Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have smelled antifreeze since I bought the car but have found no leaks. It will only smell after a fairly long trip, short trips it doesn't smell at all. What could be the cause of this? The dealership has looked at it but say they can't find anything.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Since the smell is inside the car the leak (or perhaps just some "weeping") may involve the heater core or related connections as opposed to the under the hood coolant-related plumbing.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the smell is inside the car the leak (or perhaps just some "weeping") may involve the heater core or related connections as opposed to the under the hood coolant-related plumbing.

I didn't clarify when I smelled the smell. I don't smell it inside but rather when we stop and get out of the car. But I've also checked for wetness inside, none yet.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Could be this.

Cooling System - Coolant Leaks From Radiator

Bulletin No.: 05-06-02-005A
Date: November 03, 2005
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Coolant Leak (Replace Radiator)

Models:
2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Built Prior To and Including VIN Breakpoint 50193910
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the part information with a new part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-02-005 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition
Some customers may comment on a coolant leak. Upon investigation, the technician may find that the leaks appears to be coming from the lower radiator tank near the lower hose outlet.
Cause
The cooling system may experience increased internal pressures during sustained high RPMs at elevated operating temperatures. This increased pressure may cause a weakening of the core-to-tank mating surface.
Correction
Replace the radiator with a redesigned radiator, P/N 19129908.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Jack up car at night, securing with solid jack stands. Get a large piece of cardboard or carpet remnant, and slide under there with a flashlight when engine is warm. Looks for stains and possible drips. Take your time. Slide hand around hose clamps at all hoses. May need to pull overflow tank loose from mounting bolts to see small leak.

Do this if service bulletins do not help. Or take to another GM dealer.

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
...cooling system may experience increased internal pressures during sustained high RPMs at elevated operating temperatures. ....
I like how GM always spins these bulletins to blame the driver for subjecting the car to unusual abuse.
No wonder the dealership service writers are always suspicious of us.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
187 Posts
I didn't clarify when I smelled the smell. I don't smell it inside but rather when we stop and get out of the car. But I've also checked for wetness inside, none yet.
Are you positive its an antifreeze smell? The reason I ask is because I'm having the same problem. I don't smell it inside the car but when I get out after I have been driving. I took it to the dealership about a month ago and they replaced one of my motor mounts but the smell is still there. A couple of times I actually saw a wet spot under the car but I don't see it anymore. I guess I have another leaking motor mount.
I just walked to the garage door and took a good smell, it may be possible to mistake it for an antifreeze smell. Have them check those out to make sure they aren't leaking.
I guess I'll take mine back in before I take off for the Nopi Nationals in Atlanta.

Oh yeah, one question for you guys. When you take your car for service or repairs, do the service manager offer you a loaner until your car is done(way to work), should they do this?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you positive its an antifreeze smell? The reason I ask is because I'm having the same problem. I don't smell it inside the car but when I get out after I have been driving. I took it to the dealership about a month ago and they replaced one of my motor mounts but the smell is still there. A couple of times I actually saw a wet spot under the car but I don't see it anymore. I guess I have another leaking motor mount.
I just walked to the garage door and took a good smell, it may be possible to mistake it for an antifreeze smell. Have them check those out to make sure they aren't leaking.
I guess I'll take mine back in before I take off for the Nopi Nationals in Atlanta.

Oh yeah, one question for you guys. When you take your car for service or repairs, do the service manager offer you a loaner until your car is done(way to work), should they do this?

I'll have to check them. Like you said, I haven't seen any leaks. It just seems like I'm having problem after problem. It almost makes me wish I had gotten another GTO.

When I bought my car I signed a paper with the dealership that states I will get a loaner but they always try to get out of it because they know we have 5 cars and 1 motorcycle.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V Black;08 Yukon Denali
276 Posts
Could be this.

Cooling System - Coolant Leaks From Radiator

Bulletin No.: 05-06-02-005A
Date: November 03, 2005
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Coolant Leak (Replace Radiator)

Models:
2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Built Prior To and Including VIN Breakpoint 50193910
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the part information with a new part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-02-005 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition
Some customers may comment on a coolant leak. Upon investigation, the technician may find that the leaks appears to be coming from the lower radiator tank near the lower hose outlet.
Cause
The cooling system may experience increased internal pressures during sustained high RPMs at elevated operating temperatures. This increased pressure may cause a weakening of the core-to-tank mating surface.
Correction
Replace the radiator with a redesigned radiator, P/N 19129908.
I had a faint coolant smell for a while, only in my garage, so I took it to the dealer. They replaced the radiator under warranty (just like what darkman states above) and the smell was immediately gone. No visual leaks, no fluid on the ground at all. Service Mgr said it was such a small leak on the hose outlet that it would not spill fluid, as it would evap or dry from the heat before it could go anywhere due to the leak being so tiny. Just my experience, so I would try another dealer, or at least provide them with the TSB darkman has above if/when you go back.

·
Registered
04 RAVEN BLACK CTS-V: FREEFLOW INTAKE w/K&N, MAGNAFLOW, CAGS
289 Posts
Hey,

I had my radiator replaced on my 04 with the same issues; the reason you almost never seen fluid is because it leaks onto the plastic shroud and puddles there. One of the main reasons I knew I had a problem was because the overflow was extremely low plus the temp was running a little high consistently. Anyway, my two cents!!

James

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
Hey,

I had my radiator replaced on my 04 with the same issues; the reason you almost never seen fluid is because it leaks onto the plastic shroud and puddles there. One of the main reasons I knew I had a problem was because the overflow was extremely low plus the temp was running a little high consistently. Anyway, my two cents!!

James
Exactly what happened to mine, the leak never made it to the ground. Had to get a flash light to see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts