batch of the Mobil 1 10w30 that I bought at Wal-Mart. Usually, after 800kms on the 10w30, it was down .5 qt. Now with PP after 721kms, it still at the full mark.

I'll keep you posted after my trip.

·
Registered
2016 CTS4 Black
46 Posts
I live in my car and I do approx 30-40k miles a year in it and I can tell when there's something different and changing from Mobil1 10w30 to PP 5w30, there's a difference in the engine responsivness and the sound also. (I'm not a mechanic but I know my car)
Ya know... I've seen this comment several times now on how people notice something different based on what oil is in the car. I'm sure that the poster believes this, but my initial impression was that this can't be possible. It must be some type of placebo effect. The driver is subconsciously looking for a difference and the mind provides it. But after seeing this so many times here and on BITOG I'm wondering... is this possible?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
A small update. I'm at the middle of my business trip and I've done a total of almost 2k miles on the oil and the oil level didn't move at all. Its still at the full mark. I guess there was a bad batch at wal-mart of mobil 1.

I love Pennzoil Platinum :D

Big Ed, to answer you, I think yes it is possible. Its not all engine's oil that have the same anti-wear, anti-stress, same molecular formulation, same heat resistance etc, so I have to say yes, you can hear or feel a difference when switching from different oil brands but not always but if someone really knows the sound of his car, then I have to say yes.

I'm a freak about noise so when there's something I dont like, I change it or try different stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts