Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 03 DTS, 25K miles I notice when it is pulled in the garage I can smell anitfreeze at the front of othe car for 30 minutes or so. It has done this since I got in in march with 21K miles.(anitfreeze & thermostat changed in April 22K miles) I only notice it a little when parked outside if there is no wind. It seems to be coming from under the hood, no smell at exhaust. The level is not dropping enought to notice and nothing dripping. I marked the coolant tank today while cold to look any tiny drop. If I remove the plastic engine intake cover can I see the WP incase it has a small weep? I do know it had a WP mounting plate leak repaired at about 12K, and they could see it puddling before the rpr. Is this normal, anyone else have this happening?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Ranger mentioned that he had a pinhole leak at one point which was causing his coolant odor on the SAME model year as yours. The problem is it is such a small leak it is probably drying up before it hits the ground. Check all the connections to the surge tank and then look underneath them and see if you can see any residue of the coolant. You have a very small leak.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Yeah, I had the same problem. I finally found a wet spot on the trans right under the EGR valve. The leak was in the crossover manifold. I think that is somewhat common from what I hear. Repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Lots of GM products have had that problem. Some people think the yellow antifreeze is eating up the intake manifold gaskets. I had a Pontiac and 2 Buicks with that problem. Under warranty. If you are out of warranty, talk with srvc mgr. He might help you.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look again. I have more problems now. Yesterday the car was unlocked and I opened the pass front door, leaned in and pulled the hood release. After looking around with a flashligh I closed the hood (did not touch anything) and now all pwr is off. Nothing, no lights, no clicks nothing. Did I trip the security system and if so how do I reset it? I am at work so this is based on my wifes description. Once I get home I will check battery etc.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The warranty was up 6/25, I have extended with $100 ded. Other than annoying will it hurt to ignore it for a while as long as the coolant level stays up? Ranger was it only leaking external?

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked under the EGR valve and don't see anything or any residue on top of the trans, I will keep looking for tracks. Thanks. Since I had reported the smell back in April but they found nothing it may still be warranty sice the smell is getting a little worse. We will see how it turns out once I find it since they never wrote it down. Luckily I know the service manager and he remembered they looked for the leak while changing the thermo & antifreeze, but found nothing..

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Easy way to find the leak would be to have it pressure tested, should find the leak fairly quickly. As long as you aren't losing coolant I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You may want to check the sides of the radiator, not sure if the 03 uses one with pastic sides, but worth a look.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
Yes. mine was external. Check the bottom edge of the water pump cover. My '97 had a little (smellable) seepage there. Took forever to locate it.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The edge of the WP cover makes sense because that was repaired once before I got the car. I will look there. I don't see anything under the EGR on the trans. The smell does seem closer to the radiator so I will check there as well.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
Radiator side tanks are known to develop small cracks that are hard to find. Coolant will evaporate before it drips. Pressurizing the cooling system and letting it sit will usually locate the leak. Dried Dex will leave a telltale whitish residue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts