Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 64 replies 11 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 · (Edited)
New to the forum but would appreciate your help.

• antifreeze smell
  • windows fog
  • overheating

I got the sensor saying the antifreeze level is low. I add antifreeze last night, then drive to work today. I began smelling antifreeze at lunch, then attempted to drive home from work. The smell started faintly, then got stonger. The temperature at first flucuates between 205-217, then about 3 miles later jumped, at last check to 251 and began to smoke inside the cabin, fogging up windows. I pull over (since I can't see) pop the hood, but see no smoke atthe engine, only faintly on the back panel (firewall). All smoke is inside the cabin, witha small fluid drip on the passenger side floor. I was told at first by my brother it is a cracked/blown head or block. I then talked to a friend that works on cars, who says it is a heater core. Please help.

#57 ·
I finally got down to pulling the purge line as you suggested Ranger. Very little coolant flowed at disconnect ofthe line. At times no coolant flowed for at least 5-8 seconds. As I revved the engine, a little more coolant came out, but never consistenly. Should the coolant flow be steady or just intermittent? I will take a wire to it tomorrow, then try test again.

My bad on waiting so long to pull the purge line. :thepan:

#60 ·
Purge line should constantly flow just water, little bit at idle, lots at higher RPMs. At higher RPMs the water stream should shoot a couple of feet out the end of the tube. If its spitting then there is air (or combustion gas) in the crossover pipe which will cause the water pump to cavitate and decrease the flow rate out of the pump. If its not flowing at all, or just trickling out it may be plugged or partially plugged at the fitting near the water pump.

#61 ·
It's definately not flowing steady, either fast or slow. It will spit, then nothing for a few seconds then repeat. I will try to rev engine to gauge the flow. You also said water, not antifreeze. I would assume it will flow whichever you have running in your tank. Correct?

I'll keep you updated.

BTW, does anyone know of a good shop in the Kansas City area?

#62 ·
It's definately not flowing steady, either fast or slow. It will spit, then nothing for a few seconds then repeat. I will try to rev engine to gauge the flow. You also said water, not antifreeze. I would assume it will flow whichever you have running in your tank. Correct?

I'll keep you updated.

BTW, does anyone know of a good shop in the Kansas City area?
Correct.

I agree with Mark, you definitely have air or exhaust gases in the cooling system.

#63 ·
I ran a wire through purge line, then started the vehicle. The coolant ran consistently, with more flow as i revved the engine. No sputter and stop as it did yesterday. I smell absolutely no coolant through the exhaust, only a faint burnt smell of a standard exhaust.

If I have the vehicle running, then open the overflow, after about a minute, should the coolant begin to bubble over the reservoir and out the overflow hose. As I remember the temp was at 206.

#64 ·
If I have the vehicle running, then open the overflow, after about a minute, should the coolant begin to bubble over the reservoir and out the overflow hose. As I remember the temp was at 206.
Yes. With the cap off, the system is unpressurized and thus lowers the boiling point to about 224 if I remember correctly for a 50/50 Dex/water mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.